This is your government!!!

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

This is your government!!!

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:22 pm

World Youth Day Amendment Regulation 2008 wrote:
7 Control of conduct within World Youth Day declared areas
(1) An authorised person may direct a person within a World Youth Day declared area to cease engaging in conduct that:
(a) is a risk to the safety of the person or others, or
(b) causes annoyance or inconvenience to participants in a World Youth Day event, or(c) obstructs a World Youth Day event.
(2) A person must not, without reasonable excuse, fail to comply with a direction given to the person under subclause (1).
Maximum penalty: 50 penalty units.
(3) A person is not guilty of an offence under this clause unless it is established that the authorised person warned the person that a failure to comply with the direction is an offence.
(4) In this clause, authorised person means:
(a) a police officer, or
(b) a member of an SES unit (within the meaning of the State Emergency Service Act 1989) or a member of the NSW
Rural Fire Service, but only if the member is authorised by the Authority in writing for the purposes of this clause.

Do we really deserve this government? Can Eric Roozendaal be charged for the inconvenience any WYD "pilgrim" suffers if they attempt to use public transport in Sydney?
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Re: This is your government!!!

Postby Greg B on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:36 pm

I feel your pain Patrick, but I am not quite sure what is annoying you the most. Is it
that people will be restricted from expressing contrary views about and to WYD and participants,
or that the trains are crap, or a combination of the two? :D
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Glen on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:43 pm

I was pretty stunned about that too Patrick. It is not fair to ask Police to adjudicate on offence on this one as WYD participants may have different sensibilities to the general public. Would they be offended by a group of muslim women walking past? With their well publicised lack of tolerance and acceptance of the gay community should they have chosen venues so close to Oxford St. Will a gay man be arrested for ... being gay? I would imagine that offends them.

Not a fan of political discussion on forums, but it seems ministers are fair game at the moment, the same way ministers think young workers in bars are fair game when the ministers are drunk. It seems you have to be prosecuted by the police to get fired from our present state and federal government , abusing people and intimidating witnesses doesn't count. Our present government doesn't worry about "conduct unbecoming a minister"

Here is a link to the story: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/06/ ... 46009.html
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:44 pm

Greg B wrote:I feel your pain Patrick, but I am not quite sure what is annoying you the most. Is it
that people will be restricted from expressing contrary views about and to WYD and participants,
or that the trains are crap, or a combination of the two? :D

Yes, and more. The whole WYD fiasco is painful enough, taking into account our Government's attempts at hiding the true cost to us, the non-Catholic, taxpaying population. Fortunately, I don't rely on trains, but then again, no-one in Sydney does (discuss).

Jokes and tears aside, think about a situation where (and this is why I posted this here to start with) you are taking photos in a declared area of a WYD cult member, and they are annoyed or inconvenienced. All of a sudden, what was a legal activity could now leave you with a criminal record (as per sub-reg 3, which appears to be ambiguous at best).

And I didn't even vote for this government!!!
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:46 pm

Glen wrote:"conduct unbecoming a minister"

Glen, that's now a matter of definition, and that definition is subject to frequent change!

I hear Melbourne is a nice place to live (well, at least it has the MCG).
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:47 pm

This regulation (it's not an act, but just a new reg) gives power of arrest to people like the SES. They're all good people, but ....

And if you happen to be wearing a t-shirt that gives offense to someone, you may be liable to arrest.

What a load of utter crap.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:55 pm

gstark wrote:This regulation (it's not an act, but just a new reg) gives power of arrest to people like the SES. They're all good people, but ....

And if you happen to be wearing a t-shirt that gives offense to someone, you may be liable to arrest.

What a load of utter crap.

Regs generally have more power than acts, and are often the ones to watch out for.

Fortunately, these regs don't use the words "offend" or "offensive", however, the fact that someone may be annoyed by my behaviour which can lead to my arrest is simply dangerous.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Glen on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:10 pm

Greg, you can be well pleased with your state governments handling of WYD. We pay between $100m to $130m for WYD then on TV they show the Victorian company providing all the food! We didn't even link the assistance.

Of course we may make some back, I am sure those WYD types will almost spend as much as the Mardi Gras guys on alcohol, dinners, drugs, etc. Just as a comparison, I don't think we offered $100m to the Mardi Gras and their participants do spend like drunken sailors.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Chaase on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:09 pm

It also prevents people handing out free condoms! I found that mildly amusing. It could have been another great Chasers stunt.

Also any protest no matter how peaceful raising sexual abuse buy clergy etc.

Welcome to Beijing!
Cheers, Bruce
Canon Eos 5D MKII, 16-35mm f2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f1.4 USM.
Edit photos OK.
http://bruceybaby66.smugmug.com/
Chaase

Postby Greg B on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:49 pm

Glen wrote:Greg, you can be well pleased with your state governments handling of WYD. We pay between $100m to $130m for WYD then on TV they show the Victorian company providing all the food! We didn't even link the assistance.

Of course we may make some back, I am sure those WYD types will almost spend as much as the Mardi Gras guys on alcohol, dinners, drugs, etc. Just as a comparison, I don't think we offered $100m to the Mardi Gras and their participants do spend like drunken sailors.

Glen, I am not particularly pleased with our State Government's handling of anything much at the moment, although I must declare that I voted for them

Our (major) folly is the Grand Prix, and while I know we have lots a racing enthusiasts in the forum, the GP (in my view) does not make a positive contribution
to the state. Too much public money is spent on it with not enough benefit.

As for the WYD, aside from being a proud and practising atheist, I have some very strong concerns with certain policies of the Catholic Church, particularly those
concerning birth control and condom use as a prophylactic measure, and even more particularly when those policies are inflicted on the poor and under educated
for who they do the most serious damage. The Government's reg would seem to preclude making a protest about those disgraceful policies, and that does not seem
to be consistent with a free society.

I reckon I, and my views, could annoy or offend many many WYD participants, and it troubles me that that would be all it would take for me to be in breach.

Of course, it is all academic. I wouldn't go anywhere near the whole thing.
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby Glen on Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:32 pm

Greg, we could have a great competition between our state governments to see who is the worst, though in all honesty I think this is one time NSW has Vic covered. We have a desalination plant coming we don't need, but we are all paying higher water rates from today, I know people who pay $80-$100 a week in road tolls even though our government raises more in taxes than other states, the ferries are running into anything that moves, the trains are late, the brakes aren't working on the bendy buses. That is before we start on the electricity rise we got today, prior to the proposed privatisation. So water, electricity and getting to work is screwed in NSW, that is before we start on the "bananas in Iguanas" affair. In fact I am trying to think of one thing the NSW government has been applauded for recently.
Thank You
Glen

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:47 pm

I would applaud our State Goverment loudly, given the chance. But let me elaborate.

A gift to very standing member (and that’s what they are) of a clap actuated bedside lamp. But instead of a normal globe, these units would have petrol in the globe - one clap, and woomffff. The only applause to be heard after that would be from the masses.

I will now wait patiently for ASIO’s knock on the door :shock:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:27 pm

Glen wrote: In fact I am trying to think of one thing the NSW government has been applauded for recently.

Glen, there's so much that they've gotten right.

Look at the M5, congested from day 1, and designed to be out of date 10 years before construction began.

Look at the new Epping train line, aready running late, and with a gradient coming back up from under the Lane Cove River such that the trains originally expected to run on the line cannot climb it.

And don't overlook the fact that while they're spending $130 million on WYD, a very similar amount, needed to widen the Spit Bridge, was discounted as not being good value.

As if WYD is??

And everyone is surprised that the four and five star hotels have not been getting the high level of bookings that they were anticipating. Like, duh!

That seems to me to be a given: they're descibring the participants as "pilgrims" and many are being billeted out. And it's "World Youth Day" so one might be on safe ground presuming that a great many of the pilgrims will be youth. Sans funds. Barely above broke, even. So who's the brilliant mind expecting young people, with not that much in the way of the readies, to be spending up big in hotels, restaurants, aand the like?

As I said ... Duh!

Now, with these new regulations ... given that I'm going to be affected by the event, I suspect that makes me a participant, whether I like it or not. So, if I'm a participant, and I'm annoyed by those who might be marching, can I not have them arrested?
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:41 pm

Chris, there would be many who favour your gift :)

Gary I forgot you are in the affected area. I can see some interesting discussions in the days ahead. Have you got your little red and yellow backpack with discount McDonalds coupons in it?

Billeting, good term. I know some Central Coast and Newcastle catholic teachers were heavily encouraged (read almost ordered) to billet pilgrims and ferry them down to proceedings!
Thank You
Glen

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:06 pm

My annoyance reaches to both this corrupt government, and their pandering to a for-profit organisation, as opposed to their electorates. :evil:

I would seriously like to know one thing that this government has done well, or one promise that they have kept.
Last edited by Reschsmooth on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Oneputt on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:38 pm

I have to admit that threads of a political nature have no place on a photographic forum IMHO. If they did I could have spent the last ten years whinging :wink:
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby Killakoala on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:07 pm

Glen wrote:........<snip>... do spend like drunken sailors.

HEY!!!! :x I make homebrew :) :) :)

If any of the WYD participants get in my way I will arrest them :) Oh, I can't, I'm not in the Police, SES or the Rural Fire Brigade.....(WTF)
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby surenj on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:41 pm

I can't imagine how congested it's going to be with 500,000 extra people running around..
surenj

Postby Raskill on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:52 pm

Woo Hoo!!!!!

