New to Brissy, and I guess to SLR's

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

New to Brissy, and I guess to SLR's

Postby funkymonkey on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:12 am

Hi guys, my name's Shan, just moved to Brissy from Melbourne for work. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Don't really have an SLR while I'm here, I'm making do with a Canon S3 IS (with all firmware hackery that goes with it). I used to work at Canon in their digital imaging dept, and unfortunately that makes me a bit of a Canon junkie (printers, scanners, cameras etc).

I used to shoot pics on film using an old Olympus OM4 when I was in Melbourne, and I'll probably acquire a Digital SLR in the near future.

To summarise what I like in a sentence, I'd have to say "I void warranties". I'm a bit of a gadget junkie, and I love tweaking, meddling, hacking and all sorts of stuff associated with it. By that nature I'm also fairly good at un-firetrucking stuff when they've been broken too :D

Anyways, just thought I'd say hi, and make some new aquaintances while I'm in this strange town where cafe's close at 10pm and Coles and Safeway at 6pm.
funkymonkey

Re: New to Brissy, and I guess to SLR's

Postby foonji on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:36 am

Welcome here and to brissy!

I too have recently relocated to Brissy from Adelaide.
http://www.franchi.com.au

"This is my Canon, this is my gun; one is for shooting, the other is for fun."
foonji

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:02 pm

funkymonkey wrote:Anyways, just thought I'd say hi, and make some new aquaintances while I'm in this strange town where cafe's close at 10pm and Coles and Safeway at 6pm.

And women still aren't allowed in the front bar! :D Welcome.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Bindii on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:36 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:
funkymonkey wrote:Anyways, just thought I'd say hi, and make some new aquaintances while I'm in this strange town where cafe's close at 10pm and Coles and Safeway at 6pm.

And women still aren't allowed in the front bar! :D Welcome.

You wish!! :cheers:

Welcome funky monkey.. nice to see you posting! :)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Postby funkymonkey on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:37 pm

Cheers guys... thanks for the warm reception.

Reschsmooth... gotta watch out for them fellas in the front bar, something queer about them these days if they don't wanna mingle with the ladies in the lounge.

So just for shiggles (shits n giggles) I decided to order some 58mm adapters for the Canon S3. Hilarity (and much vignetting) is sure to ensue. I'm thinking of going up Mt Cootha (seeing as I live at the base of it) to take some pics, apparently there's a lookout point/restaurant up there. Gonna get my monopod n wannabe SLR-ing on. I'll knuckle down and buy a canon SLR sometime in the next few months.
funkymonkey

Postby ozimax on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:48 pm

funkymonkey wrote:I'll knuckle down and buy a canon SLR sometime in the next few months.

Funky, at least you're heading in the right direction... :)
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby azza_25 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:30 am

Welcome to Brisvegas! :D

Mount Cootha's a good starting point - then afterwards perhaps the gardens near the base no?

Cheers and looking forward to meeting with you,

Az.
Nikon D90|Nikon D80|MB-D80|SB600|18-105mmf3.5-5.8VR|Tokina 11-16mm f2.8|18-135mm f3.5-5.8|50mm fixed f1.8 - yeah i know - lot of kit
azza_25

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast