SB800 Meet

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Which day would you prefer for an SB800 minimeet?

Saturday 9th July
56%
Sunday 10th July
44%

Total votes : 9

SB800 Meet

Postby SteveGriffin on Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:21 pm

I am going to stick my neck out and suggest a mini-meet - focusing on SB800 for Saturday 9th or Sunday 10th July Afternoon session.

Any takers and please advise your preferred day and any suggestions for a location / venue
Steve
-------------------------------------------------------
So many things to do - so little time.
SteveGriffin

Postby big pix on Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:27 pm

I am interested.......... but could we add flash photography in general but with a focus on the SB800 and SB600, all we need is a venue, so do any of the members in Brisbane belong to any clubs with a room we could use or hire at a low cost, of hire a small school hall or church hall and split the cost.

cheers
bp
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:19 pm

big pix wrote:I am interested.......... but could we add flash photography in general but with a focus on the SB800 and SB600, all we need is a venue, so do any of the members in Brisbane belong to any clubs with a room we could use or hire at a low cost, of hire a small school hall or church hall and split the cost.

cheers
bp

Come to Sydney and I'll provide my backyard + the flat in the back. :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Manta on Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:24 pm

Thanks for getting the ball rolling Steve. I've been very keen to get into this but that weekend is a real shocker for me. That being said, I may be able to squeeze something in on the Saturday afternoon but I couldn't stay long. Daughter 1 has the Redland Dance Eisteddfod all that weekend while Daughter 2 has the Delta Challenge Gymnastics comp on the Sunday afternoon, meaning Dad (who is, thankfully, hopeless at makeup and costume) will be doing the Gym run while Mum looks after the prima ballerina.

Hate to be a party pooper but do any other weekends suit you? My only other commitment is Saturday July 2 in the afternoon - apart from that and the 8th/9th/10th, I'm right 'til late August.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby SteveGriffin on Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:06 pm

How does the Saturday 16th sound to you Bigpix and everyone else for that matter??
Steve
SteveGriffin

Postby Oneputt on Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:35 pm

I move home on the 16th but am dead keen on this get together.
Oneputt

Postby Manta on Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:17 pm

16th is fine for me.
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
Manta

Postby big pix on Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:58 pm

Sorry guys.......... but I will be painting a house........ in the UK, as number one son has called for some help and I will be gone for around 6 weeks from mid July......
But as he has broadband at home I will be still able to get on line and if I get out, post the odd pix.........back in the first week of September......

cheers
bp
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
big pix

Postby xerubus on Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:16 pm

big pix wrote:Sorry guys.......... but I will be painting a house........ in the UK, as number one son has called for some help and I will be gone for around 6 weeks from mid July......
But as he has broadband at home I will be still able to get on line and if I get out, post the odd pix.........back in the first week of September......

cheers
bp

hope you have a great trip.... look forward to some shots...
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby Luke Smith on Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:45 pm

having just got my SB800 (and D70s for that matter) I'm very keen. Does anyone have the extra gel kit?

Cheers,

Luke
Luke Smith

Postby big pix on Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:41 pm

Luke........ welcome to the forum.........

cheers
bp
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby lkgrainger on Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:53 am

I would be interested, I only have the sb600 for now and am keen to know more about them both.
lkgrainger

Postby Hendrix on Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:41 am

Sounds good, as an old bugger I need all the help I can get :lol:

Either day be good
"Don't you worry about that"

Hendrix
Hendrix

Postby SteveGriffin on Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:49 pm

Very few seem to be willing to commit to a date but Sat 9th is narrowly ahead at this stage.

Do any of you have specific areas of operation that you are particularly interested in covering. ie.

