New user coming to the Gold Coast

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

New user coming to the Gold Coast

Postby EveyOz on Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:22 am

Hi, I've been a member for a month or two now. I've been lurking and reading as much as possible.

I currently live in the UK, my family and I are emigrating to the GC in the next few months. I'm looking for links with some images of the Gold coast (has anyone got a , general info about the coast? I'm also interested in photography shops and links for a photography newbie in the area.

In fact anything you can tell me about the area would be great.

I own a Nikon D200, SB800, 18-200VR, 35/F2 and Tokina 12-24. I recently moved over from a Canon D300.

Colin
EveyOz

Postby Marvin on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:30 am

I don't know much about the Gold Coast but welcome to the forum and good luck with the move!
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:34 am

Welcome from another (ex) POM :)
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Raskill on Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:53 am

Welcome aboard!

I know nothing of the Gold Coast, other that you'll get drowned in 'Schoolies' once a year. I suppose that isn't to bad a thing :lol:

Look forward to seeing some posts. Mind those SE Queenslanders, they're a strange lot :wink:
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:13 pm

I just remembered something that happened to me in Queensland - if you say g’day to a Queenslander keep in mind that it may take up to eight hours to get a reply :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:16 pm

Chris,

That quick? (I won't make any comment on my observation that it took you three hours to remember this. :) )
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MATT on Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:07 pm

sirhc55 wrote:I just remembered something that happened to me in Queensland - if you say g’day to a Queenslander keep in mind that it may take up to eight hours to get a reply :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Same time it takes to get a reply from a NewSouthwelshman when you ask who won the state of origin. :twisted: :twisted:

MATT
MATT

Postby sirhc55 on Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby EveyOz on Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:52 pm

Thank you everyone, I'm a paramedic and the wife's a nurse. We're looking forward to the experience and our new life.

Has anyone got any links I might find interesting then?

Photography, Gold coast/Australia galleries, Queensland galleries?
EveyOz

Postby Geoff on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:02 pm

Welcome to the forum EveyOz!! You'll love it up there in QLD :)
Can't tell u a lot about it really but the climate is generally beautiful one day, and perfect the next (hehe - those words were used in an advertising campaign a few years back and I guess they stuck).
You will enjoy your time here, as almost all ppl do when they arrive :)

Look forward to some images from you in your new home/environment.
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby EveyOz on Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:30 am

Geoff wrote:Welcome to the forum EveyOz!! You'll love it up there in QLD :)
Can't tell u a lot about it really but the climate is generally beautiful one day, and perfect the next (hehe - those words were used in an advertising campaign a few years back and I guess they stuck).
You will enjoy your time here, as almost all ppl do when they arrive :)

Look forward to some images from you in your new home/environment.

Thank you Geoff, do you have a gallery in Zenfolio/picassa etc with Australia images?

Everyone has been very kind, in fact my apprehension about queensland was dissolved by my interviewer for employment. He was such a nice guy I was sold on the state and the employer by the time I'd left the room.

What's with the "if you say g’day to a Queenslander keep in mind that it may take up to eight hours to get a reply" jokes about queenslanders?
EveyOz

Postby gstark on Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:04 am

EveyOz wrote:What's with the "if you say g’day to a Queenslander keep in mind that it may take up to eight hours to get a reply" jokes about queenslanders?

Queenslanders have a mind of their own.

There's maybe 2000000 of them, and they get to share just the one. :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:36 pm

EveyOz wrote:
Everyone has been very kind, in fact my apprehension about queensland was dissolved by my interviewer for employment. He was such a nice guy I was sold on the state and the employer by the time I'd left the room.

What's with the "if you say g’day to a Queenslander keep in mind that it may take up to eight hours to get a reply" jokes about queenslanders?

It's about time an actual Queenslander replied. Sorry, make that "another" actual Queenslander, 'cos Matt is too.

We're all friendly up here. South-East Queensland, where you're moving to, is the fastest growing region in the country. We get 1000+ interstate migrations a week, so we must be doing something right.

The grumblings from south of our border usually revolve around:
a) - the sporting competitions that Queensland usually win
b) - the fact that we don't have Daylight Savings. We don't need it with our climate. It's those southerners desperately seeking an hour of sunshine (any hour will do!) who need it. :lol:

I'm sure you'll really enjoy it here. Good luck with your move.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby EveyOz on Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:00 pm

I haven't received my posting from my employer (the ambulance service), all know is I am being posted to the Gold coast as yet. It all looks pretty good from here, I've been given a "buddy" to help me with the move by my boss over there, he's been helping me and will advise me on areas when I have a better idea of my workplace.

The lack of daylight savings means early nights which are a good thing for us at the moment, my two year old son gets up at 5 every day anyway. I think he's in Queensland mode already! :)

Doing internet searches from the UK means you get uk weighted results, I'm struggling to find any user galleries with images of Queensland. I've tried the google Australia site with limited success. I found this site by an Aussie on DPReviews forums pointing me here. I have since found http://www.digitalslr.com.au/forum/ from a thread on here.
Can you think of any more links I may enjoy?

One question which strikes me is where do you guys get your prints done? We have a couple of major online companies in the UK who you upload and store your images with who print and post your photo's back to you.

Who do you recommend?
EveyOz

Postby drifter on Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:08 pm

Try http://www.pbase.com/ . Try searching for Queensland .I just typed in Gold Coast and got nothing .But Queensland brought up a couple of hundred .
Advanced welcome to Australia Colin .
Tony

Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
drifter

Postby EveyOz on Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:53 pm

drifter wrote:Try http://www.pbase.com/ . Try searching for Queensland .I just typed in Gold Coast and got nothing .But Queensland brought up a couple of hundred .

I had a look around the site and there seems some stunning images. I have also had a look through zenfolio. It really is a beautiful country, we're very excited about coming over.

Thank you for your welcome messages.
:)
EveyOz

Postby Bindii on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:47 pm

EveyOz wrote:
drifter wrote:Try http://www.pbase.com/ . Try searching for Queensland .I just typed in Gold Coast and got nothing .But Queensland brought up a couple of hundred .

I had a look around the site and there seems some stunning images. I have also had a look through zenfolio. It really is a beautiful country, we're very excited about coming over.

Thank you for your welcome messages.

I don't live very far from the Gold Coast....do you know where on the Gold Coast you will be located?

I'm a bit short on time right now and will try to find some more info for you asap..

but for now I've dug up some links for ya...:)

http://www.australia-goldcoast.com.au/

http://85.255.114.126/click.php?PHPSESS ... d=5&qnaes={CFE4CB6C-3F3D-4B92-945B-3A48684DD998}

http://www.tamborinemtncc.org.au/visiti ... y_walk.cfm

http://www.gcac.com.au/whats_on/gallery/default.htm

http://www.rqasgoldcoast.com/

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/gallery/albums/3.aspx

http://www.goldcoasteguide.com/parks.php

http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/t_standard.aspx?pid=311

http://www.goldcoasttourism.com/
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Great!

Postby EveyOz on Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:33 am

That's really helpful, thank you. I can't get the second link to work though, it comes back as "old session or bad record".

I'm not sure where I'll be based yet, I have just asked my new boss where I should be. I'll see if I can get an answer soon so I can start to research likely areas to live and buy. <gulp>

My wife and I will have a read through those sites and get ourselves even more excited. :)

We would like to see some of the state and some of North NSW, what is the best way to do this? Is driving unrealistic because of the large distances?

How do Aussies tour the state?
EveyOz

Re: Great!

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:15 am

EveyOz wrote:That's really helpful, thank you. I can't get the second link to work though, it comes back as "old session or bad record".

You'll need to manually edit that link, to include the rest of the line (as you see it) as a part of the link. As it has rendered, it would be incomplete, and thus unlikely to resolve correctly.

We would like to see some of the state and some of North NSW, what is the best way to do this? Is driving unrealistic because of the large distances?

Car/road would be the best. The area in question is very picturesque, with lots of things to see and do within easy distance.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby EveyOz on Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:03 am

gstark wrote:
EveyOz wrote:That's really helpful, thank you. I can't get the second link to work though, it comes back as "old session or bad record".

You'll need to manually edit that link, to include the rest of the line (as you see it) as a part of the link. As it has rendered, it would be incomplete, and thus unlikely to resolve correctly.

Car/road would be the best. The area in question is very picturesque, with lots of things to see and do within easy distance.

Thanks, I copied and pasted the text shown again without success, did you get it to work?

Colin
EveyOz

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:21 am

Colin,

Sorry, no.

I alse tried a few variations, based upon the the embedded sections within the link, but no luck. Sorry.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Yi-P on Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:06 pm

I'm not familiar with QLD or Gold Coast itself, but I just know that the coast is long and stretching out end to end...

You might have some great time by just following the coastlines :D

I took a couple of the actual coastline last year:
http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?t=22658

You'll be having fun by just going from one end to another :P
Yi-P

Postby Bindii on Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:42 pm

I'm not sure where I'll be based yet, I have just asked my new boss where I should be. I'll see if I can get an answer soon so I can start to research likely areas to live and buy. <gulp>

My wife and I will have a read through those sites and get ourselves even more excited. :)

How do Aussies tour the state?

Oh gosh sorry about the second link...I'm not sure what happened there...and I can't remember what it was for either...so sorry...

Driving is not unrealistic at all...although I recently visited your country just before xmas and was amused by what you guys thought was a long way to drive per day in comparasion to what we think is a long way....for instance I make a yearly trek generally by myself to drive to visit a friend for a long weekend...she lives 12 hours away from me...but as far as visiting Northern NSW you will find its merely a pleasant day trip...the Gold Coast is on the border of NSW so even if you were at the most northern end of the coast its would still only be approx 1/2 - 3/4 hour to the border...

This is a shot of the beach at Southport on the Gold Coast...looking towards surfers paradise...

You will also want to get into the Gold Coast Hinterland which has some gorgeous scenery....try doing searches for places like Mount Tamborine Springbrook Mountain and Canungra...they are close to the coast less than an hours driving time and well worth it if you want something different to shoot....

http://www.bigvolcano.com.au/active/natural.htm

Taken from the top of Springbrook Mountain...

Mount Tamborine Gardens

A little further inland will take you into Beaudesert Shire....and Mount Warning...its lovely there and ideal for another day trip...

Heading a little north you have Brisbane and the commute is quite easily done also....I live on Brisbane's southside but work on the Gold Coast and it takes me approx 40 minutes to get to work...Brisbane of course has its city shopping area....but it also has Southbank Parklands, Roma Street Gardens and the usual Musuems and Art Gallerys....there is also Mount Cootha..good for the views and some lovely National Parks...

Just off Brisbane and the Gold Coast are some lovely islands...Stradbroke Island is popular....and also a favourite of mine for photography...it can be reached by car ferry from Brisbane..and if you are the more adventurous sort and have a 4 wheel drive then Moreton Island is also gorgeous....

Amity Point on Stradbroke Island..taken at the caravan park there..you can camp or rent a cabin at very reasonable rates here...

Stradbroke Island...

If you travel a little further north...approx 2 hrs from the Gold Coast - depending which end of it you will be living at-....there is the Sunshine Coast...which is in my humble opinion nicer than the Gold Coast...it has a lovely 'small town' atmosphere there in addition to some of the worlds most gorgeous beaches..

then of course depending on your sense of adventure you could continue up the state to visit the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest...I've driven it myself...but if you book in advance generally flying is the way to go...

I am sure that you have been researching the area like mad...but just in case...the weather is a tad hotter than you are used to...high 30's in summer is not unheard of....but trust me you will adapt....:) I know all you guys are scared of sharks and stuff..;) but if you do want to swim at the beaches ensure that you swim between the flags...as these are the area's that are patrolled by lifeguards...the water can be dangerous as we tend to get rips etc and even the strongest swimmers have found them selves in trouble....

There is loads of more info out there...this is just all from the top of my head...but if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me either via email...private message or msn (suematic@hotmail.com) and i will be more than happy to help answer any queries you might have....

Good luck with your move...

Bindii
Bindii

Postby EveyOz on Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:00 am

Thank you very much Bindii, you are very kind. Those pictures look like holiday postcards to us Poms, you are very lucky to have such a beautiful country.

I live in the Midlands in the UK, I grew up in Chester which was a Roman town. The area where I live now isn't very scenic.

http://evey.zenfolio.com/p693262893/

I'll take you up on that offer of help, I requested Gold Coast because I knew someone who lives there and because I thought the SE of Queenland would be better for us. I have since wondered if I should have requested the Sunshine Coast but I understand that the area is quite sought after by staff in my new employment.

Yes I am researching like mad, mostly on the POM forums where thousands of people have gone before me, I have an Australian contact who my employer has provided who is my "buddy". I would value australian answers on my hundreds of questions!

I have driven in Europe and in the US, I find UK driving particularly tiring so I try to avoid long distances. I think this is because of the volume of traffic and the Mad sales reps who think they own the motorways here! Plus fuel is very expensive, I regularly drive to the southern ports then catch a ferry to France to see my parents. The fuel costs nearly as much as the ferry sometimes. :(
EveyOz

Postby Bindii on Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:34 pm

Glad you liked the pics...I am by no means a landscape photographer but that has never stopped me from trying...;)

Hey its looks gorgeous where you live...I loved every bit of England when I was there...so many photographic oppurtunity's....so little time....I was lucky enough to be able to meet a lot of members from another photogarphic forum that I frequent while I was there which made it all the more enjoyable...:) I think I may have been in or through the Midlands whilst there...I am at the moment editing photo's taken at Kenilworth (near Coventry) is that anywhere near you...?

And I am more than happy to help you with any information that you want...if you have msn or windows messenger service just add me to your contacts (suematic@hotmail.com) that way we can chat in real time...which might make it easier...I tend to be online late at night so the time difference is not so much an issue...if you don't know anyone else here myself and my husband would also be happy to show you guys around when you arrive...a friendly face or two might make the transistion a litttle easier for you...if you don't have msn...or don't want to download it feel free to contact me via email or here...all is good...:)
Bindii

Postby ozimax on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:10 pm

Welcome to the forum, and to Oz (in advance). The very best parts of QLD are the following places:

Byron Bay
Lennox Head
Brooms Head
Iluka
Yuragyir NP
Woolgoolga
Coffs Harbour
Dorrigo

Sorry, I forgot, these places are all in NSW.... :D
:D
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby EveyOz on Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:04 pm

ozimax wrote:Welcome to the forum, and to Oz (in advance). The very best parts of QLD are the following places:

Byron Bay
Lennox Head
Brooms Head
Iluka
Yuragyir NP
Woolgoolga
Coffs Harbour
Dorrigo

Sorry, I forgot, these places are all in NSW.... :D
:D

Hehe, we're actually planning to visit all those places asap. NSW would be my second choice if it doesn't work out in QLD.

EveyOz

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:02 pm

EveyOz wrote:Hehe, we're actually planning to visit all those places asap. NSW would be my second choice if it doesn't work out in QLD.

Don't you worry about that! Queensland is definitely superior to anything south of the border.

You have already won first prize by coming to Queensland. NSW would certainly be further down the list.

I was just reading recently that a whole bunch of nurses have emigrated (from Southampton, I think) to Cairns in Queensland. They were in our newspaper saying how pleased they were with their new surroundings. :D
TFF (Trevor)
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Blackspear on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:25 pm

EveyOz wrote:...where do you guys get your prints done?

Photo Planet
16a Young Street
Southport 4215
Phone:07 5531 2227
Fax:07 5531 0303
Email pplanet@bigpond.net.au
Blackspear

Postby EveyOz on Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:12 am

Blackspear wrote:
EveyOz wrote:...where do you guys get your prints done?

Photo Planet
16a Young Street
Southport 4215
Phone:07 5531 2227
Fax:07 5531 0303
Email pplanet@bigpond.net.au

Thank you.

Do you have a service over there where you upload your images over the internet and they get posted back to you?
EveyOz

Postby big pix on Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:57 am

EveyOz wrote:Do you have a service over there where you upload your images over the internet and they get posted back to you?

......... Framed Photographics on Chervon Island, just west of Surfers about 2 K has this service........ semi pro lab......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:17 am

EveyOz wrote:Do you have a service over there where you upload your images over the internet and they get posted back to you?

As I mentioned in this thread, Hewlett Packard has just started their Snapfish service here. You can upload your images to them and order prints to be sent anywhere in the world.

I mention it again here because my niece lives in London, and she has been able to view my folder of her wedding pix on Snapfish (as have all her mates in the UK) and order prints from there.

Cool service. :D
TFF (Trevor)
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby EveyOz on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:39 am

cricketfan wrote:

As I mentioned in this thread, Hewlett Packard has just started their Snapfish service here. You can upload your images to them and order prints to be sent anywhere in the world.

I mention it again here because my niece lives in London, and she has been able to view my folder of her wedding pix on Snapfish (as have all her mates in the UK) and order prints from there.

Cool service. :D

This seems to be the norm in the UK, I use a firm called photobox or another called bonusprint here. Both have offers to tempt you in, you choose the size, upload your images then they arrive the next day at your house or the day after depending on when you upload. I'd miss this service.

http://www.bonusprint.co.uk/

http://www.photobox.co.uk/

EveyOz

Postby EveyOz on Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:45 am

cricketfan wrote:
EveyOz wrote:Hehe, we're actually planning to visit all those places asap. NSW would be my second choice if it doesn't work out in QLD.

Don't you worry about that! Queensland is definitely superior to anything south of the border.

You have already won first prize by coming to Queensland. NSW would certainly be further down the list.

I was just reading recently that a whole bunch of nurses have emigrated (from Southampton, I think) to Cairns in Queensland. They were in our newspaper saying how pleased they were with their new surroundings. :D

My local paper had full page advertisements for nurses in Cairns recently, they seem to be hitting the areas in the uK who are short of work to recruit nurses. My wife is a nurse so we will be ok.

Queensland looks excellent but why do people say are Queenslanders "as mad as cut snakes"?? What do people mean? :)
EveyOz

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:12 am

EveyOz wrote:Queensland looks excellent but why do people say are Queenslanders "as mad as cut snakes"?? What do people mean? :)

Take a look here: :lol:

http://www.australiatravelsearch.com.au/trc/slang.html

Contrary to what you may have heard, most snakes are fairly placid and won't trouble you. However, if you stir them up (eg cut them), watch out! :D

We Queenslanders are like that, except when it comes to people from NSW who don't even have to cut us! :wink: :lol:
TFF (Trevor)
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby EveyOz on Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:22 am

One of the qualities I most admire about Australians is their straight talking, I like people who tell it straight. I can't wait!
EveyOz

Postby Blackspear on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:14 am

EveyOz wrote:Thank you.

You are welcome.

I think you are going to really like it here. It usually takes the women at least 3 to 5 years to settle in as home sickness easily takes hold, old familiar things and friends no longer around makes it hard. But if you can push past this it eventually goes.

A trip with a camera and some fun, is to head on up to Tamborine Mountain, it's only 30 minutes west of the Gold Coast out through Nerang. Spectactular views. For lunch head to the Polish Cafe (a little pricey, but good tucker) and you'll love the Lorikeets, colourful cheeky liddle buggas, they'll hoe into your sugar before you blink an eye.

Cheers :D
Last edited by Blackspear on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackspear

Postby EveyOz on Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:21 am

Blackspear wrote:
EveyOz wrote:Thank you.

You are welcome.

I think you are going to really like it here. It usually takes the women at least 3 to 5 years to settle in as home sickness easily takes hold, old familiar things and friends no longer around makes it hard. But if you can push past this it eventually goes.

I trip with a camera and some fun is to head on up to Tamborine Mountain, it's only 30 minutes west of the Gold Coast out through Nerang. Spectactular views. For lunch head to the Polish Cafe (a little pricey, but good tucker) and you'll love the Lorikeets, colourful cheeky liddle buggas, they'll hoe into your sugar before you blink an eye.

Cheers :D

I'll put it on my list!

If the immigration department would get a move on and I could sell my house I'd be there a great deal sooner!!

I've never visited Aus though I have a distant relative there, my grandad was a sailor in WWII and spent 6 months in Aus after too much Aussie beer, a donkey and a thin gangplank. :)

That is the closest my family has come to a life down-under. hehe
EveyOz

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:40 pm

EveyOz wrote:why do people say are Queenslanders "as mad as cut snakes"??

Actually, we're being very kind. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Manta on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:51 pm

gstark wrote:
EveyOz wrote:why do people say are Queenslanders "as mad as cut snakes"??

Actually, we're being very kind. :)

Sadly, our reputation isn't doing a thing to stem the 1500 or so new arrivals into SEQld every week. Must be a lot of lunatic fans out there!
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby EveyOz on Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:23 am

Let's hope the flood of people slows a little while I find a house for my family!
EveyOz

Postby EveyOz on Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:52 pm

An update, well we sold the UK house. The contracts have been signed and we move out on the 30th. After a week at the mother in laws we fly out to Singapore for three days then onto Brisbane then the Gold Coast.

A mate has kindly offered to put us up until we find a rental.

I'm also looking for one or two cars, used cars seem quite expensive there but buying new seems too extravagant.

I find if I say everything I have to do in the next month really quickly it doesn't seem as bad.

eeek
EveyOz

Postby Marvin on Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:28 am

Congratulations and all the best for the move!
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby EveyOz on Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:13 pm

Cheers, I'm nervous but excited.

EveyOz

Postby Big Red on Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:54 pm

are ya there yet !!
Big Red

Postby EveyOz on Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:27 am

Yeh I'm here in Dialup hell.

I can't believe how backward internet is because of Telstra.

We went around Jacobs well on an orientation day at work. Is it really bad for mossies?

We've just bought behind pacific pines in maudsland.

EveyOz

Postby TonyH on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:19 pm

Welcome!!
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby Big Red on Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:20 pm

EveyOz wrote:Yeh I'm here in Dialup hell.

I can't believe how backward internet is because of Telstra.

We went around Jacobs well on an orientation day at work. Is it really bad for mossies?

We've just bought behind pacific pines in maudsland.

i've only just got broadband at Jacobs Well [after years of 4mb dial up]

Mossies? ... they put 100 litres of AVGAS in one the other day before they realised. :lol:

are you working from the Pimpama Station?
Big Red

Postby EveyOz on Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:43 pm

NAh, Pimpama station is just for training now. I was there and a very nice chap who is an instructor there took two UK paras on induction for a drive around.

Sadly the other UK Para has gone back home as QAS wasn't for her.

I'm in Southport at the moment.

After we move I'll get back into my photography.

I need to sort a pool fence, lots of painting. Some lights and ceiling fans, new kitchen work surfaces and appliances etc Then I can relax a bit and enjoy the place!

Where is "snapper rocks"?
EveyOz

Postby Big Red on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:01 pm

snapper rocks is down Tweed heads way somewhere i think
Big Red

Next

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast