Brisbane meet - Sat Feb 20th

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Brisbane meet - Sat Feb 20th

Postby Bindii on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:52 am

Okay I thought I would start a new thread for this topic as its kinda gotten lost in the other thread (ooops) so that those who haven't seen it will have the chance to attend if they wish..

We are organising a meet up for the Brisbane/Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast peeps in Brisbane city.. I thought it would be nice to have something different to shoot for the occassion instead of just wandering aimlessly hoping to spot something and well since portraits is what I do it was easy to get some models interested in posing for us in exchange for cd's of the images taken from the attending photographers.. don't panic the girls are not expecting pro glamour shots so please don't feel that you don't want to attend in case you think your work isn't good enough.. :)

So here's the details of the shoot so far: (please feel free to add any feedback if anyone has a better idea on where to meet and time etc).. :)

When: Saturday Feb 20th

Where: Brisbane city - I'm considering the Riverside centre as there are some good places there for photography with the board walk, the river and the streets themselves. Does anyone have a better idea as I don't know the city very well.

Time: 3pm start.. or should be we make it 3:30 for better light..??

What to bring: Yourselves, Camera, reflectors if you have them (I'm taking mine and am happy to lend them if we need them) and tripod if you want, memory cards, batteries for flash if using one, idea's (feel free to cut pic out of magazines for posing idea's you may want to try. the models are all experienced so they will have some good idea's of their own too), water (cause its hot hot hot), and a smile! :)

The models will be there for approx two hours although they said the are happy to stay longer if needed and there is the possibility that we might stop for a bite to eat or drink after the shoot if anyone is interested and doesn't have to rush home.

So who is in? :)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Re: Brisbane meet - Sat Feb 20th

Postby Big Red on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:53 pm

Yep Yep Yep ... count me in :mrgreen:
Big Red

Postby TC on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:52 pm

yep..me too
TC

Postby Manta on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 am

I'm there Sue.

Riverside is good as there are a couple of good locations/different backdrops nearby, both modern and historical. Customs House and the small park just past it might be worth considering as well.
We can arrange a specific meeting point/swapping of mobile numbers etc closer to the day.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby Bindii on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Sounds good to me Simon.. I'm not sure where the park is but if its within walking distance no reason why we can't shoot there too..

And yup we'll all exchange mobile numbers etc closer to the day in case anyone (most likely me) gets lost.. ;)
Bindii

Postby Bob G on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Hi Sue

I think I'd like to come down and join in this one.
Sounds like fun and a good chance for me to meet you guys and try a new lens.

Any suggestions for car parking in that area?
Bob
"Wake up and smell the pixels!"
Bob G

Postby Bindii on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:49 pm

Bob G wrote:Hi Sue

I think I'd like to come down and join in this one.
Sounds like fun and a good chance for me to meet you guys and try a new lens.

Any suggestions for car parking in that area?

Thats great Bob! The more the merrier I say.. :)

Oh carparking.. you could do what I do and hit the city then drive around the streets in a panic riddled state until you find a carpark.. :shock:

Or if memory serves me correctly if you follow Eagle street past the Riverside Centre (heading towards the city centre) and veer left there is a car park about 500 mts around the corner from the Riverside Centre.. its been a while since I've been there but I have parked there a few times when I shot weddings in the church around the corner.. hope that helps? :)
Bindii

Postby Bob G on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks Sue

Sounds easy enough - I'll probably stay down for drinks etc. and come back to the coast next day.
Bob
Bob G

Postby fhphoto on Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Count me in too!!
fhphoto

Postby zafra52 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:37 pm

I would like to come too!
zafra52

Postby Bindii on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:34 am

Excellent.. it will be great to meet some other members.. :)
Bindii

Postby Ladybird on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:22 am

I'm in too!

Not sure about drinks/dinner though.

Cheers,
L
I'll try to be a bit nicer, if you try to be a bit smarter.
Ladybird

Postby stetner on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:30 pm

If I can remember how to work my camera :oops: , I will try to come along too.

Doug
So many toys, so little time....
stetner

Postby blacknstormy on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:38 pm

bump bump bump

Did you guys decide on a time (ie 3/3.30 ?? ) and where we will meet ??? :)

Oh - by the way, I'm coming .. :) :) We will actually be working on a survey down the coast, but I'm ditching poor Damo without a car down the coast, and coming up for the shoot - I'm even ditching a frogging night with the Gold Coast City Council (oops - probably should be going to that, but Damo said that he would excuse me) .. so looking forward to it. Will be weird to shoot people instead of frogs/snakes/insects, but I might be able to find some bugs at the riverside gardens ;)

my mobile is 0412 550 240
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby Bindii on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:36 pm

blacknstormy wrote:bump bump bump

Did you guys decide on a time (ie 3/3.30 ?? ) and where we will meet ??? :)

Poor Damon.. we will have to make it worth your while to drop everything to join in on this :) I for one am stoked as its been far too long since we caught up!

Oh - by the way, I'm coming .. :) :) We will actually be working on a survey down the coast, but I'm ditching poor Damo without a car down the coast, and coming up for the shoot - I'm even ditching a frogging night with the Gold Coast City Council (oops - probably should be going to that, but Damo said that he would excuse me) .. so looking forward to it. Will be weird to shoot people instead of frogs/snakes/insects, but I might be able to find some bugs at the riverside gardens ;)

my mobile is 0412 550 240

The models are set to arrive at three.. so we should be shooting by 3.30pm at the latest.. As there are three models (two working as a team) we will probably divide into two groups with one group shooting the two girls and the other shooting the other model.. and I anticipate that we will hopefully be able to do this close enough to each other so that we can swap stroll backwards and forwards as we wish.. I just figured that this way we all have a fair chance to get some good images and to ask the girls to try out different poses instead of one poor girl trying to please everyone.. (look at me.. no look at me!).. lol.

So if we can all aim to meet by three at the Riverside centre (we'll be the ones with the camera's and tripods etc).. I haven't been there for ages but if memory serves me correctly there used to be a photography gallery there.. we could meet near there (it wll give us something to ooh and ahhh over or pick to bits while we wait ;)) if its raining I think there are enough undercover area's in the city to use until it clears (hell even a carpark would work).. my mobile number is 0412 449 763 so anyone can call if they get lost or are running late etc.. if everyone shows there will be at least nine people there (bazza is talking about comeing too but hasn't posted here).. did you get hold of Steve to see if he wanted to join us too Simon?.. it should be a great aftermoon.. I'm looking forward to it! :)
Bindii

Postby stetner on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:48 pm

Alas, going underwater (with the camera ) now... so I will not make it (unless the seas get rough!

Have a good time!

Doug
So many toys, so little time....
stetner

Postby Ladybird on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Any more talk about dinner or drinks afterwards?
Ladybird

Postby Bindii on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:53 pm

Ladybird wrote:Any more talk about dinner or drinks afterwards?

There is nothing set in concrete about drinks/dinner etc.. its just an option if anyone wants to hang around and has time.. :)
Bindii

Postby Manta on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:56 am

Steve's in Nepal at present - the models might not be as attractive but the scenery possibly makes up for it!

I don't think the photo gallery has been there for ages - it's all a construction site now as they're putting a building up on top of that section. I suggest just somewhere at the top of the steps that lead down to the river, near the water feature?

After the shoot, maybe some dinner and a drink or two, I might check out the photographic possibilities from the new park at the northern end of the Kangaroo Point Cliffs, where the TAFE College used to be. Just a thought.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
Manta

Postby TonyH on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:32 am

I'd like to try and make it if possible...

Not had much chance to post of late so would be good to catch up with other members if time permits.... :D
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby Manta on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:51 am

Just had a quick wander down there and the gallery is definitely gone. Best meet point would be the tree and bench beside the water feature at the back (Brisbane River side) of the building. Address is 123 Eagle Street.
Simon
Manta

Postby Big Red on Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:53 pm

sounds good :mrgreen:
Big Red

Postby Bob G on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm still in.
Bob
Bob G

Postby Bindii on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:13 pm

Manta wrote:Just had a quick wander down there and the gallery is definitely gone. Best meet point would be the tree and bench beside the water feature at the back (Brisbane River side) of the building. Address is 123 Eagle Street.

Thanks Simon.. its been ages since I was there..:)

It will be good to catch up with everyone and put some faces to names for others.. I'm looking forward to it.. :)
Bindii

Postby blacknstormy on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:09 pm

bump bump :)
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

blacknstormy

Postby surenj on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:31 pm

Wish we had this sort of informal opportunity in Sydney! Good luck guys and looking forward to seeing results.
surenj

Postby Bindii on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:36 am

surenj wrote:Wish we had this sort of informal opportunity in Sydney! Good luck guys and looking forward to seeing results.

