Libraries

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Libraries

Postby mozzie on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:25 pm

ok might seem like a very random question but does any one happen to know of a nice library that i can take photos in. I am interested in actually taking photos of books not so much the architecture.... so looking for a library with a good collection of books but more importantly a photogenic collection of books.

I go to USYD and we have a fairly decent library (arguably one of the biggest arnd) but it awfully ugly....the state library doesnt really cut it either.... =(

so if anyone has any suggestions it would be much loved!!!!!
mozzie

Re: Libraries

Postby phillipb on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:44 pm

Not so much a library but a book shop with a lot of character is located just before Berrima if that's any help.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Mj on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:46 pm

Doubt you will find any library that could be considered 'attractive' of itself... but in terms of taking shots of books, either find a library whose encyclopedias etc are separate and all in good order. Another thought is to look for law courts and companies etc that might hold a private collection (access possibly being an issue of course). Bookshops are another good source, but again you'd need to secure permisssion.

You've not really given much for people to go on here... what sort of image are you trying to capture?

Michael
Photography is not a crime, but perhaps my abuse of artistic license is?
Mj

Postby mozzie on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:10 pm

phillipb wrote:Not so much a library but a book shop with a lot of character is located just before Berrima if that's any help.

BOOKSHOPS!!!! - why didnt i think of that - that would work brilliantly!!! (yes it totally never came to my mind) - there is actually a great second hand one at newtwon even that i might b ablet to use (although they have next to no lighting which might b a tad annoying)

and in terms of what kinds of shots - currently a bit obscrure about that. Trying to work of the concept of the power of books - something along the lines of books as the gateway to knowledge but also to enlightenment - i want to capture or rather perhaps parallel the intellectual space that books have the power to create - and also i guess the solace and comfort. i have never been particularly good at articulating the images in my head though although something I have been trying to do better. Basically i want light - strands of light wud b better space - books on a shelf - also would like to do a somethign like alice in the wonderland shot too if i get lucky

This is just a project that i am planning on taking up I had several much more ambitious ones but i've been advised and i think rather appropriately to start small...so I am plannin on starting on something that should be do-able
mozzie

Postby who on Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:33 pm

although they have next to no lighting which might b a tad annoying)

I think a lack of lighting and a dark mood will help you more. Lots of lighting is why you don't think USYD etc are right probably.

You could maybe see if the store gets either early morning or late afternoon sun and try a shoot then if they are willing?

I have seen a shot by a member here, posted on a different forum (4wd) that used a UWA zoom that was effective.
Old D200+extras
who

Return to Sydney