Looking for Large format labs

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Looking for Large format labs

Postby Troppo on Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:12 am

For all Brisbanites, can someone guide me to a Large Format Lab, i am playing with the idea of having a photo printed to about 2 -3 meters landscape width by about 700 perhaps on canvas or fine print.

In any case it would be good to know where i can go to get these things done and also, i would like to calculate the cost and the alternatives between canvas and print.

Troppo
Troppo

Postby Hendrix on Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:50 pm

I think F stop can do it, and I think spectrum can do it too
"Don't you worry about that"

Hendrix
Hendrix

Postby Troppo on Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:57 pm

Thanks Hendrix, checked out fstop, looks really good.

Troppo
Troppo

Postby elffinarts on Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:21 pm

I'm going to be visiting a digi lab on Magar Road in Wilston that I'm told has great prices and have accurate, well calibrated results.

One of my co-workers at the Courier-Mail put me onto them. :)
Mark Greenmantle
http://www.elffinarts.com / mark at elffinarts dot com
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Postby Hendrix on Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:22 am

elffinarts. whats the name of that place? and can you please report back with your finding, thanks
"Don't you worry about that"

Hendrix
Hendrix

Postby elffinarts on Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:45 pm

Sorry I havent had a chance to stop off there yet. Would have today but for the public holiday that I'm working through anyway. :roll:

edit:
Just remembered - you could also try allchromes who might do digi to prints - they are in the valley closer to newstead.

Had all my wedding photography processed there and they were reasonably priced despite the huge amounts of 6X6 B&W film used.
Mark Greenmantle
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Postby Luke Smith on Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:44 pm

prints like this are fairly common these days... the harvey norman at oxley and the new one in newstead have big epsons and canvas to do this sort of stuff.
D70s, 18-70, SB800, Nikkormat FTn, CP4500, Sigma 70-300 APO DG, Sigma 135-400 APO, Lensbabies 2.0, Brian's Hot Tub, Lack of talent, etc.
Luke Smith

Digilab Professional

Postby elffinarts on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:08 am

:idea:
Digilab Professional
72 Brook Street (cnr Maygar Rd)
Windsor
ph: 38577676

please tell them I sent you :)

FANTASTIC quality prints, brilliant range of papers and today I pick up a 32inch wide print that is only $29!!
I nearly fell over when I discovered that there the 10X8in prints are only $1.50 if you print more than 25 shots at a time.

Most of our photographers from the Courier-Mail use their service and even our Townsville shooter has his prints sent up from Digilab as well.

Seriously cant wipe the smile off my face. I'm going to be going bck there weekly at least with these prices.
Mark Greenmantle
elffinarts

Postby Atorie on Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:26 pm

elffinarts wrote:I'm going to be visiting a digi lab on Magar Road in Wilston that I'm told has great prices and have accurate, well calibrated results.

I just saw this thread and I can only agree with elffinarts. I've used digilab for all my large format printing, excellent prices and very high quality results. I have walked away satisfied everytime. The staff are friendly and are only too willing to help.

Here's their web site: http://www.digilab.com.au/
and they're at Windsor not Wilston.

As an alternative I've also heard good things about ARTnow at Yatla (just outside Beenleigh) I haven't used them though.
Michael
~~~~~
Atorie

Postby Troppo on Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:23 pm

I have checked out digilab and they seem excellent, i'm about to do some samples to see what happens, thanks for the advice.

Troppo
Stand on the shoulders of giants when ever possible, the view is extraodinary
Troppo

Postby Troppo on Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:26 pm

Atorie, i am having difficulty calibrating my monitor manualy and i am wondering if it would be possible to access that calibrator to do the job.

If you ever go past Shailer Park let me know or if i can borrow it that would be sensational.

Jacque
Stand on the shoulders of giants when ever possible, the view is extraodinary
Troppo

Postby big pix on Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:38 am

Troppo wrote:Atorie, i am having difficulty calibrating my monitor manualy and i am wondering if it would be possible to access that calibrator to do the job.

If you ever go past Shailer Park let me know or if i can borrow it that would be sensational.

Jacque

......to calibrat a moniter is fine for visual.......but if you are outputting to a printer you need to profile your screen, printer and printer stock to get the best results.

They say any monitors over 4 years old have trouble staying in profile, but I may be corrected on this
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby elffinarts on Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:38 pm

I collected that 20X32in print and I'm wicked happy with the spot on colour, tonal depth and quality of the paper that digilab handed over for the $29.

In fact, I liked it so much, I applied for work through them. :D
Mark Greenmantle
elffinarts

Postby Dug on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:23 pm

I have been using Prolab 88 Ernest st South Brisbane for years now.

Easy acess usually parking available very helpful and a full range of services both silver and digital.

Give them a try.

Mention my name Doug Steley and they will run for cover and chuck you out the door.
Dug

Postby birddog114 on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:32 pm

Dug wrote: Give them a try.

Mention my name Doug Steley and they will run for cover and chuck you out the door.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby redpoppy on Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:45 pm

Went to Digilab today for prints as I wanted multiple 10x8's ($1.50 ea!). The staff were so friendly and helpful. I will certainly use them again. Thanks for that.
redpoppy

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast