Any good warehouses or buildings for shoots?

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Any good warehouses or buildings for shoots?

Postby Cyrus on Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:12 pm

Over the last few months I have been working real hard to find an old warehouse (run down but safe) for the purpose of a model shoot. On most ocassions I am told that the owner or person holding the lease is not prepared to let anybody take photos in their buildings.

Does anybody know of a place where I can use a large old building (dingy look) to conduct a black and white style shoot or fashion style modelling shoot?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cyrus
It is more important to click with people than to click the shutter.
Alfred Eisenstaedt - father of photojournalism
Cyrus

Postby mitedo on Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:23 pm

Hi Cyrus i have a mate who has an old shed / warehouse around the Doggett st area in Fortitude valley, if you like i can ring him, last time we spoke it was still up for rent might be a go
Kevin
mitedo

Postby Cyrus on Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:36 am

mitedo,

Mate that would be fantastic. I used to work in the Valley and only a few years ago there were old disused warehouses everywhere and now that I want one they have all been demolished and re-developed :cry:

If you wouldn't mind asking your friend I would really appreciate it.

Thanks heaps mate

Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby Troppo on Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:52 pm

Hi Cyrus

This is a bit of a long shot, but i know an old building in Springwood which has been empty for many months and i know the owner does not care who goes in and out. I can give you the details perhaps something can come of it.

Troppo
Stand on the shoulders of giants when ever possible, the view is extraodinary
Troppo

Postby Cyrus on Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:55 pm

Troppo, that would be really great. I can only try hey? Can you give me the address and any other additional information you may have either in this thread or via PM?

Thanks for your help everybody

Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby elffinarts on Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:25 pm

Troppo I'd love to know about that building too for the same purposes.

The dogget st building sounds good, as having worked down that end of Newstead before, I recall a heap of run down sheds and factories.

I'm going to see if any of the old print room space where the presses used to be at the Courier-Mail would be available for a shoot too. Very dark, industrial looking building on the inside where the presses used to be. I've been wanting to do a shoot there for about a decade (since I started working here) but I've yet to get security to sneak me past the safety barricades and I'd have to do the shoot after 2am and before 5am. Not many models are up for those kind of hours.
Mark Greenmantle
http://www.elffinarts.com / mark at elffinarts dot com
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Postby Troppo on Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:24 pm

The building i am talking about is the old post office building i Springwood.

It has been vacant for sometime, i don't know if it is what you want, but i have been inside and it is fairly rustic with interesting things inside such as large airconditioners, pipes and old stairways. I can make some inquiries for you if this is what you want.

You would probably be able to have access at any time, day or night.

Troppo
Stand on the shoulders of giants when ever possible, the view is extraodinary
Troppo

Postby elffinarts on Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:42 pm

8) rustic sounds good.
Thanks Troppo, I'm definitely interested to hear about availability.
Mark Greenmantle
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Postby Cyrus on Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:34 am

Rustic, Dingy run down! They are all things I am looking for. You are both legends Troppo and mitedo, I'll wait to hear back from you both!

elffinarts, it sounds like we are looking for similar locations and probably working on achieving a similar style of shoot, maybe we can work together on finding locations to satisfy our needs, that way we won't end up hijacking eachs threads etc :wink:

While I think of it, I worked in the Valley for years and unfortunately most of the old warehouses and buildings I've gone back to check out recently have been demolished :cry: I'm prepared to travel pretty much anywhere to find these locations, so they definately don't need to be only in the Valley.

Thanks again.

Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby elffinarts on Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:08 pm

Cyrus, I just really miss the old Coles building in the Valley where at least one of my former bands used to rehearse. grungy - feral space that was dirt cheap and retro.

I'm still looking and will be sure to share anything I find here as soon as I can, though I wont be using this straight away as my regular model has lots of uni assignments for a while.

Still waiting to see if I can make use of some of the heavy industrial voids in this building. I need to have the right security team on at the time to get away with it.
Mark Greenmantle
elffinarts

Postby Cyrus on Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:35 am

Mark,

I've sent you a PM mate.

Cheers
Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby DionM on Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:15 pm

Bout the closest place I've found is at the Gabba.

See here:
http://www.fotos-files-forums.net/galle ... d_Building

But its not really dark, dingy nor particularly safe :)
DionM

Postby Cyrus on Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:08 am

Thanks DionM, I see what you mean about not being very safe, I would be reluctant to take a model into that kind of environment. On the other hand I would be happy to wonder in there myself to take shots like the one you have taken. Would you mind posting the address so I can go and check it out?

Thanks
Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby DionM on Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:44 pm

Cyrus wrote:Thanks DionM, I see what you mean about not being very safe, I would be reluctant to take a model into that kind of environment. On the other hand I would be happy to wonder in there myself to take shots like the one you have taken. Would you mind posting the address so I can go and check it out?

Thanks
Cyrus

It's at the back of the carpark across from the Gabba (Stanley St side).

Trafalgar St, it is.

Canon 20D and a bunch of lovely L glass and a 580EX. Benro tripod. Manfrotto monopod. Lowepro and Crumpler bags. And a pair of Sigma teleconverters, and some Kenko tubes.
http://www.dionm.net/
DionM

Postby Dug on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:27 pm

Have you checked out the Brisbane powerhouse? It is a public space but has some amazing corners in it.

I have shot some bands and a wedding there a great space with easy access.
Dug

Postby Cyrus on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:21 am

Dug wrote:Have you checked out the Brisbane powerhouse? It is a public space but has some amazing corners in it.

I have shot some bands and a wedding there a great space with easy access.

Thanks for the suggestion Dug, are you referring the to the Powerhouse in New Farm near Fortitude Valley? The last time I went there was a few years ago after they had refurbished everything and I was under the impression that it was used by art students or something. Can somebody like me gain access for a shoot there without too much hassle?

Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby DionM on Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:37 am

Cyrus wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion Dug, are you referring the to the Powerhouse in New Farm near Fortitude Valley? The last time I went there was a few years ago after they had refurbished everything and I was under the impression that it was used by art students or something. Can somebody like me gain access for a shoot there without too much hassle?

Cyrus

Cyrus,

It is still very much a public space. I have been there to look at a few exhibitions, and it is also home to students etc. You may be able to 'book' a room or a section, perhaps - may be worth enquiring.

Canon 20D and a bunch of lovely L glass and a 580EX. Benro tripod. Manfrotto monopod. Lowepro and Crumpler bags. And a pair of Sigma teleconverters, and some Kenko tubes.
http://www.dionm.net/
DionM

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast