Looking for Nikon Repair (far) western Sydney

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Looking for Nikon Repair (far) western Sydney

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:29 pm

I managed to crack the glass covering the LCD screen (The one on top, not the view screen at the back) on my D200.
While the camera still works fine, I would like to get it repaired ASAP & definitely before I go to Antarctica.

Any recommendations for a point of repair? Also any idea of cost?

Ideally I would like same day service, which doesn't point to Nikon Aust
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Re: Looking for Nikon Repair (far) western Sydney

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:11 pm

Greg,

Mr Darcy wrote:Ideally I would like same day service, which doesn't point to Nikon Aust

Nikon Oz was going to be my suggestion as your first port of call; given that you'll be needing parts, I don't know that anyone else would be able to even think about same day service: think about where the parts need to be sourced. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raskill on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:33 pm

I recently used Digital Camera Repairs, and was very happy with the service.

http://www.cameraservicecentre.powerup.com.au/

I needed the same screen replaced on one of my D700's. Cost about $200 if I recall. Not to bad.

Fast service and good communication.

EDIT:

I reckon you'll be pushing the proverbial up hill to try and get same day service. When parts are required, they need to be ordered.
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby Mr Darcy on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:59 pm

Raskill wrote:When parts are required, they need to be ordered.

My thought was to organise it by phone in advance. Then when they tell me they have the part in stock, bring the camera in for the job to be done. I am happy to pay for the part up front so there shouldn't be a problem on the "We don't want to order it in case you don't turn up" front.

Same day is more for not having to go all that way twice in quick succession not because I need it in a hurry.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:11 pm

Mr Darcy wrote:My thought was to organise it by phone in advance. Then when they tell me they have the part in stock, bring the camera in for the job to be done.

That sounds ok in theory.

In practice, it'll be the service tech who decides what parts are needed. No reflection on you, Greg, but often what we may see as a broken screen may actually be an assembly, with several parts that may need replacing ... and not all of the damage may be visible without dismantling the camera. What if there's a cable that might be able to be reused, or perhaps can sometimes be reused ... and other times not.

That's been my experience with these sorts of things, and until dismantling has occurred, there's usually no way to accurately assess the cost of the repair.

I fully understand your motivation; might it be more expedient to use a courier?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:18 pm

Greg, sorry to hear about your injury.

Perhaps PM Cameron. He has contacts etc at nikon who might be able to expedite things for you.
surenj

Postby aim54x on Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:52 pm

Greg, send it to me, I have some techs I can use, but they are in the Sydney CBD.

You will most likely need a whole new Top cover (silly I know) so be prepared for a exy repair (parts are exy).

Cheers
Cameron
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Trader Opinions