Sensor size article

This section contains links that may be of interest to DSLR owners. Things like software, or firmware updates, will be found here.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Sensor size article

Postby johndec on Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:48 pm

I'm not sure how much credibility one should assign to someone who likes to be known as "Digital Darrell" :lol: but it makes an interesting read, especially for the Canonites contemplating a 5D.

http://www.digitaldarrell.com/DDBlog-ShouldNikonMakeA35mmSizedSensor.asp
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby Mitchell on Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:38 pm

It is interesting to read that the sensors have a significant fall off as light comes from progressively greater angles - the same principle also applies in the human eye (the Stiles-Crawford effect). This is overcome in the eye by having a curved retina, so that light coming peripherally still strikes the retina perpendicularly.

Maybe someday digital sensors won't require microlenses, and will accept angled light more like film.

I wonder if the solution is to change lenses to straighten the light, or to design the sensors to be curved?
Mitchell

Return to Important links