Sydney Airport

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Sydney Airport

Postby timno1 on Tue May 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Has anyone here tried to take photos at or around Sydney Airport? I have taken pics from the observation deck inside the airport and from the fence near the small beach,opposite the old tower.I was just wondering if anyone knew of any other good spots around the airport to take pics of planes landing or taking off.
timno1

Re: Sydney Airport

Postby ozimax on Tue May 06, 2008 4:05 pm

Yep, try the Krispy Kreme carpark for some good shots (if planes are landing on the third runway from the north). Alternatively drive around to the east and stand right under the flight path of aircraft coming in from the east on the east west runway. You can park only metres away.

Ozi
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby stubbsy on Tue May 06, 2008 7:01 pm

Near the control tower can give some interesting shots too, again depending on prevailing winds.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby TTT on Wed May 07, 2008 2:35 pm

Look at this website: http://www.16right.com/
"shep" mound, Qantas Drive, Foreshore road, Barton park,Eastern park . . .

Have info on how to get there, when is the best time and even photos of what those spots look like !
TTT

Postby timno1 on Wed May 07, 2008 5:46 pm

Hey TTT,thanks so much for the website link.Thats a cool site,i will have to take a trip over to the airport and try out some of the spotting areas mentioned.....thanks again.
timno1

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed May 07, 2008 5:55 pm

I'd suggest the vantage point from Melbourne's Tullamarine Airport, it doesnt have all the fog generated by all the sydney-ites talking hot air :lol:
Oz_Beachside

Postby Yi-P on Fri May 09, 2008 1:06 am

A little secret page from Mr. Sam Chui, a pro aviation photographer here in Syd (or around the world).

http://www.samchuiphotos.com/wheretospotsyd.html

Right at the end of runway 16R is very interest viewpoint for your eyes, you can literally touch an aircraft's landing gear at that point...
My personal favourite is still the control tower car park and possibly around the beach, but you need some ladders by the beach and a little stroll to get there.

Also, before leaving home, get some current info from this site:
http://www.rwy34.com/atis/
it tells you current active runway for take-off and landing. So you can decide where to go.
I borrowed a VHF/UHF receiver when I went there. Tuned into Sydney Tower's frequency, the experience was totally awesome with real radio chatters that you hear around!

And ofcourse, http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL/Fl ... efault.htm if you are after certain airline liveries.

You must be aware of security these days, I didnt have any problems with them before, but still have to play it safe.
Yi-P

Postby iluxa on Mon May 12, 2008 12:26 am

Guys, just to let you know it looks like you are not allowed to go to the "Shep" Mound (UBD ref. p275, L13) anymore. I had a lovely chat with airport security the other day and he advised that in theory you have to have a permit to walk beyond the traffic light on Foreshore Road. And there are no parking spots there anymore - restricted parking area starts right after the traffic lights. :( :( :(
iluxa

Postby miikeboyle on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:37 pm

Alot of people tend to take photos from near the helecopter area. To get there make your way to krispy kreme and drive along the little access road the goes along the outside of the airport boundary fence.

But just remember the airport can be a sensitive place to photograph so im not too sure on what security think about people taking photos.

Miike
miikeboyle

Return to Sydney