my new toy..

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

my new toy..

Postby brentsky on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:56 pm

A few weeks ago I delved in to world of lomo and bought myself one of these:

Its exactly that - white all over!

SInce then i've literally been addicted to it, and its not left my hand. I have found the fisheye so fun and versatile, and its so light and compact I keep it in my pocket, or throw it in my bag when I head out during the day or at night, snapping away..

The only drawback is the cost of film and the processing of it :( However being of the digital generation, I find exciting the wait to get the developed photos back - as opposed to the instantaneous capability of my digital cameras. I'm even surprised to see what Ive shot and forgotten about!

Here are a few pics:

Thanks for looking

Brentsky
brentsky

Re: my new toy..

Postby Glen on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:34 am

Nice work Brentsky, good way into a fisheye
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby aim54x on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:34 am

I know what you mean about the cost of film and processing, if you have the room then consider going black and white with a bulk loader and do it all in house. There are a few of us on the forum that can help you pick up the ropes.

Great work on the fisheye - I want one, but I am stuck for choice (10.5mm is no good on FX without hacking off the lens hood, and the 16mm is not fishy on DX - else I would have bought the Zenitar already!!)
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby brentsky on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:26 pm

aim54x wrote:I know what you mean about the cost of film and processing, if you have the room then consider going black and white with a bulk loader and do it all in house. There are a few of us on the forum that can help you pick up the ropes.

Great work on the fisheye - I want one, but I am stuck for choice (10.5mm is no good on FX without hacking off the lens hood, and the 16mm is not fishy on DX - else I would have bought the Zenitar already!!)

Im actually contemplating it - my old man has the necessary gear at home. Pity is i live almost an hour away, and Im really enjoying shooting in colour at the moment.

Thanks for the comment, im really enjoying the fisheye. Ive actually just purchased a holga as well, which im also enjoying and waiting to get back my first few rolls of 35mm and 120.

Shame about the 10.5mm nikkor for FX, but theres always DX... shame about the price too! The Zenitar would be awesome if it had autofocus...
brentsky

Postby aim54x on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:57 pm

brentsky wrote:Shame about the 10.5mm nikkor for FX, but theres always DX... shame about the price too! The Zenitar would be awesome if it had autofocus...

AF? meh who needs AF on a fisheye lens!!! :up:
Cameron
aim54x

Postby brentsky on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:39 pm

aim54x wrote:
brentsky wrote:Shame about the 10.5mm nikkor for FX, but theres always DX... shame about the price too! The Zenitar would be awesome if it had autofocus...

go for the zenitar!!! :wink:
brentsky

Postby ATJ on Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:11 pm

Developing and printing colour is not really harder than black and white. Sure the developing takes a little longer but it's straightforward. Printing is a little trickier as you need to get the colours right, but with a good enlarger with dial in filters it is easy once you get the filters right (and you use the same film type).
ATJ

Postby aim54x on Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:48 pm

brentsky wrote:
aim54x wrote:

go for the zenitar!!! :wink:

A friend has one (he only shoots film and is a Canon user) so I examined this lens on Mozzie's EOS 400D and the shots just weren't fishy enough, they only looked a little wider than what I get on my Tamron 17-50 at 17mm so I have not bought one yet.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby gstark on Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:10 am

ATJ wrote:Developing and printing colour is not really harder than black and white. Sure the developing takes a little longer but it's straightforward. Printing is a little trickier as you need to get the colours right, but with a good enlarger with dial in filters it is easy once you get the filters right (and you use the same film type).

Andrew is correct, although he neglected to mention that temperature control is a little more critical, and there's a few more steps involved. Nothing that cannot be cured with the help of a large storage bucket to use as a water jacket.

And E6 is a real ball, if you want to go down that path! :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:58 am

gstark wrote:And E6 is a real ball, if you want to go down that path! :)

I used to do E6. It has a bunch of extra steps compared to C41 but after the first 3 or 4 steps it can be done in normal light. The whole process takes around 45 minutes, if I remember correctly. I could get home from a dive with my Nikonos III and around one hour later I'd be able to view my images (still wet hanging to dry, but at least I'd be able to see them). That's not a whole lot different to now with digital.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:28 am

ATJ wrote:
gstark wrote:And E6 is a real ball, if you want to go down that path! :)

I used to do E6. It has a bunch of extra steps compared to C41 but after the first 3 or 4 steps it can be done in normal light.

Actually, there's a couple of E6 kits that let you do the whole lot in normal light.

I seem to recall that we're talking 5 steps for C41, and 7 steps for E6.

The whole process takes around 45 minutes, if I remember correctly. I could get home from a dive with my Nikonos III and around one hour later I'd be able to view my images (still wet hanging to dry, but at least I'd be able to see them). That's not a whole lot different to now with digital.

That all sounds pretty close to my recollection.

Except for the bit about diving.

And the Nikonos.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Grev on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:50 pm

These lomo things are selling everywhere now, especially in those fashion stores that try to be hip (or are :P depending on who you are), namely (in Brisbane) Elizabeth arcade and the valley.
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging