Anyone interested in a night shoot? Updated - 17th May

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Re: Anyone interested in a night shoot? Updated - 17th May

Postby colin_12 on Sat May 10, 2008 12:30 am

Roster says yes, woo hoo. :mrgreen:
All things being well I will see you all there.
Regards Colin
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby big pix on Sat May 10, 2008 10:19 am

...... looks like I will still be on location next weekend....... so ATM I am out.......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Tiberius on Sun May 11, 2008 11:33 pm

Anyone travelling by train from the Blue Mountains:

There's trackwork between Lithgow and Blacktown. There's buses running down to blacktown. Suburban trains are running between Penrith and blacktown, I think.
Tiberius

Postby colin_12 on Mon May 12, 2008 10:31 pm

I'm planning on driving down if you would like a lift Tiberius.
Regards Colin
Regards Colin
Cameras, lenses and a lust for life
colin_12

Postby dervish on Tue May 13, 2008 5:42 pm

I may be able to turn up. :D
dervish

Postby gstark on Tue May 13, 2008 6:19 pm

dervish wrote:I may be able to turn up. :D

Excellent.

The morer, the merrierer.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dervish on Wed May 14, 2008 11:17 am

where would you park if you were driving? any ideas? as i seldom drive into the city on sat evenings.
dervish

Postby gstark on Wed May 14, 2008 11:44 am

Ok ...

So that we're all on the same page for this:

This Saturday, May 17, about 4:30pm.

Mrs MacQuarie's Chair, starting from around 4:30 pm so that we can hopefully catch the sunset behind the sailboat and coathanger. From there, wandering around through Macquarie St, into the city, and then down to Darling Harbour. Bring your tripods.

Do I have that correct?

Parking: there should be some on-street metered parking at Mrs Mac's Chair. Bring coinage for the meters. There's flat daily rate weekend parking in a couple of parking stations on Sussex St adjacent to Darling Harbour.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby whitey on Wed May 14, 2008 12:09 pm

dervish wrote:where would you park if you were driving? any ideas? as i seldom drive into the city on sat evenings.

As a start here is whereis map for Circular Quay - clicke the Secure P icon on the bottom toolbar for some carparks. There is also the Opera House Car Park. Not sure about street parking.
http://www.whereis.com/nsw/sydney/circu ... D833E61EE9
D80, 50mm F/1.8, 18-70mm DX, Sigma 10-20mm
whitey

Postby dawesy on Wed May 14, 2008 3:47 pm

I'd like to jump on board a jon come lately (I hate jonny...). I will probably be at work beforehand in Pyrmont so providing all goes to plan, should be there right on time!
dawesy

Postby warrenism on Wed May 14, 2008 4:07 pm

Howdy do di,
I too am interested in coming along. Having shot mostly solo, i would definitely like to see what tips and
techniques others have up there sleeves in capturing night landscape shots. As forum newbie would be
a good opportunity to meet like minded veterans.
Any objections?
Doing nothing is very hard to do... you never know when you're finished.
Leslie Nielsen.
warrenism

Postby gstark on Wed May 14, 2008 4:20 pm

warrenism wrote:Any objections?

Now that you've expressed interested, just try and weasel your way out of attending. :)

Seriously, we'd be thrilled to meet with you.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Steffen on Wed May 14, 2008 4:51 pm

Just a few remarks/questions:

Is the walk around Farm Cove (from Opera House to Mrs Mac's Chair) open again? They had some construction going on a couple of months ago.

If so, I might leave the car at the SOH car park, or at Alfred Street (which should have flat fee on a Sat night), and walk to the meeting point.

Where are we going from there? The walk around Farm Cove is most likely closed after sunset, and we'd have to trek along the street. Walking back from wherever we are at the end of the meet to Mrs Mac's Chair could be a bit daunting maybe? Should we perhaps meet and park someplace more central, like around Circular Queue? Sunset is at 5pm, we could make our way from there to the lookout within half an hour I guess. If we were to have some dinner afterwards it would be nice to have the cars a bit more close by.

Call me chicken, but I know I won't be parking my car along the street to Mrs Mac's Chair. There are break-ins on that stretch almost every night...

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby gstark on Wed May 14, 2008 5:18 pm

Steffen,

Steffen wrote:If so, I might leave the car at the SOH car park, or at Alfred Street (which should have flat fee on a Sat night), and walk to the meeting point.

Flat fee on Alfred St?

Alfred St is closed to public on-street parking these days. SOH carpark will work, or perhaps somewhere on or between Bridge and/or Hunter might work for on street metered parking. Expect $2.20 an hour I think; not sure about time limitations, which might change at the 18th hour.

Where are we going from there? The walk around Farm Cove is most likely closed after sunset,

Yep. Please check this post.

I think that getting from the Quay at 4:30 to Mrs Mac's, in time for sunset, would be ambitious. For the Quay, I'd be suggesting a 4pm start for the walk through the Bot; meet there prior to 4 for those of a like mind to you.

If we were to have some dinner afterwards it would be nice to have the cars a bit more close by.

Yep; dinner location hasn't been decided, but I'm thinking that a decent pub shouldn't be too difficult to locate.

Call me chicken, [/quiote]

Is the duck off again? :)

Are there ducks in the Bot?

but I know I won't be parking my car along the street to Mrs Mac's Chair. There are break-ins on that stretch almost every night...

Likewise George St, Pitt St, Lower Kent St ... Parking lots are always fair game.

And my car's been broken into outside my home. Sadly, this is something we have to deal with.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Steffen on Wed May 14, 2008 5:49 pm

gstark wrote:Flat fee on Alfred St?

Sorry, I meant Albert St. There's a hotel at the corner with a public underground carpark.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&s ... 03302&z=19
(lot 93)

Yep. Please check this post.

Thanks, how could I have missed that?

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby whitey on Wed May 14, 2008 11:13 pm

gstark wrote:Ok ...

So that we're all on the same page for this:

This Saturday, May 17, about 4:30pm.

Mrs MacQuarie's Chair, starting from around 4:30 pm so that we can hopefully catch the sunset behind the sailboat and coathanger. From there, wandering around through Macquarie St, into the city, and then down to Darling Harbour. Bring your tripods.

Do I have that correct?

Parking: there should be some on-street metered parking at Mrs Mac's Chair. Bring coinage for the meters. There's flat daily rate weekend parking in a couple of parking stations on Sussex St adjacent to Darling Harbour.

gary, you are spot on. I will update the top post.
whitey

Postby biggerry on Wed May 14, 2008 11:32 pm

I only found dslrusers.com this week (where has it been all my life :? ) and would love to come along on Saturday evening - I hope there are no objections to more people turning up?!

gerry

P.S be gentle - i'm new here :wink:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Justin on Thu May 15, 2008 2:38 pm

Drats! I have to pull out, we have a family thing up in the mountains and we are staying over Saturday night.... ah well
D3 | 18-200VR | 50:1.4 | 28:2.8 | 35-70 2.8 | 12-24 f4
picasaweb.google.com/JustinPhotoGallery
"We don't know and we don't care"
Justin

Postby dviv on Thu May 15, 2008 2:39 pm

Is the plan to walk to Darling Harbour from Lady Macquarie's chair or drive?
7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

Postby gstark on Thu May 15, 2008 3:25 pm

dviv wrote:Is the plan to walk to Darling Harbour from Lady Macquarie's chair or drive?

Yes.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dviv on Thu May 15, 2008 3:37 pm

gstark wrote:
dviv wrote:Is the plan to walk to Darling Harbour from Lady Macquarie's chair or drive?

Yes.

:)

7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

Postby stubbsy on Thu May 15, 2008 8:13 pm

It looks like being quite a cold night too - so make sure you're nice and rugged up.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby whitey on Thu May 15, 2008 8:22 pm

stubbsy wrote:It looks like being quite a cold night too - so make sure you're nice and rugged up.

yeah, the BOM is predicting a late shower or two as well.
whitey

Postby Yi-P on Thu May 15, 2008 8:36 pm

Is dinner planned or are we supposed to fill our stomach before arriving?

Anyone arriving to the city/harbour early? I might be in the city around lunch time.
Yi-P

Postby gstark on Fri May 16, 2008 9:04 am

Yi-P wrote:Is dinner planned or are we supposed to fill our stomach before arriving?

