Camera Gear stolen from Morayfield

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Camera Gear stolen from Morayfield

Postby Myrtle on Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi All

Friends of mine had a break in last weekend and had their camera gear stolen and thought it worthwhile to let you know in case you see any of the items in your travels. They weren't insured and one of the D200s is only 5 days old and the poor buggers had got it on terms so still have to pay for it!!!

All items were Nikon - item and serial numbers:
D200: 6036 820
D200: 6061 719
50mm lens: 061 9409
18-135mm: 2398 759
55-200mm: 0524 379
Battery Grip: 2196 952

Thanks

Linda
Myrtle

Re: Camera Gear stolen from Morayfield

Postby phoenix on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:17 am

Wow that's quite a list of stuff. That really sucks it was all stolen. I really hope they get it all back! Just wondering if anyone has had any success getting camera gear back after it was stolen? Not to sound negative or anything, but it seems like the kind of stuff that might actually be easier to get back than most stuff.
phoenix

Postby photohiker on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:22 am

Pre DSLR, I had all my gear stolen in a house break-in. Turned out, the crook was a druggie, and he tried to sell the camera down the local camera shop. The quick-thinking proprietor smelt a rat and alerted the cops with a description and car details. Hapless crook was apprehended and we got our stuff back. :)

Doubt that happens very often though.

Michael
photohiker

Postby Bindii on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:24 am

Oh that seriously sucks... ! *hugs* for your friends.. :cry:

I know how they feel though.. some years ago I was broken into and they stole my kit (no insurance - yeah young and stoopid).. they took and I presume kept the camera with the attached lens and then the bastards smashed the remaining lenses on the road... I'm still working on replacing them all bit by bit...

I hope that your friends have more luck than me getting their stuff back...

:)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby Myrtle on Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:49 am

Bindii wrote:Oh that seriously sucks... ! *hugs* for your friends..

Thanks Bindii
Unfortunately I don't hold out much hope for them getting their gear back - I've been burgled twice in my life and never got anything back although the cops did catch and prosecute the w@%$#%s that did it.

Linda
Myrtle

Postby surenj on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:25 pm

Sorry to hear about your friends loss Myrtle. Hope the stuff turns up somewhere and they get it back.

Myrtle wrote:
Bindii wrote:Oh that seriously sucks... ! *hugs* for your friends..

Thanks Bindii
Unfortunately I don't hold out much hope for them getting their gear back - I've been burgled twice in my life and never got anything back although the cops did catch and prosecute the w@%$#%s that did it.

Linda

I agree with the low likelihood of getting the stuff back. I have been robbed in the past and the police didn't even take that much notice. I had a close call where a burglar broke through a lock on my door but I was in the next room!!! The moments that it took for me to realise what was going on was enough for him to make a slow exit without any of my possessions. Looked like a druggie (muttering nonsense while he was making his way out) I am just glad that I wasn't hurt...
surenj

Postby Grev on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:58 am

I remember we got a message of not letting D200s being taken in and to repairs, I guess this is the same case. I work at Photo Continental that is.
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby chrisk on Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:37 am

excuse my nievity, but doesnt house insurance cover any of that stuff ? or were they not insured at all ?
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Myrtle on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:16 pm

Rooz wrote:excuse my nievity, but doesnt house insurance cover any of that stuff ? or were they not insured at all ?

They had no insurance.
Contents policies vary widely as to the limit per item. Does pay to specify your gear in your policy and make sure it is covered for its full replacement cost and for use in and out of the house.

Rooz wrote: remember we got a message of not letting D200s being taken in and to repairs, I guess this is the same case. I work at Photo Continental that is.

Yip probably in relation to their gear as one of the D200's had a fault and was actually days away from being taken in to get fixed.

Linda
Myrtle

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast