Fuji XT1 QR L bracket .....

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Fuji XT1 QR L bracket .....

Postby bigsarg7 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:45 pm

Hey guys,

Just been looking around at some of the QR L brackets that are currently available for the Fuji XT1. Its not something I need right now, but it is something I would like to look into. However, on searching for compatibility with my current Manfrotto Joystick 222 Head which uses the QR Plate 200PL-14 RC2, I cannot find if any of the currently marketed L brackets will fit my current set up. I really like my joystick head, but I have to say shooting portrait orientation is just not good, I mean my xt1 is nothing in weight compared to my d700 but in saying that its just awkward. I figure an L bracket would be a good idea to have, but not essential. Do you have any idea on compatibility of any current XT1 L brackets that would suit? I am really enjoying getting out and shooting some nights cape photographs and well I like the portrait orientation for those shots and I can see my current joystick head arrangements driving me insane as it isn't the most shake free way to photograph things. So yeah, all you fuji fans will no doubt have an opinion of some sort. :lol:

Anyways, talk soon.

Bigsarg7
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Re: Fuji XT1 QR L bracket .....

Postby aim54x on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:37 pm

Not a Fuji fan....but the advice would be to get rid of the Manfrotto system, there are not many options for L-brackets there (none come to mind) but if you move to an arca swiss QR system (maybe change the quick release on your 222) you will have plenty of options.

This should do the trick to get you into a Acra Swiss QR
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/522722 ... ase-system

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Arca-swiss-t ... 1315679009

As for L-brackets

Really Right Stuff (the stuff that a few members here use)
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/X-T1/
But I would also keep an eye on Bhphotovideo's used section
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... av-Search=

Then there is the usual selection of aftermarket bits
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... ifilm.html

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw ... =&_sacat=0
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Matt. K on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:39 pm

Now THAT is an informative reply! Great work Cameron!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby aim54x on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:49 pm

Matt. K wrote:Now THAT is an informative reply! Great work Cameron!

:cheers:

Also, I would suggest getting rid of the Manfrotto 222 completely. I had a 322 (basically a 222 on its side, and thus a lower centre of gravity and supposedly better weight handling) and hated it but persevered with it until I took the jump to Arca Swiss.

Take a look at this little gem that I have been using for 3+years now I have used it with my D700 + 70-200VR at times.
http://mainlinephoto.com.au/sirui-k-10x-ballhead/

Its bigger brother the K20X is another good option and not much more expensive. I will personally vouch for Scott and the team at Mainline Photo as being passionate photographers who do their best to provide internationally competitive pricing.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:27 pm

Wow, so much to take in digest and get my mind around, I will have a look at all the links and see what I think afterwards...... thanks heaps for the replies. Love the advice and support... better than local stores thats for sure!
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Postby photohiker on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:54 pm

I agree that the Manfrotto head isn't the best. Some of the Manfrotto heads can be retrofitted with Arca Swiss, but at the end of the day it's easier to switch to a decent ballhead. From the look of it, your joystick head isn't one that can be retrofitted with Arca.

I bought a LB-XT1 from ebay for my Fuji, works well. Probably 95% as good as a RRS plate at a fraction of the cost.
photohiker

Postby bigsarg7 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:57 pm

Well I've just purchased the battery grip, so once I get it and re save some money etc I will buy an L bracket and a new ball head I think. I looked into the sirui Cameron and I quite liked it. So likely going to head through Mainlinephoto for it in the future. Thanks heaps for all the advice and feedback.
bigsarg7

Postby ozimax on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:19 am

aim54x wrote:

Also, I would suggest getting rid of the Manfrotto 222 completely. I had a 322 (basically a 222 on its side, and thus a lower centre of gravity and supposedly better weight handling) and hated it but persevered with it until I took the jump to Arca Swiss.

Take a look at this little gem that I have been using for 3+years now I have used it with my D700 + 70-200VR at times.

Its bigger brother the K20X is another good option and not much more expensive. I will personally vouch for Scott and the team at Mainline Photo as being passionate photographers who do their best to provide internationally competitive pricing.

I was just about to post a request for info on a ballhead for my Manfrotto tripod and voila, look what appears! Thanks Cameron and thanks Kristen.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby ozimax on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:20 am

aim54x wrote:Not a Fuji fan....

This is your problem Cameron.... :biglaugh:
ozimax

Postby bigsarg7 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:26 am

ozimax wrote:

Hahaha Agree Fraser!! There lies the problem :rotfl2:

Glad I could help you out fraser, saved you the time of typing and doing all the research!! Let me know which way you go.
bigsarg7

Postby aim54x on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:42 am

ozimax wrote:
aim54x wrote:

I was just about to post a request for info on a ballhead for my Manfrotto tripod and voila, look what appears! Thanks Cameron and thanks Kristen.

Pleasure
Cameron
aim54x

Postby aim54x on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:58 am

bigsarg7 wrote:
ozimax wrote:

Hahaha Agree Fraser!! There lies the problem :rotfl2:

Glad I could help you out fraser, saved you the time of typing and doing all the research!! Let me know which way you go.

Problem? I'm pretty happy wtih my set up, and I don't feel the need to impose my setup on others...maybe that is the problem. I have considered and tried the Fuji system a various points in time and have owned Fuji DSLR (S5 Pro) long before anyone had Fuji X-system. Let's put it this way, I have considered the Fuji and I am not a fan and the rampant preaching from sections of the user group have a similar affect to those street preachers of *insert whatever religion* add to the list of negatives.

I respect that you like your Fuji, but please don't be like others and attempt force it down my throat.

I am happy to help where I can, if you need more advice on L-brackets, ball heads, where to buy etc please feel free to ask. Sadly I am no longer working photo retail (thank god I dont have to deal with random idiots any longer) but I still have access to a bit of stuff and am trying to keep my knowledge as current as possible
Cameron
aim54x

Postby ozimax on Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:54 pm

All in jest Cameron. Fuji-ites are a bit like Apple-ites I suppose, but being Aussies, we poke fun at each and everyone we can, including ourselves. Especially Gary Stark. :biglaugh:
ozimax

Postby aim54x on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:40 am

ozimax wrote:All in jest Cameron. Fuji-ites are a bit like Apple-ites I suppose, but being Aussies, we poke fun at each and everyone we can, including ourselves. Especially Gary Stark. :biglaugh:

...and I detest Apple-ites more than Fuji-ites.....worshipping a cult who's current success relies on a tarted up Unix Kernel and some slick advertising.

All fun and games :cheers:

I love my Fuji S5 Pro, but I can't say I'm a fan of the Fuji-X and the superiority complex of elements of the user base, they are as bad as those Leica wankers (but that is another can of worms) :biglaugh:

EDIT: thanks photohiker for pointing out my small error, I should have used Unix not Linux
Last edited by aim54x on Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Matt. K on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:21 pm

FUJI IS FREAKING FANTASTIC! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Sorry cameron for any offence or hard feelings. None of it was meant to offend or upset you in any way shape or form. It was as Fraser said meant in a joking manner. I do apologise if it seemed as though we were forcing our opinions and that sort of stuff on you as its not meant that way, I am still in love with nikon, but my hands have been getting shaky and the legit reason for making the swap was for the compactness and lighter weight as I don't shake near as much.

But I have to say I'm still a Nikon-ite, Fuji-ite and sorry to say a apple-ite too. Guilty for it all!!

Cameron, you sold me my first Nikon and I would never want to upset you as i respect you, your experiences and your professionalism. I hope we can move past this and continue to be friends. I will endeavour to keep my jokes to myself so not to offend or upset others.

:)
bigsarg7

Postby ozimax on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:06 pm

bigsarg7 wrote: but my hands have been getting shaky

Too much caffeine... :biglaugh:

Or not enough?
ozimax

Postby photohiker on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:44 pm

aim54x wrote:
...and I detest Apple-ites more than Fuji-ites.....worshipping a cult who's current success relies on a tarted up Linus Kernel and some slick advertising.

All fun and games :cheers:

I'm happy with fun and games and we are all welcome to our own opinions, but not our own facts.

Apple does not rest it's operating system on a 'tarted up Linus (sic) Kernel'. It uses the XNU Kernel which is derived from the NeXT system historically sourced from both Mach and BSD Unix sources. It's similarity with Linux is that the code is released as open source (in the Darwin distribution), but it is not Linux or a 'tarted up' Linux. It's ancestry is Unix.

In any case, XNU and Linux are both mature, reliable and well supported kernels.
photohiker

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:19 am

ozimax wrote:

Or not enough?

Correct.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:19 am

ozimax wrote:All in jest Cameron. Fuji-ites are a bit like Apple-ites I suppose, but being Aussies, we poke fun at each and everyone we can, including ourselves. Especially Gary Stark. :biglaugh:

Especially.

Oh, wait .....
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bigsarg7 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:35 am

ozimax wrote:

Or not enough?

Hahahah, I wish it was that simple. But no its not a low caffeine intake or anything like that. I've had shaky hands since I was a kid but it has become more prominent in the last few years especially in my photos as when I hand hold my d700 with any real decent lens on it, my shake becomes worse and well I can't stand the shake so hence the reason I have gone the lighter system. But now I need not be tempted to buy all the new fuji glass (2.8 zooms) as it will make it a heavy system again. So for the meantime I will enjoy it with the lighter lenses.
bigsarg7

Postby zafra52 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:47 am

Ozimax, one of the short courses I did a few years back was run by a gentleman with Parkinson's. The poor man shook like jelly, but still managed to produce excellent photographs always using a tripod with a remote trigger or the built-in timer in the camera. His motto was "...with knowledge, skill, time and the right equipment you can do anything if you want to."
zafra52

Postby ozimax on Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:06 pm

zafra52 wrote:Ozimax, one of the short courses I did a few years back was run by a gentleman with Parkinson's. The poor man shook like jelly, but still managed to produce excellent photographs always using a tripod with a remote trigger or the built-in timer in the camera. His motto was "...with knowledge, skill, time and the right equipment you can do anything if you want to."

Excellent post Zaffs. My good friend and neighbour Jeffrey Lee passed away recently at age 86 (I think). He was of that school. He was patient, brilliant with his clients (eg Elizabeth Taylor, Omar Shariff, Louis Armstrong and zillions of others), and could disassemble/assemble his Nikon 35mm with his eyes closed. He fixed my old Voightlander only a few years ago. He was always remonstrating with me about my taking portraits in landscape orientation. "Portrait is for portraits!"
ozimax

Postby gstark on Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:34 am

ozimax wrote:"Portrait is for portraits!"

Funny 'bout dat.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:35 pm

gstark wrote:

Funny 'bout dat.

Aye tis funny indeed, but sometimes I like portraits in landscape orientation. I don't know why. Maybe it's the empty space provided?
ozimax

Postby gstark on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:35 am

ozimax wrote:
gstark wrote:

Funny 'bout dat.

Aye tis funny indeed, but sometimes I like portraits in landscape orientation. I don't know why. Maybe it's the empty space provided?

It's often the way, but equally, it often doesn't work.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Other