Thredbo Blues Festival

This section is for members who wish to post notifications of updates to their personal galleries. Please note that as the initial you may <b>only</b> include a link to your gallery - you may not, and you must not, include any images. That is where the fun begins: other members may then click on your link, and if they particularly like an image from your gallery, then <b>they</b> may post the link to your image, from your gallery, along with reasons as to why they like the image. <i>Image critiquing is NOT permitted in this section, and images posted within this section are not considered for PotW. Posts made in this section will be excluded from the "Recent Posts" section on the front page, which means that you will need to actively seek posts here. This section will also prune itself, with stale topics being removed 14 days after the most recent post being made.<i>

Moderator: Moderators

Thredbo Blues Festival

Postby Murray Foote on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:09 pm

Here are a couple of slide shows from Thredbo Blues Festival 2006 and 2007.

They may be a bit slow for people with slower computers or access.

Kindof ironic posting them here in a way. The 2006 ones were taken with a Panasonic FZ20 5MP digicam; the 2007 ones with an FZ50. DPReview will tell you that it's impossible to take these images with such cameras. This is obviously not so but they do fail to mention the word post-processing.

I can print them up to A3+ well enough but the workflow is just too time-consuming and ultimately not sustainable. On the other hand, I think I've learned more about post-processing than I would have through an easier route. While I have, for example, a 6x17 panorama camera, I've held off picking up a DSLR because of the rapid inbuilt obselescence. Now, however, I think the technology is essentially stable and I'm about to take the plunge....

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Re: Thredbo Blues Festival

Postby Glen on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:15 pm

Welcome Murray, some nice images there, the cameras seem to work for you :wink:
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Murray Foote on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:14 am

Thank you, Glen
Murray Foote

Postby PiroStitch on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:20 am

great stuff murray. shows that it's not the gear but the person using it.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby gstark on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:31 am

Hi Murray.

Good to see you here.

Some great shots there. As Wayne says, it's not the gear, it's the 'tog.

What is the album package that you're using for these? It's not Gallery, and it doesn't seem to be jalbum.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Murray Foote on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:45 pm

Hi Gary and thanks Wayne

It is in fact JAlbum, Chameleon skin if I remember.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Postby Murray Foote on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:29 pm

Here is a link to images from Thredbo Blues Festival 2008, also from the FZ50. It involved shooting at the limit of the camera's capabilities. Images were often deliberately underexposed because there was no choice. This doesn't assist potential image quality and then required extensive post-production for noise reduction in Photoshop and other purposes.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Postby biggerry on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:44 am

not the gear but the person using it.

:agree:

Murray, some really nice images there.. i really like the 'Dallas Frasca and her Gentleman' one :D looks like a good time also!
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Murray Foote on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Thanks Gerry

Dallas is always great live too. Kind of like a mixture of ragtime and grunge.

I don't know whether you checked out the new thread I posted just after updating this one on the Narooma Blues Festival. That shows the difference a D3 can make. It just became non-viable to continue to use the FZ50 because of the extent of post-processing, apart from anything else. Admittedly there would have been work pressure ands flagging motivation issues, but it took me nine months to process these (mainly using Photoshop) as against three months with twice as many images for Narooma.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Postby Murray Foote on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:28 pm

Here is a link to some images from the Thredbo Blues Festival 2009, just last week.

There are 25 images there as well as a subfolder with those images converted to duotones. Unlike the previous Thredbo slideshows (links above) for which I used a Panasonic FZ50, for this one I had a D3. Light levels can be very low and uneven, and the tonal range extreme so it is still a challenge. One of the images might look a touch rough but it was taken at 25,600ISO with a 30-year old fisheye lens on the dancefloor (while dancing).

I initially prepared some of the images as publicity material for Glen Terry, Gail Page and her band who are playing in a free open air concert in the Sculpture Garden of the National Gallery starting 7pm on 7th February. If you are in Canberra on that day, it wil be a very special event.

Regards,
Murray
(A more general link to some of my images)
Murray Foote

Postby Murray Foote on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:04 pm

... and I actually managed to score one of my images from Thredbo on the National Gallery of Australia website. (There's also another one on the page above it though not one from Thredbo). They've actually managed to misspell my surname though that will probably get fixed on Monday. The page may or may not be there any more after the concert next Saturday.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Return to Gallery Updates