I can't see why you couldn't arrange something like this.. It was easy to organise 3 models and make up etc done all for free.. models are always after photographers to help with their portfolios and we like to take images of models for our portfolios.. make up artists need images for thier portfolio's.. its simply an exchange of skills.. the models model for free.. the make up artists and hair stylists do the beauty work for free.. we just send a disc of some images from the shoot to both so they can use them in their ports and everyone is happy.. :)
Bindii

Postby Big Red on Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:25 am

Well ...
another great day with a great bunch of people. :mrgreen:

I didn't really know what to expect as this was my first shoot with models so a huge thanks to Bindii for organising them :bowdown:

Lani [not sure of spelling] Kat and Sherry were easy to work with ... can't have been easy for them trying to look in several lenses at once but they put up with us without complaint and did a great job :up:
Big Red

Postby zafra52 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:37 pm

I certainly enjoyed the gathering and I echo Big Red
in thanking Bindii and our beautiful models. I am not
sure how are we going to show our photos without
breaking the website rules for I am sure we all got
lots of pics to share... Should each start a thread?
This would avoid overloading the threads?
E.g. Bris meet - 20-02-10 -Zafra52?
zafra52

Postby blacknstormy on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:42 pm

The biggest thank you to Sue, Kat, Sherry & Lani - what a fantastic afternoon !!!!
Was so good to catch up with old friends again, and meet some new ones, and put faces to dslr names I've known for ages :) I'm really useless at 'people' shots, but had a ball, and hopefully learnt something .. even if it was just 'close your eyes and open them on the count of three' trick :) !!!!
Sue - you did a brilliant job getting us 3 very lovely young ladies, who took beautiful photos and were a pleasure to work with - I owe you big time :)
I'm supposed to be getting dinner ready, but will post some of my shots later on tonight ...
Thanks again to everyone that came along - I had a ball :)
Hugs
Rel

blacknstormy

Postby Bob G on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:16 pm

Agree with the others - a well organised shoot due to Sue's efforts and great to catch up with other forum members.

Thanks Sue
Bob
Bob G

Postby Ladybird on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:54 pm

:agree: with all the above gratitude for Sue for organising the meet.

It was good to meet some people from the forum and learn about portraiture.

Also, I'm hoping that just dusting off the camera will help with some motivation to take more photos this year. But I can't get much worse than last year.... :roll:
Ladybird

Postby Bindii on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:21 pm

Lol.. thanks guys.. but seriously it wasn't a big deal to get everyone organised.. if people are keen I am happy to get some girls together in a few months for another shoot just let me know... :)

Thanks to everyone who turned up.. without all those smiling faces it would have just been another job.. :)
Bindii

Postby surenj on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Bindii wrote:it wasn't a big deal to get everyone organised

You are being too modest Sue! Great work. :cheers:
surenj

Postby fhphoto on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:04 pm

How did you guys go? Any pics to share?
fhphoto

Postby Bindii on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:49 pm

fhphoto wrote:How did you guys go? Any pics to share?

Yup.. loads of them.. in the critique section.. :)
Bindii

Postby the foto fanatic on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:48 pm

Seems like you had heaps of fun! I'm sorry I missed it.

I'm in Hobart - temperature a fair bit cooler than Brisbane. I'm about to go seal shooting tomorrow.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby aim54x on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:56 pm

the foto fanatic wrote:I'm in Hobart - temperature a fair bit cooler than Brisbane. I'm about to go seal shooting tomorrow.

Bruny Island trip?
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby biggerry on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:32 pm

surenj wrote:Wish we had this sort of informal opportunity in Sydney! Good luck guys and looking forward to seeing results.

I can't see why you couldn't arrange something like this.. It was easy to organise 3 models and make up etc done all for free..

I would be keen for this, although organising can be like herding stray cats sometimes, if you are keen Suren and we can get others on board this would be a great outing.... you can count on me to be there :up:

You are being too modest Sue! Great work

:agree:

Good work Bindii on the organising and its great to see the QLDer's active and keen!

I'm about to go seal shooting tomorrow.

I thought they outlawed that some years ago :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

have fun and i wanna see some seal pictures..preferrably alive
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:59 pm

aim54x wrote:
the foto fanatic wrote:I'm in Hobart - temperature a fair bit cooler than Brisbane. I'm about to go seal shooting tomorrow.

Bruny Island trip?

Exactly!

However, inclement weather force cancellation of the trip. Water too rough (for us, not the seals!)

Bummer!
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast