Somewhere to live in Sydney?

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Somewhere to live in Sydney?

Postby ozonejunkie on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

G'day all,

Whilst I admit this is not strictly photography related, I hope that it is okay to post it here. :-)

I have recently found out that there is a considerable chance that I will have work lined up in Sydney for approximately 3 months. Whilst this is great, I need to try and find somewhere to live for this time - on a student budget.

I will be working in Lucas Heights, so I am hoping to find somewhere to live in that general area of Sydney, as I will be (unfortunately) reliant on public transport.

There are a lot of members here that are from Sydney, so I was hoping that you would probably have a better idea of what is around then I do as far as short term accommodation options go. (I have spent the grand total of about 1 week in Sydney in my entire life, and never on the southern side!)

If this is not appropriate for this forum, then feel free to move / lock / delete this thread - I don't want to tread on any toes! :)

Thanks for any assistance / ideas, they will be greatly appreciated!

Tristan
ozonejunkie

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:44 pm

Tristan,

The good news is that it's perfectly ok for you to post this message, and I hope that you find something suitable.

The bad news is that the finding of something suitable may be a bit of a challenge, as rental accommodation in Sydney is fairly scarce.

Hopefully perhaps some of or members who don't live too far away from from Lucas Heights (we have a few in that general part or town) may know of something suitable.

Cheers, and good luck.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Somewhere to live in Sydney?

Postby sheepie on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:55 pm

ozonejunkie wrote:...am hoping to find somewhere to live in that general area of Sydney, as I will be (unfortunately) reliant on public transport.

Hrmmm - good luck on that aspect as well - I'm not sure that there would be anything in the way of Public Transport going to Lucas Heights! It's hard enough sometimes finding something more central ;)

Hope you find something - it won't be easy without your own transport.
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby ozonejunkie on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:06 pm

gstark wrote:The good news is that it's perfectly ok for you to post this message, and I hope that you find something suitable.

Thanks for that Gary. I hope I do as well! :D

sheepie wrote:I'm not sure that there would be anything in the way of Public Transport going to Lucas Heights!

That is the unfortunate truth. :( I believe they operate one bus service to Sutherland station themselves per day, other then that there "appears" to be a bus service in to Barden Ridge that comes within reasonable (3-4km) walking distance, but I have been warned of public transport in Sydney...

Tristan
ozonejunkie

Postby gstark on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:09 pm

ozonejunkie wrote:I have been warned of public transport in Sydney...

There's nothing to be worried about.

(Sorry, Joe. Sorry, Rod)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:14 pm

Tristan, I hope you find something, I would first ask the people you are going to be working with. Public transport is bad in Sydney, but Lucas Heights is the edge of Sydney almost in the bush, I would imagine very poorly served. The real bad news is that they are sometimes getting 100 people applying for flats for rent, there is a real rental crisis here at the moment. Hopefully someone from that side of Sydney knows of something. I wouldn't rule out a bicycle and somewhere close.
Glen

Postby brembo on Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:39 pm

I'm from the Sutho Shire and know a bunch of guys who work at ANSTO so I'll see if I can help (unlikely!).

Not sure on the accomodation front, especially if it's for a short time like 3 months.

Buses around the shire aren't too bad, one every 15-30min from Sutherland train station to the Menai area. Buses to/from ANSTO are non-existant, the closest a bus goes is Barden Ridge (2km down the road), a pushie is the best option (except maybe if it rains) as it's not too far a ride from Menai, a few hills between though.
brembo

Postby ozonejunkie on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:53 pm

Thanks to all for your well wishes. :-)

It looks like I have been able to line up a place to stay in Engadine, which is REALLY convenient to my needs. I really am hoping that in the three months that I am in town I will be finally able to meet up with some of the Sydney crowd, and put faces to names!

Tristan
ozonejunkie

Postby Sandy Feet on Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:11 pm

I'd be worried if I had to catch public transport in Sydney

Rod (The Bus Driver)
Sandy Feet

Postby joet on Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:45 pm

Rod,

I was even more worried about driving buses with passengers like Gary :lol:

The Retired Bus Driver :wink:
Regards

Joe
joet
500 posts - only 6 years to go

Location: 2/163 Booker Bay Rd, Booker Bay, NSW Nikon D70, D300

Postby gstark on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 am

joet wrote:Rod,

I was even more worried about driving buses with passengers like Gary :lol:

The Retired Bus Driver :wink:

Why do you think I take a car everywhere? :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Sydney