Surfers

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Surfers

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:47 pm

Well folk, Im coming up your way from the 1st until the 11th Sept. (This saturday) was wondering if anyone knew of some spots to take some photos? I mean I know the usual burleigh heads and Mt Tamborine, but I just think some of them have been so overshot and well I'd really like to get a great sunrise shot to get done up on an acrylic.

Will be staying in the Q1, so I intend to try get some city scape shots from there but yeah not the most confident landscape photographer but would really like to try it out. My daughter really wants to join me too, so any ideas/locations kinda need to be child friendly and safe too. Sunrises are probably going to be best to try get and sunsets due to the days being taken up at the theme parks with the kids (and bigger kid dad). Thinking of just bringing up my Nikon d700 and 17-35mm Nikon f2.8 and my Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. Figured that they'd do the job rather then bringing up all my kit and caboodle! Plus my tripod obviously. ;-)

I hear the weather is meant to be good to during the stay so that makes me very happy! will be nice to defrost from this years victorian winter!!

ANyways thanks for looking and hope to hear from ya gold coastarians!!

kristen
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Re: Surfers

Postby Geoff M on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi Kristen

The beaches on the Gold Coast do nothing for me, just flat boring sand! Burleigh Heads ( which you mentioned) is the nearest beach to Surfers that holds any interest with the boulders and a slightly more rugged coastline. Further south is Currumbin which may be worth a look if you have transport to get you there.

Sunsets, I don't think you will get much on the coast with all the high rise buildings but then maybe you can shoot something from the top of Q1? (have not been there myself, did I mention I hate the Gold Coast with a passion). Again you have mentioned Mt Tamborine, and some good sunsets can be captured from the summit if you get a good day without too much haze. Good views can be had looking west towards Mt Warning etc. I live on Mt Tamborine and if you want, I would be happy to meet up (timing / commitments permitting) and take you to some of the lookouts. There are also waterfalls within national parks, although they are not stunning waterfalls especially as the volume of water is currently low, we have not seen rain in about 5 weeks!, but worth a look as getting to them is very easy.

I have plans for Saturday 8th Sep as I am going to the Beaudesert Show (have some entries in the photography section) and going with a few members of the local photography club (which I run).

Other hinterland places worthy of visiting are Lamington National Park (O'Reillys) and Binna Burra, small picturesque towns on the way to either of these places including Beechmont and Canungra also worth a look.
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby bigsarg7 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks Geoff.

Would love to try arrange to catch up. Not sure what days are what at the moment. So once I can get it sorted I will jump on and see if your free. Would be nice to do something other then theme parks!! :-) Might leave the kids with my mother in law and get the hubby away for some child free time!!
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Postby Geoff M on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:40 pm

bigsarg7 wrote:Thanks Geoff.

Would love to try arrange to catch up.

Will PM my mobile # :D
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast