Rangefinder questions

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Rangefinder questions

Postby Underload on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:11 pm

I picked up a cheap rangefinder the other day, and it arrived today. It's a Canon (Canonet?) QL 19. I haven't loaded it with film yet, but set the film speed, auto aperture, and the shutter speed.

In just mucking around with it so far, it seems that sometimes the shutter release button won't push down and allow the shutter to open/close. I've got no idea why, and am yet to find a manual that relates to this specific model.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
D200 + stuff
Underload

Re: Rangefinder questions

Postby Antsl on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:25 pm

The Canon QL is one of the earliest cameras to have a built in light meter with an auto setting. The selenium cell (a device about the front of the lens that converts light into electricity) powers the needle type meter.... if there is no light about to power the meter than this needle will not move from its home position and while there it engages a small interlock that prevents the camera from taking a picture. It is a simple mechanism that is designed to ensure you do not get too many dud photos. You can override it by setting the camera to an aperture setting..... you would do this if you were using a flash with the camera.

I have repaired a few of these cameras in my time and I am telling you this information based on old memories ... I hope they help!
Antsl

Postby Underload on Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:48 pm

Antsl, that info is really interesting - thanks! I've just pointed the camera towards the lamp next to me, which casts a heap of light, but there's still no improvement with the shutter release.

I might pick up a new battery for it tomorrow, and see if that makes a difference.
D200 + stuff
Underload

Postby Ivanerrol on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:02 pm

Go here and get the camera manual.
to download follow the login instructions

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/manuals/pages/canonetql17.html

Found via Karen Nakamura's site.
Ivanerrol

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging