Pixmantec RawShooter | premium 2006

This section contains links that may be of interest to DSLR owners. Things like software, or firmware updates, will be found here.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Pixmantec RawShooter | premium 2006

Postby MCWB on Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:23 am

Well, the big (and non-free) brother of RawShooter essentials 2005 is here: RawShooter premium 2006.

http://www.pixmantec.com/products/rawsh ... emium.html

RawShooter | premium 2006 compared to RawShooter | essentials 2005 includes extra functionality such as:

Camera Raw support for Canon EOS 5D / 1D II N
RAW vs. RAW Comparison
Curves / Levels Support
Integrated Downloader
Personalized Appearance
FastBrowse
Cropping
Image straighting / Arbitrary Rotation
Magnifier
FastProof Mode
Batch/bulk Renaming
Output Resizing
Correction Tools (Vibrance, Color Balance, Noise Suppression)
Enhanced White Balance Correction
Extended Color Support

Free trial available, should be interesting!
MCWB

Postby leek on Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:25 am

For the RSE fans, there is a special offer on for the next 3 days whereby the premium version is only $59 instead of $99.

They also have a comparison table that compares its features to RSE, Capture One and ACR... Don't trust it entirely though because they have understated ACR & Bridge's features a lot...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:24 am

That's AUD$ 82.65

Pretty damn cheap for what it is. I'm going to get it :D

I prefer RSE over NC now, even though I used to be a staunch NC user but it was just too damn slow :( I don't have CS2 so can't benefit from Bridge and I don't have a Mac so can't benefit from Aperture :evil:
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:05 pm

At first glance it's very freaking impressive! :D You can customise pano cuts, batch output with resize options, curve adjustments, side by side comparisons of your snapshots...just to name a few.

I'll really give this a go tonight and see what else I can do with it. For now it's very impressive and well worth the purchase for me :D
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby dooda on Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:03 pm

I'm looking forward to the results Piro. Think I might get this for myself.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby leek on Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:04 pm

dooda wrote:I'm looking forward to the results Piro. Think I might get this for myself.

You can download a trial version from the website - it's valid for 15 days...
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby dooda on Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:47 am

I did the download, and think I'm going to buy it, though the lack of pull down menus at first is a little strange, I couldn't figure out how to rotate for a while (apparently you have to do that in thumbnail) and the conversion to tiff and jpeg seemed really confusing. I suppose once I get the hang of it it'll be great. the price seems quite good, and the tools are really effective. I wish they had a clone tool and then I wouldn't have to deal with PS as often.

I also organize with Picasa at the moment, but I can't figure out how to use it now when sending the pictures through RSP first. Anyone figure this out yet?
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby ajo43 on Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:36 pm

I have been looking at this over the weekend and although I really love the software inteface and the features I just can't get past some of the colour renditions. I'll try and post some examples later but basically it generates some pretty wacky skin tones and blues in the sky.

I have compared raw shots processed by:

Capture One
Rawshooter
Nikon Capture

My summary of the different packages:

Capture One - seems to be the current market leader. I like the quality of the output of pictures. Very close to Nikon Capture quality. The interface was much easier to use than NC but still not as easy as rawshooter.

Rawshooter - fantastic interface and very easy to use. To me it is just let down by the colour rendition of skin tones and some sky scenes. The pro version with curves is the way to go.

Nikon Capture - still the best picture quality but sooo slow and not anywhere as easy to batch process files as the others. Still the only program that automatically uses the in camera curve you have loaded which is really good.

My money, still trialing. The perfect product for me is rawshooter but with better colour rendition (maybe I'm not doing something right so try for yourself).
Last edited by ajo43 on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards

Jonesy
ajo43

Postby MCWB on Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:22 pm

FWIW Jonesy I've had the same skin tone rendition problems with RSE2005. It's the one thing that bugs me, it's great otherwise. Thanks for the summary! :)
MCWB

Postby huynhie on Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:26 pm

I've gone back to Nikon capture after the hassle of trying to sort out the skin tone on Rawshooter essentials.

In doing so I also had to upgrade my aging PC to something with more oomp to handle Nikon Capture :shock:
huynhie

Return to Important links