Anyone arriving to the city/harbour early? I might be in the city around lunch time.

Eating somewhere-ish afterwards, I suspect, but if weather starts to play a hand, who knows what might happen.

I'd suggest late-lunching.

What we need is somewhere to grab a sourdough bowl of chowder. But that somewhere shouldn't be a Doyle's.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri May 16, 2008 9:24 am

The Lord Nelson serves a great Ploughman's platter and an even better beer(s).
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby robert on Fri May 16, 2008 12:37 pm

Any thoughts on best way back from Darling Harbour to the car if parked at/near mrs macs? A straight walk would take maybe 25 mins or more, and after a few hours of wandering then a few drinks might be long walk!

Robert
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby dviv on Fri May 16, 2008 12:50 pm

robert wrote:Any thoughts on best way back from Darling Harbour to the car if parked at/near mrs macs? A straight walk would take maybe 25 mins or more, and after a few hours of wandering then a few drinks might be long walk!

Maybe park at Darling Harbour and walk to Mrs Macs then back?
dviv

Postby dviv on Fri May 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Yi-P wrote:Is dinner planned or are we supposed to fill our stomach before arriving?

I should be in between 2:30 and 3 - what were you thinking?
dviv

Postby Shoot on Sat May 17, 2008 1:26 am

Hey Guys :)

I had this date booked in for something else previously, but I've been 'relieved' of my duty so to speak. I'd love to put my name down for this if possible :)
If you’re alone with your friend in the woods and a tiger’s chasing you, you don’t have to be faster than the tiger, you have to be faster than your friend.
Shoot

Postby Tiberius on Sat May 17, 2008 2:01 am

I'm planning on heading in early also. If anyone wants to meet up ealier, drop me a PM with your mobile number and we'll get together earlier. :)
Tiberius

Postby gstark on Sat May 17, 2008 7:31 am

robert wrote:Any thoughts on best way back from Darling Harbour to the car if parked at/near mrs macs? A straight walk would take maybe 25 mins or more, and after a few hours of wandering then a few drinks might be long walk!

Exactly.

My current line of thinking is to either leave the car in Darling Harbour, and then cab it around to Mrs Mac's, or just drive from point A to point B, as noted in Dave's (Dviv's) post. For street parking, that would be problematic, but there's a couple of carparks in the area that should be workable and inexpensive. (Yes, I'm getting old, and according to some establishments in the US, I am officially a senior!)

Dinner ... As we're going to be in the Darling Harbour/Chinatown precinct, I'm thinking in terms of upstairs at Market City. Inexpensive, lots of room for us, and lots of choice.

Being a Saturday night, Darling Harbour's eateries will be both crowded, and expensive.

The Lord Nelson will be problematic unless we stay at the northern end of town, but one would need to park in that vicinity in the first instance, but that presents another issue: most on-street parking there would be for a four hour metered maximum period. That could well apply at Mrs Mac's too, but if you're there with your vehicle, you can at least manage the early part of the evening, and time-shift the starting point of that four hour period. Moving one's vehicle into the Rocks after about 6 on a Saturday night? Do you feel lucky, punk?

shoot wrote:I had this date booked in for something else previously, but I've been 'relieved' of my duty so to speak

Rob,

It'll be great to catch up with you.

This is looking like a great evening, with a massive turnout. I've not checked numbers, but I'm guessing >20, which is awesome.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby warrenism on Sat May 17, 2008 10:51 am

Unfortunately, i won't be able to share dinner with you guys as i had other plans booked ahead.
However, for those that are getting in earlier, don't forget about the World Photo Press down at the
state library, which isn't too far of a walk from Ms Mac chair.
See you there (im the guy with the bright yellow green shoes)
Doing nothing is very hard to do... you never know when you're finished.
Leslie Nielsen.
warrenism

Postby gstark on Sat May 17, 2008 10:54 am

biggerry wrote:I only found dslrusers.com this week (where has it been all my life :? ) and would love to come along on Saturday evening - I hope there are no objections to more people turning up?!

gerry

P.S be gentle - i'm new here :wink:

My apologies for missing you. Welcome, and yes, we look forward to seeing you this evening.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Sat May 17, 2008 10:58 am

gstark wrote:This is looking like a great evening, with a massive turnout. I've not checked numbers, but I'm guessing >20, which is awesome.

Ok ... here's the list as I see it.

1. Justin
2. Phoenix
3. Colin12 (tentative)
4. deadgoose (George)
5. gstark (Gary)
6. Geoff
7. Stubbsy
8. Matt. K
9. Reschsmooth
10. Nnnnsic
11. Yi-P
12. Steffen
13. Sevencolours
14. Surenj
15. Tiberius
16. Warrenism
17. Shoot
18. Robert
19. dviv
20. Biggerry
21. dervish
22. Dawesy

Please let me know if I have any of this wrong.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Geoff on Sat May 17, 2008 12:19 pm

Patrick and I will be driving in, parking at Mrs Macs chair and then driving over to DH (considering we will have camera gear, tripods etc I'm not that keen on a lengthy walk with all that stuff!). We will have room for a few more if anyone wants a lift.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Yi-P on Sat May 17, 2008 2:09 pm

Oh gee, we are having a big gathering today. And many are new members here to be joining the big family :D

Looking forward to meet up with the new members :D
Yi-P

Postby Tiberius on Sat May 17, 2008 11:03 pm

Sorry I didn't make it guys. I have a good excuse. :P

Went out to Manly earlier, planning on heading back over to mrs Mac's Chair afterwards, but I met up with a lovely young lady in Manly and was faced with a choice to leave her and meet up with you, or spend some more time with her.

And well, it's hard to beat time with a lovely young lady...
Tiberius

Postby Geoff on Sat May 17, 2008 11:23 pm

Good choice Tiberius! :)
We had fun, but your instinct was probably best...how'd it go?
Geoff
Geoff

Postby sheepie on Sat May 17, 2008 11:35 pm

Geoff wrote:Good choice Tiberius! :)
We had fun, but your instinct was probably best...how'd it go?

Clearly, Geoff, it didn't go as well as it could have! He's back posting on here and it's only just after 10! ;) ;) ;)

I, too, was unable to make this one - will be looking forward to hearing some stories and seeing some pics - looks like a great turnout :)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Tiberius on Sun May 18, 2008 11:04 am

it went pretty good. She was taking photos for a TAFE assignment, but she was just starting out. I gave her some pointers and we went for a walk and got some great photos.

And yes, I was back around 10, but she had a party with her friends to go to. I did get her email though, so we'll be keeping in touch. BTW, what time did you guys get to Darling Harbour? I headed over there afterwards, but I couldn't find you guys....
Tiberius

Postby Geoff on Sun May 18, 2008 11:10 am

Tiberius wrote:it went pretty good. She was taking photos for a TAFE assignment, but she was just starting out. I gave her some pointers and we went for a walk and got some great photos.

And yes, I was back around 10, but she had a party with her friends to go to. I did get her email though, so we'll be keeping in touch. BTW, what time did you guys get to Darling Harbour? I headed over there afterwards, but I couldn't find you guys....

Good stuff Tiberius! :)

Darling Harbour? We didn't get there at all. :) It ended at City Extra at Circular Quay.
Geoff
Geoff

Postby Tiberius on Sun May 18, 2008 2:07 pm

There's the problem! No wonder I couldn't find you!

And I got off the ferry at Circular Quay! ARGH! I probably walked right past you!

Anyway, here's some of the pics I took during my day out...

Harley Rider
Opera-House-from-the-Harbour-85955999" class="postlink">Opera House from the Harbour
Rocky Shore
Tiberius

Postby stubbsy on Sun May 18, 2008 2:12 pm

It was great to catch up with both new and old faces yesterday. Thanks George for organising the get together it was great fun and I hope I have some decent pics to share in the next day or so.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby dawesy on Sun May 18, 2008 5:30 pm

Sorry I didn't make it to this one as well, I hope my message made it through!

I am still trying to find myself a place to live and ended up having to deal with house hunting duties on the upper North Shore right up until 5:30 and after that it was just all too hard! Sounds like it was a good night though.
dawesy

Postby surenj on Sun May 18, 2008 10:09 pm

Missed it as well due to urgent work committments. It's obvious by the results posted that it was a fun session. Hope to join you guys sometime in the future.
surenj

Previous

Return to Sydney