Wheres a nice place to go in sydney?

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Wheres a nice place to go in sydney?

Postby redline on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:27 pm

Wheres a nice place to take a special someone out in sydney?

I heading up north for a few days, just wondering if anyone can recommend some nice spots? I going to be staying in the Randwick area.
any suggestions?
:(
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:21 pm

Are talking about a good dinner, or ????

For a good meal, the next question is budget. At the very pointy end there's Tetsuya's - don't expect change from $200 each, and wine adds another $90 each.

Good value and location is Nick's Seafood at Cockle Bay. Reasonable value, nice outlook, not super expensive.

If you want to impress during the day, do the Gary Stark Visitor Special: Start in the morning at the fish markes. Grab some crustaceans, and maybe some sashimi. Visit the deli and grab a selection of cheeses. Visit the bottle shop and grab a bottle of Veuve. Visit the bread shop and grab a fresh, crusty baguette. Don't forget to grab some fresh strawberries and grapes at the fruit shop.

Make sure you have a rug n the car, and then head off to Balmoral Beach, and take your picnic onto the island for a nice leisurely brunch. Sydney never looks better.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby redline on Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:56 pm

are there any fish markets near the Randwick area Gary?
redline

Postby sheepie on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:14 pm

We just had a 'work' lunch ( :shock: ) at Nick's Bondi Beach Pavillion (I presume a relation of the Nick's at Cockle Bay Gary referred to above).

Really really nice, if you can put up with the view - and with no less than 3 whales playing not too far off the beach, was a magic couple of hours.
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby virgal_tracy on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:38 pm

Depends whether you have access to a car.

If we are talking about places to see and do, I'd recommend the coast walk. Start at clovelly and walk around to Bondi if you wish to go that far. Great coastal view and we throw in a walk through the cemetary for good measure.

For the city, I always recommend a walk up the Harbour Bridge pylon. Costs less than $5 ea, has a great history of the bridge and the pylon gives you a great view looking up the harbour over the Opera House and Circular Quay.

A ferry ride is always a good idea.

There's heaps of others, some depend on your mode of transport. Just let us know your interests and I'm sure we could come up with a weeks worth.
Cheers,
Vince

Space: the final frontier
virgal_tracy

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:39 pm

redline wrote:are there any fish markets near the Randwick area Gary?

Define "near".

The fishmarkets are in Pyrmont, about 5k from Randwick and just the other side of the city.

Leon, yes, they're under the same ownership.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby redline on Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:45 pm

gstark wrote:
redline wrote:are there any fish markets near the Randwick area Gary?

Define "near".

The fishmarkets are in Pyrmont, about 5k from Randwick and just the other side of the city.

Leon, yes, they're under the same ownership.

Near = walking distance. I was thinking of not hiring a car and use public transport? bad idea?
redline

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:11 pm

Public Transport?

Sydney?

ROTFLMAO!

If you're staying in Randwick, Aztecas - in Randwick - is the best Mexican eatery in Sydney. At Coogee Beach (just down the road) the Coogee Bay Hotel has a pleasant beer garden and bistro.

To get to the fish markets you'd need to catch a bus to Railway Square, and from there the tram to Pyrmont. Forget Balmoral though .... take your wares back to either Coogee or Bondi Beach, and have your brunch picnic there.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby redline on Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:33 pm

Thanks Gary,
will put that to good use.

gstark wrote:Public Transport?

Sydney?

ROTFLMAO!

If you're staying in Randwick, Aztecas - in Randwick - is the best Mexican eatery in Sydney. At Coogee Beach (just down the road) the Coogee Bay Hotel has a pleasant beer garden and bistro.

To get to the fish markets you'd need to catch a bus to Railway Square, and from there the tram to Pyrmont. Forget Balmoral though .... take your wares back to either Coogee or Bondi Beach, and have your brunch picnic there.
redline

Postby Oz_Beachside on Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:37 pm

i recommend a nice place, on the south side of sydney, about 881kms south, they have a plethora of fine dining choice, sub $100. :D
Oz_Beachside

Postby dviv on Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:45 pm

Oz_Beachside wrote:i recommend a nice place, on the south side of sydney, about 881kms south, they have a plethora of fine dining choice, sub $100. :D

Pity about the weather :roll: :D :twisted:
dviv

Postby redline on Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:57 pm

Oz_Beachside wrote:i recommend a nice place, on the south side of sydney, about 881kms south, they have a plethora of fine dining choice, sub $100. :D

in Benella?
redline

Postby Onyx on Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:44 pm

Redline, if that special someone is not a person, you'd wanna visit the hoon meccas of Auburn maccas, Livo KK or the 'Riff.

Translated to English, that's McDonalds in Auburn, and Krispy Kreme outlets in Liverpool (Orange Grove strictly speaking) and Penrith. Not for the food, but for what goes on there. Esp after wed night drags at Eastern Creek. The great western hwy to Penrith KK turns into a raceway itself.
Onyx

Postby redline on Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 pm

Onyx wrote:Redline, if that special someone is not a person, you'd wanna visit the hoon meccas of Auburn maccas, Livo KK or the 'Riff.

Translated to English, that's McDonalds in Auburn, and Krispy Kreme outlets in Liverpool (Orange Grove strictly speaking) and Penrith. Not for the food, but for what goes on there. Esp after wed night drags at Eastern Creek. The great western hwy to Penrith KK turns into a raceway itself.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. we're got noble park here to watch hoon activity.
redline

Postby Technik on Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:30 pm

redline wrote:
Onyx wrote:Redline, if that special someone is not a person, you'd wanna visit the hoon meccas of Auburn maccas, Livo KK or the 'Riff.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. we're got noble park here to watch hoon activity.

and chapel st?
D70s/D200; Tokina 16-50mm 2.8; 18-70DX ; 50mm 1.8 ; 80-200mm 2.8D ; SB600 + Stofen Omini Bouncer
Technik

Return to Sydney