More people who rights I can trample on. I love this government!!!! :cheers:

:wink:

Imagine how fat the lions at Taronga are going to be with all these catholics to eat!
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby chrisk on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:16 pm

morris' stupidity knows no bounds and should NOT be underestimated. this is a freakish govt. truly.

what i found hilarious was some guy on the radio today saying he was gonna chuck a browneye at the pope cos indecent exposure is a fine of only $1k but under the new laws, wearing a Tshirt that says "f*ck the pope" yields a fine of $5k. one of the funniest radio moments i heard in quite a while.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby gstark on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:22 pm

Glen wrote:Gary I forgot you are in the affected area. I can see some interesting discussions in the days ahead.

I'm about to start some discussions about the usage of the Cross City Funnel. :)

Given that George, Macquarie, and Goulburn Streets in the City, and others, like Anzac Parade and Moore Park Road are going to be closed for the duration, how the hell are people to travel between the eastern and western sides of the city? With many roads in the east being closed, evan a souther route, heading through Kingsford, is unlikely, and thus the only practical routing will be through the Funnel. I think all tolls through the Funnel should be suspended while these other road closures are in place.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:23 pm

surenj wrote:I can't imagine how congested it's going to be with 500,000 extra people running around..

That number's been bandied about, but it's totally unrealistic. 140,000 will be about it.

It's still a shitload of pilgrims, pilgrim.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:32 pm

That is a good point about the Cross City Funnel (accurate name), seeing they are removing half the cash booths from the bridge this Sunday, I hope all the pilgrims get issued a papal etag
Thank You
Glen

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:41 pm

Glen wrote:That is a good point about the Cross City Funnel (accurate name), seeing they are removing half the cash booths from the bridge this Sunday, I hope all the pilgrims get issued a papal etag

Aw shite - that means God will be blessing the etag and will give the government a reason to increase fees :mrgreen:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby bittenyakka on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:27 pm

You lot make me really glad to live in Adelaide and we also, have a next to useless government.
bittenyakka

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:55 pm

So I have no right to protest? Just like that? No Pope on a Rope soap? Christ! The NSW government make Mugabe look like Abe Lincoln! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby ATJ on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:27 pm

Perhaps the fines for "offending" are only there to make up the shortfall in income that some stupid bureaucrat thought they would be getting.
ATJ

Postby who on Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:41 am

Why would the pope need an etag..... the scuttlebutt is he will be commuting by chopper from the Dural region :lol:

And as for worst state government - Tassie can give you a run - former minister charged with criminal conspiracy (case truied twice, no conviction)...... the pulp mill saga, etc....
Old D200+extras
who

Postby Shoot on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:11 am

IMO its just another step towards stripping the community of all civil liberties, just like 911 was used as an excuse to aid in 2 invasions to Countries that they had no proof of any wrong doing neither before or after the killing of countless lives. Then legislation to enable Homeland Security to arrest anyone at any time for an indefinite amount of time, with no rights to legal council under the Anti Terrorism Act.. God Bless the American Government.

Oh, and lets not mention Hitler doing the exact same thing in history by burning the Reichstag and then claiming that it was done by a 'Terrorist Group' and then taking away the German populations right to civil liberties in order to <s>protect</s> dominate them.

My apologies if this is off topic.

-Rob.
If you’re alone with your friend in the woods and a tiger’s chasing you, you don’t have to be faster than the tiger, you have to be faster than your friend.
Shoot

Postby Raskill on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:40 pm

****** OT WARNING ******

I'm no conspiracy theorist, but these videos and information make interesting viewing:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=3CB1CD960E75FF17

****** OT WARNING ENDS *******

:)
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

The truth is never a conspiracy Raskill 8)
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby digitor on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:15 pm

who wrote:Why would the pope need an etag.....

I would think he would just walk across :shock:

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby sevencolours on Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:11 pm

There is something reassuring about this thread.
What these new regulations have given us, is a wonderful target for ridicule and farce. Now that the charges against the Chaser group have been dropped they are free to go. (and delicious irony, they are funded by government)

So yes, I’m looking forward to t-shirts and stunts. Anything to poke ridicule at attempts to restrict freedom.

Should this become the focus of the next challenge.

Philip
sevencolours

Postby Shoot on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:55 pm

Anything to poke ridicule at attempts to restrict freedom

The ironic thing is that ( if you believe it ) history shows that whilst people are opposed to having their freedom taken away, Governments manufacture situations and events that force them to choose between the complete domination of of government over its citizens or putting up with so called 'Terrorism'. However I don't think that a government with total control suggests a 'safer' community to that of a democracy where free will is still respected.
If you’re alone with your friend in the woods and a tiger’s chasing you, you don’t have to be faster than the tiger, you have to be faster than your friend.
Shoot

Postby Glen on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:04 pm

Thank You
Glen

Return to Sydney