wide angle with lens hood

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

wide angle with lens hood

Postby Vicareyus on Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:11 pm

Hi, some advice needed. Some photos I have taken at wide angle with lens hood on show the lens hood at the four corners of the frame. Is this related to low light and maximum aperture?? Has anyone else had this experience?
Havent a photo to demostrate, as they are all too crappy to upload to my smugmug site because of the problem - but will do so if people aren't sure what I am talking about.
Vic
Vicareyus

Re: wide angle with lens hood

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:23 pm

Vicareyus wrote:Hi, some advice needed. Some photos I have taken at wide angle with lens hood on show the lens hood at the four corners of the frame. Is this related to low light and maximum aperture?? Has anyone else had this experience?
Havent a photo to demostrate, as they are all too crappy to upload to my smugmug site because of the problem - but will do so if people aren't sure what I am talking about.
Vic

Hi Vicareyus

What lens are you using and are you using flash?
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Vicareyus on Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:34 pm

sorry, should have specified - just the kit lens. No flash used and camera flash didnt fire. Here is an example (not a great photo mind you!)

Thanks

Vic
Vicareyus

Postby birddog114 on Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:47 pm

Is it the thick UV filter at the front?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Vicareyus on Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:05 pm

I always have a skylight filter on for protection, but dont think it is a very thick one - jut standard. Maybe I should stop using the lens hood all the time?
Vicareyus

Postby Greg B on Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:11 pm

Vic, I haven't had any vignetting from the hood even at full wide angle, and I have a filter on there too.

Have you got the hood turned to the correct position - the circle should be at the top, not the dot

cheers
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby louiek on Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:41 pm

I remember reading a post on dpreview, where the poster had a similar problem, that was caused by the hood not being attached properly.

Louie
louiek

Postby Vicareyus on Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:24 pm

thanks all, I'll have to have a good look "under the hood" so to speak. Maybe waving a screwdriver at it will help - it sometimes does with cars!

Vic
Vicareyus

Postby Onyx on Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:45 am

Yeah, rotate the hood until it 'clicks' solidly - it will feel like you're about to break the all-plastic-fantastic kit lens, but you won't.
Onyx

Postby Vicareyus on Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:46 pm

...it clicks?...oh, so it does!
I always wondered how they could have designed something that always felt like it was going to fall off.
I think my head might fall off one of these days if I don't click it on properly!
And he then retired sheepishly to his cave....(where maybe I'll find some nice B&W nature photos)
Thanks Onyx
Vicareyus

Postby Onyx on Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:58 pm

Glad you got that sorted Vic.

Yes I agree - it's time to take some B&W shots now. :)
Onyx

Postby bimborocks on Tue May 03, 2005 4:19 pm

just read this post and thought how stupid am i. I don't use the hood very often cause it always seemed to fall off cause it never seemed to fit on tightly.

It isn't going to fall anywhere now it has 'clicked' - Vicareyus your not the only one.

:P James
bimborocks

Postby rokkstar on Tue May 03, 2005 5:17 pm

Vicareyus wrote:...it clicks?...oh, so it does!
I always wondered how they could have designed something that always felt like it was going to fall off.
I think my head might fall off one of these days if I don't click it on properly!
And he then retired sheepishly to his cave....(where maybe I'll find some nice B&W nature photos)
Thanks Onyx

He he

I did exactly the same thing. Then came on here and gary told me that my hood wasnt on properly. First time I did it I thought I was going to twist the lens off!"!!!

Easy mistake.
rokkstar

Postby pippin88 on Tue May 03, 2005 6:13 pm

Yeah, at first I was very wary of taking it off and on, but it gets easier to do.
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby Greolt on Tue May 03, 2005 6:43 pm

I actualy find there is a slight trick to fitting and removivg this hood.

If you grip and very slightly sqeeze in the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock points on the hood it happens very easy.
But if you do this at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock it becomes quite difficult.
At least on my one anyway.

Try it you might be surprised.

Greolt
Greolt

Return to Tips and tricks