Nikon FE Trip REPORT!

Many of our members still have film cameras. And some even use them! This is for film junkies

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Re: Nikon FE Trip REPORT!

Postby Geoff on Fri May 08, 2009 2:04 pm

Come on Yi-p!?
Seriously mate, you've had the camera for too long now.
Does anyone have Yi-p's mobile number?
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby wendellt on Sat May 09, 2009 10:46 am

Hi
i have the camera now
when do i have to send it back?
and address?
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
Creative Rep - T.I.D. FashionID, DBP Productions & The Nest Agency
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby Geoff on Sat May 09, 2009 11:29 am

Hoooray!
Send it to Patrick, whom I'm sure will PM you his address imminently.
Geoff
Geoff

Postby gstark on Sat May 09, 2009 1:07 pm

Take one photo first.

Just one. :)

And please, post (into this thread) the frame number for the one image that you make.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Sat May 09, 2009 1:25 pm

I have PM'ed my address to Wendell.

This has moved from an exercise to an ordeal. Perhaps my criteria for being part of this was unnecessary in the end? I did have higher expectations.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Yi-P on Sun May 10, 2009 1:05 pm

I'm sorry guys, havent been on for a while. I have passed on the camera to Wendell on Tuesday.
Yi-P

Postby Geoff on Sun May 10, 2009 1:47 pm

What you're saying Yi-p is that you had the camera for six days!?! :shock:
Geoff
Geoff

Postby biggerry on Mon May 11, 2009 9:32 am

This has moved from an exercise to an ordeal.

Whilst it has been a rocky journey, I and others are really antipicating the results, I hope this makes it worthwhile. :up: :up:

I did have higher expectations

Realistically, trying to organise somethign like this and get it to run absolutely smoothly is like trying to get the planets to align :roll:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon May 11, 2009 10:01 am

Whilst it has been a rocky journey, I and others are really antipicating the results, I hope this makes it worthwhile.

:agree:
Realistically, trying to organise somethign like this and get it to run absolutely smoothly is like trying to get the planets to align

But all you have to do is wait for the planets to line up.

Hold on. That's what we've been doing with the Camera :cough:
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby aim54x on Mon May 11, 2009 10:30 am

Mr Darcy wrote:Hold on. That's what we've been doing with the Camera :cough:

HAHHAHAHa sure seem so, I hope the photos will make all the frustration of doing this whole exercise worth it.

It was a great idea Pat, and I am very glad to have been a part of it (although I think my photo was pretty poor).
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue May 19, 2009 2:53 pm

Just when we thought...

I provided my address to Wendell weekend before last, and he said he was to mail it to me via registered post a week ago today. Obviously, I haven't received the camera yet. I have sent a reminder pm to Wendell.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby wendellt on Tue May 19, 2009 2:58 pm

hi patrick

so sorry i'm going to send it tomorrow
for sure i just had a little hickup
timing issue

best

Wendell
Wendell Levi Teodoro
My Agents
Press - Getty Images
Creative Rep - T.I.D. FashionID, DBP Productions & The Nest Agency
My Book - Zeduce
wendellt
Outstanding Member of the year (Don't try this at home.)

Postby whitey on Tue May 19, 2009 8:52 pm

Geez, there is come anticipation on these photos.
D80, 50mm F/1.8, 18-70mm DX, Sigma 10-20mm
whitey

Postby Geoff on Tue May 19, 2009 9:43 pm

whitey wrote:Geez, there is come anticipation on these photos.

And rightly so Whitey - this whole thing was not meant to take this long and I take my hat off to Patrick for his display of patience and tolerance!
Geoff
Geoff

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed May 20, 2009 9:01 pm

i think it's great that this has come full circle... focusing on the positive side, I am very excited to see this collection.

how will we get to see them? assuming they will be posted somewhere in here... perhaps if not this thread, that a link be posted in here...?

thanks in advance... :cheers:
Oz_Beachside

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed May 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Oz_Beachside wrote:i think it's great that this has come full circle... focusing on the positive side, I am very excited to see this collection.

how will we get to see them? assuming they will be posted somewhere in here... perhaps if not this thread, that a link be posted in here...?

I will develop the film and have it scanned. I will speak with Gary but my plan is to post thumbnails in a thread with a link to the larger image on the gallery site.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Thu May 21, 2009 1:17 am

Reschsmooth wrote:
Oz_Beachside wrote:i think it's great that this has come full circle... focusing on the positive side, I am very excited to see this collection.

I will develop the film and have it scanned. I will speak with Gary but my plan is to post thumbnails in a thread with a link to the larger image on the gallery site.

That will work.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon May 25, 2009 8:02 pm

Wendell, can you please confirm that you have mailed the camera?
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby ATJ on Tue May 26, 2009 10:00 am

Reschsmooth wrote:Wendell, can you please confirm that you have mailed the camera?

Uh oh... here we go again. :evil:
ATJ

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed May 27, 2009 4:07 pm

FINALLY, I have received the camera, about 4.5 months after the exercise started. Pa joked(?) early on that the way things were going, we would have the results by the June long weekend. Guess what, the June long weekend is the one after this!

I have only had a quick glance at the state of the camera - there is black tape over the left hand corner (looking from the back) - this implies that it is to keep the film door closed. If this is the case, I will be extremely pissed off. If there is another, more benign reason, I am all ears. This suggests that I am surprised to see the black tape as no-one bothered to mention it on the thread - I have gone through all the posts and I couldn't see mention of anyone applying the tape.

My plan is to develop the film this weekend and have scanned next. I then have to go through the process of uploading them onto the website and then onto here as thumbnail links. This suggests I should have the final results by the June long weekend, notwithstanding that we will be planning and throwing a 2nd birthday party that weekend.

To those who complied with the rules, provided updates, and showed respect & courtesy to the others on the list, my thanks.

I really didn't think the exercise would be that hard.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Wed May 27, 2009 4:18 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:there is black tape over the left hand corner (looking from the back) - this implies that it is to keep the film door closed. If this is the case, I will be extremely pissed off. If there is another, more benign reason, I am all ears. This suggests that I am surprised to see the black tape as no-one bothered to mention it on the thread - I have gone through all the posts and I couldn't see mention of anyone applying the tape.

If anybody wishes to pass this information on, but remain anonymous, then they may send a PM via myself. My (and I am confident that Patrick's) preference would be that Patrick be informed directly, but I am offering this option as an alternate mode.

I do have one other thought on this matter that I will discuss, off-line, with Patrick.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Wed May 27, 2009 5:23 pm

gstark wrote:
Reschsmooth wrote:there is black tape over the left hand corner (looking from the back) - this implies that it is to keep the film door closed. If this is the case, I will be extremely pissed off. If there is another, more benign reason, I am all ears. This suggests that I am surprised to see the black tape as no-one bothered to mention it on the thread - I have gone through all the posts and I couldn't see mention of anyone applying the tape.

If anybody wishes to pass this information on, but remain anonymous, then they may send a PM via myself. My (and I am confident that Patrick's) preference would be that Patrick be informed directly, but I am offering this option as an alternate mode.

I do have one other thought on this matter that I will discuss, off-line, with Patrick.

If that person doesn't come forward, people who were part of the exercise could easily state whether the tape was present or not when they had the camera. Then it would be a fairly simple process of elimination to work out when the tape was introduced. Of course, this should only be done if the person doesn't contact Patrick.
ATJ

Postby gstark on Wed May 27, 2009 5:33 pm

ATJ wrote:
gstark wrote:I do have one other thought on this matter that I will discuss, off-line, with Patrick.

If that person doesn't come forward, people who were part of the exercise could easily state whether the tape was present or not when they had the camera. Then it would be a fairly simple process of elimination to work out when the tape was introduced. Of course, this should only be done if the person doesn't contact Patrick.

You've been reading my mind. Careful that you don't get arrested for reading obscene material.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed May 27, 2009 5:38 pm

ATJ wrote:If that person doesn't come forward, people who were part of the exercise could easily state whether the tape was present or not when they had the camera. Then it would be a fairly simple process of elimination to work out when the tape was introduced. Of course, this should only be done if the person doesn't contact Patrick.

Firstly, there is the possibility that the tape was a preventative measure to ensure the film door doesn't come open during transit.

However, assuming that it indeed was broken, I would have thought that this community and in particular, those who participated, was/were mature and respectful enough to own up to it and let me know. It matters not if this is done privately via PM or in public. I personally would rather not have to go through the process of hoping everyone responds and then deducing who put the tape on as my time has value. I appreciate that this is a logical process that could go through, but it also requires a level of honesty. That assumption I am less likely to make now.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Wed May 27, 2009 5:57 pm

Further to Patrick's comments - with which I agree 100% - I would like to think that, had there been some sort of an issue that resulted in the film back being opened and the enclosed film becoming fogged, Patrick should be informed of this prior to him being asked to process the film.

A couple of other thoughts ...

Patrick - the frame counter on the FE resets itself back to zero upon the film back being opened. Please check the current indicated frame counter value.

If the film has been fogged, it will most likely have only been partially fogged. At the time the film back was opened (if this has occurred) any unused film - still held in the can - should not have been fogged. This would help to pin down just where and by whom any such fogging may have occurred.

Of course, the most likely - and preferable - explanation would be that somebody simply added this tape for security/protection, in which case it's a non-issue, except of course for the fact that they haven't yet advised you of this.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed May 27, 2009 6:07 pm

gstark wrote:Patrick - the frame counter on the FE resets itself back to zero upon the film back being opened. Please check the current indicated frame counter value.

A quick perusal when I opened the box indicated frame number 24.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Alpha_7 on Wed May 27, 2009 6:07 pm

Glad it has made it back, I'm a bit worried about the tape situation. I hope it's resolved smoothly, on a personal note I've had over half my gear out on loan to other members on here, so far its all come back in one piece and I've never had a thought of offering the gear out, but this incident makes me stop and pause.

On a happier note I'm really looking forward to the photos when they are shown :)
Alpha_7

Postby gstark on Wed May 27, 2009 6:16 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:
gstark wrote:Patrick - the frame counter on the FE resets itself back to zero upon the film back being opened. Please check the current indicated frame counter value.

A quick perusal when I opened the box indicated frame number 24.

Ok. That's a good sign.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed May 27, 2009 6:24 pm

gstark wrote:Ok. That's a good sign.

I am confident it is, also.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby surenj on Wed May 27, 2009 6:48 pm

Can't wait to see the photos. It would be the most varied subject matter and styles that the camera/lens has ever seen!
surenj

Postby Critter on Wed May 27, 2009 9:32 pm

It definitely had tape on it by the time that I received it, but if there is a problem with the camera, ie if it is broken, I am fully prepared to pay for a new one for Patrick (new 2nd hand obviously) or if one can't be found I am happy to send you the money that one in good condition is worth.

Everytime I have heard someone complain about how long it has taken to conclude this project, I get pangs of guilt, so if there is any loss that Patrick has suffered, I am more than happy to compensate for it...
Chris
D300 | D80 | 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 35 f/2 | 105VR f/2.8 | 18-200VR | SB600 | R1 | GP-1 |
Critter

Postby aim54x on Wed May 27, 2009 10:05 pm

Critter wrote:It definitely had tape on it by the time that I received it, but if there is a problem with the camera, ie if it is broken, I am fully prepared to pay for a new one for Patrick (new 2nd hand obviously) or if one can't be found I am happy to send you the money that one in good condition is worth.

:agree: I will happily contribute as well!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby biggerry on Wed May 27, 2009 11:17 pm

I will happily contribute as well!

man i had nothing to do with the whole thing but I would also contribute - better yet, pay per view on the pictures :twisted: :cough: :cough:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu May 28, 2009 10:27 am

Thanks for the offer guys, very generous. At this stage, it appears that tape was a precautionary measure to stop the door accidentally opening. Pending confirmation of this, my plan is to remove the tape whilst the camera is in the dark bag when I load the film into the developing tank.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Antsl on Thu May 28, 2009 10:57 am

Hi All...
Sorry for not seeing this thread sooner... my iMac and browser (Safari) struggle with this website nowadays and so having a wander through the pages is near impossible unless I drop into FireFox.
Anyway... yes, it was I who put the tape on the camera... knowing that some people (little people in particular) have a habit of playing with knobs I was reluctant to see a few months of work and effort get wasted by someone accidentally pulling on the big round knob on the left and suddenly discovering that it opens the magic door!
"Daddy... where does the card go!!!" :roll:
Ages ago I was taught that if you can do something to avoid a future problem... do it!
Sorry again for the confusion.... Ants
Antsl

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 am

Thanks Antsl, greatly appreciated.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Thu May 28, 2009 12:13 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:Thanks Antsl, greatly appreciated.

:agree:

Ants,

Antsl wrote:my iMac and browser (Safari) struggle with this website nowadays and so having a wander through the pages is near impossible unless I drop into FireFox.

We are optimised for Firefox, but that said, I would appreciate it, if can spare a moment, if you could PM me details of the specific issues that you're seeing. I'm using a 2yo macBook/FF/Tiger with no issues, but can drop into Safari if need be.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ATJ on Thu May 28, 2009 1:45 pm

gstark wrote:
Antsl wrote:my iMac and browser (Safari) struggle with this website nowadays and so having a wander through the pages is near impossible unless I drop into FireFox.

We are optimised for Firefox, but that said, I would appreciate it, if can spare a moment, if you could PM me details of the specific issues that you're seeing. I'm using a 2yo macBook/FF/Tiger with no issues, but can drop into Safari if need be.

Odd! I was able to navigate here and post this reply using my iPod (which uses Safari). Everything seems to work exactly as it does with Firefox on my PC.
ATJ

Postby Critter on Thu May 28, 2009 5:17 pm

I use safari on a new MB and have zero issues with this site.
Chris
D300 | D80 | 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 35 f/2 | 105VR f/2.8 | 18-200VR | SB600 | R1 | GP-1 |
Critter

Postby Antsl on Thu May 28, 2009 11:30 pm

Ah, technology....
For the past few months I have constant problems accessing this site. The problem I was getting was that if I tried to log in or even if I was just moving backwards from one page to another I would end up getting a blank screen that would just go nowhere, even as I tried to reload. Well now that I have gone and mentioned it on the site you can guess what has happened.... my browser is now behaving itself with this site..... :?
The gremlins are laughing at me again.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Antsl

Postby ATJ on Fri May 29, 2009 10:19 am

Are you going to www.dslrusers.com or www.dslrusers.net?

How do you normally start a session, from a bookmark or from a link?

The problems you describe sound like those you get if you connect to .net rather than .com because the cookies don't get stored correctly. If you are going off the links in notification emails, they could connect you to either depending on what the poster used.
ATJ

Postby Antsl on Fri May 29, 2009 10:41 am

I'm using the .com ..... for some mystical reason it is all behaving itself now. :?
Antsl

Postby ATJ on Fri May 29, 2009 12:51 pm

Antsl wrote:I'm using the .com ..... for some mystical reason it is all behaving itself now. :?

Is it possible you were using .net at the times you were having login problems?
ATJ

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri May 29, 2009 12:53 pm

On [topic] ramp, 2km. :biglaugh:
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby ATJ on Fri May 29, 2009 1:44 pm

Hey, we have to talk about something while we're waiting for you to develop the film, scan it and upload the images for viewing. :P
ATJ

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri May 29, 2009 2:29 pm

ATJ wrote:Hey, we have to talk about something while we're waiting for you to develop the film, scan it and upload the images for viewing. :P

And that's the best topic you can talk about? :rotfl2:
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby gstark on Fri May 29, 2009 4:07 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:
ATJ wrote:Hey, we have to talk about something while we're waiting for you to develop the film, scan it and upload the images for viewing. :P

And that's the best topic you can talk about? :rotfl2:

It's either that or my left armpit. What would your choice be? :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby phillipb on Fri May 29, 2009 5:17 pm

So how is your left armpit Gary? :D

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:43 pm

I have processed the film and there are some interesting shots there. I will have it scanned this week. We don't have any internet connection at home at the moment so I won't be able to upload them until this is rectified, which I anticipate is this week.

Now, it appears there has been some very selective fogging of the film. I notice that, on a few of the early shots, mine included, there is a distinct black strip running across the neg - this suggests to me that there was some light coming through the film slit in the film cannister itself. I can't see how any other form of light-leak could have manifested itself given the black strip. My dark bag & developing tank are sound. The film cannister is one of those plastic, reusable types, and the felt around the slit seemed a little worn.

The more learned amongst us can diagnose this once the images are available for viewing.

So, I hope to the images up and available by this weekend. In order to ensure I correctly attribute each image to the photographer, I will PM those involved with the gallery site so they can verify that I have the correct photo/photographer before making them public.

I think that is it for now.

Back to Gary's left armpit.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby dviv on Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks Patrick, sounds like it will be great :cheers:

Sniff, Sniff..... eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww :cry:
7D, 60D, 70-200mm f/4LIS, 17-50mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 580EX II
dviv

PreviousNext

Return to Film and Non-Digital Imaging