Big Groups - Say Cheese?

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Big Groups - Say Cheese?

Postby SoCal Steve on Thu May 26, 2005 10:17 am

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get natural looking smiles from a large wedding party. Any suggestions on what you have them say, or what you say to them to get a nice smile out of everyone?

Serious suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
SoCal Steve

Postby JordanP on Thu May 26, 2005 10:21 am

I use anything with the final sound or eeee such as monkey or sexy etc. I'm also ready to fire another shot off pretty quickly after my first one as relaxed smiles and laughter often follows just after people have seen your flash go off (they think it is safe then ... hehehehe )

edit ... I get young kids to count to 3 with me then I grab the shot at the end of 'three'
Craig
JordanP

Postby darb on Thu May 26, 2005 10:23 am

i often shoot groups of people (just friends and family) i find that you basically have to be quite vocal (even if you feel shy or like youre bossing around) and really have a happy fun voice and be firm with instructions ... ill often be taking shots and semi-yelling at the same time to get people to smile, or not walk off after the first frame etc.

comes down to interpersonal skills.

Failing that, ply them full of piss :)
darb

Postby SoCal Steve on Thu May 26, 2005 10:57 am

darb wrote:Failing that, ply them full of piss :)

It's a really big group, but I figure a gallon should probably still cover it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, If I have it there, I may get frustrated and end up throwing it on them!
SoCal Steve

Postby gstark on Thu May 26, 2005 11:03 am

Rather than "cheese" or "monkey', I have them say "sex", which provides a softer smile.

For something more natural, I then ask them to remember what it was like.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Thu May 26, 2005 11:04 am

Groups of kids always giggle if you say "Underpants". In fact, I still chuckle a bit myself.

I agree with Jordan, the best photo op is often just after everyone thinks you have taken the shot. It is good to take several in quick succession (which of course, you can with the d70)

Darb's point about being in control is spot on too, you need to be something of a performer with large groups to maintain their attention.

Saying something slightly risque is good, that will vary according to the group. It must be only slightly risque in the context of who you are shooting. (ie, "Bloomers" for a bunch of 70+ will do the trick, but you might need to try something stronger for a football team for instance)

Have fun
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby darb on Thu May 26, 2005 11:11 am

Greg B wrote:Groups of kids always giggle if you say "Underpants". In fact, I still chuckle a bit myself.

I agree with Jordan, the best photo op is often just after everyone thinks you have taken the shot. It is good to take several in quick succession (which of course, you can with the d70)

Darb's point about being in control is spot on too, you need to be something of a performer with large groups to maintain their attention.

Saying something slightly risque is good, that will vary according to the group. It must be only slightly risque in the context of who you are shooting. (ie, "Bloomers" for a bunch of 70+ will do the trick, but you might need to try something stronger for a football team for instance)

Have fun

with the girls I find you have to make them feel like its fun, reassure them that you will never let an unflattering shot be seen.

With "tough guys" who stand there with a blank look being grumpy about it (ala some of my mates), i find if youre to the point and tell them that theyre being grumpy sods and stop being so, putting them on the spot, they tend to drop the attitude and actually smile for the shot.
darb

Postby Killakoala on Thu May 26, 2005 11:22 am

You can try your heart out to get everyone to look at the camera and smile but sometimes there are just too many rebels in the crowd as in the group photo i took yesterday below. Some sailors hiding behind others, one distracted by someone walking past, some who just don't want to be there so don't smile etc....

What's a phot to do??? 8)

Good luck in your endeavour :)

Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby sirhc55 on Thu May 26, 2005 11:27 am

I think the best approach is to say ”I will rip your bloody heads off if you don’t smile”, this seems to work - even if it is smile approaching fear :lol: 8)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby JordanP on Thu May 26, 2005 11:38 am

sirhc55 wrote:I think the best approach is to say ”I will rip your bloody heads off if you don’t smile”, this seems to work - even if it is smile approaching fear :lol: 8)

:D :D :D :D :D

Must try that one
Craig
JordanP

Postby SoCal Steve on Thu May 26, 2005 11:47 am

This all helps a lot.
Much appreciated.

Steve
SoCal Steve

Postby Geoff on Thu May 26, 2005 12:05 pm

JordanP wrote:
sirhc55 wrote:I think the best approach is to say ”I will rip your bloody heads off if you don’t smile”, this seems to work - even if it is smile approaching fear :lol: 8)

:D :D :D :D :D

Must try that one

hahahah...I can just imagine it 'ok people, lets get a big group shot around the happy couple, now smile or I will rip your bloody heads off' (pirate type laugh)..hehehe.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby darb on Thu May 26, 2005 12:10 pm

the type of people is probably something to consider as others have pointed out ... if its a bunch of rowdy aussie yobs, then do as they do ... if its quiet polite mature grandma's, then likewise ...
darb

Postby Matt. K on Thu May 26, 2005 2:47 pm

I NEVER ask groups to smile and I never count down,,,1,,,2,,,etc. It just tenses everybody up. I ask the group to puff up their chests and stand tall....C'mon PUFF it up! And then fire off a shot. Repeat this a number of times and try and get them to exagerate the pose. This normally gives a nice dynamic image.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Return to Tips and tricks