Multi flash - master/remote
Off camera / D70 Commander mode
Exposure compensation
Operating modes
Studio setups
Steve
SteveGriffin

Postby big pix on Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:34 pm

Steve I am in for the 9th......but do we have a venue.......I can show how to light a portrait, bounce flash, bounce with direct fill, product shots, all using 2 flashes and a reflector, also one flash and 2 reflectors, but we will need to start with some basic instruction on understanding F stops camera shutter speed, ISO, this can be done with question and answers, along with some practical use of the flash and camera. It is all very easy and you do not need to spend lots on expensive reflectors, just a sheet of white card, on the other side alfoil

cheers
bp
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby xerubus on Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:31 pm

I will not be attending due to other commitments... happy learning to those that make it..
xerubus

Postby big pix on Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:17 pm

xerubus wrote:I will not be attending due to other commitments... happy learning to those that make it..

Mark your studio work is good ......... we will have to have an advance session when I get back......

cheers
bp
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby xerubus on Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:20 pm

big pix wrote:
xerubus wrote:I will not be attending due to other commitments... happy learning to those that make it..

Mark your studio work is good ......... we will have to have an advance session when I get back......

cheers
bp

that would be great... and thankyou...

cheers
xerubus

Postby Luke Smith on Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:21 am

Game on? Where? When? What? Who?
Luke Smith

Postby Oneputt on Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:00 am

Has this meet died?

If so I would like to revive it at a later date as I am still very interested, and would be happy to offer my pace as a venue.
Oneputt

Postby big pix on Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:18 am

Oneputt wrote:Has this meet died?

If so I would like to revive it at a later date as I am still very interested, and would be happy to offer my pace as a venue.

Can we get a group booking at a motel and stay the weekend.........
I will be back mid September so anytime after that.......

cheers
bp
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby Oneputt on Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:11 am

We certainly could, if we get the numbers. Anyone else?
Oneputt

Postby Luke Smith on Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:03 am

Certainly... I'm not sure about booking a motel seeming I'm not that financial and I live in Brisbane. The other option is linking up with Brisbane Camera Group and using their room (at Kelvin Grove SS) to mess about, which will almost certainly be a lot cheaper. They can also get models and such if required.

L.
Luke Smith

Postby big pix on Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:37 pm

As no time or venue for tomorrow has been posted I will not be driving up to Brisbane.
We should make a commitment for around the end of September, Oneputt has made a generous offer and a date should be set and if a commitment is made turn up. I will make a weekend around the date set, as it is a fair distance to drive for myself.
It can be a Mini Meet of the Brisbane group, where I can set up small table top studio style shots, Head shots showing different lighting, also Photoshop tips, or just answer the many questions from anyone new to Photography and Photoshop. Do a workshop on the sb800 and sb600, we all can learn from this.

So lets make a commitment
Someone post some dates so we can get this started..........
Or make it a family weekend, one day workshop, oneday play.......
Or 2 day workshop.........
Lets get a plan together.........I can set a proper program but only if we have the numbers and I have the much loved equiptment for the above, except sb800 and sb600 flash units

Cheers
...bp
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby SteveGriffin on Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:49 pm

Sorry chaps I dropped the ball on this one big time :oops:

Like the idea of the BCG room. Does anyone know who to contact??
Steve
SteveGriffin

Postby Manta on Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:07 pm

Thanks for the input Luke but I'm not sure you want to actually involve the BCG. If we did it through them, we'd end up with a stack of people there and everyone fighting over models. Different brands of equipment, different flash set-ups and a lot of confusion. If we keep it amongst the D70 fraternity we don't have all those dramas. Oh, I'm a member of BCG too.

I can see the obvious benefits in having something better to look at than my forum colleagues :wink: but I think the model thing is a little more than what we are trying to achieve with this particular mini-meet concept.

Just my thoughts on the matter. :)
Simon
Manta

Postby lkgrainger on Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:27 pm

BUGGER.....
Oh well, count me in for the next one I will bring the SB600 for people to play with (cause thats all I got.. :lol: )
lkgrainger

Postby Luke Smith on Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:14 am

I understand where you are coming from Manta... We would need to keep it strictly on-track- Purely for people who own (or have been thinking about buying) the SB800 or SB600. There’s lots of people there with D70s from what I can tell who would probably be interested.

Indeed, I'm not sure we need a real model... just someone or something who doesn’t mind standing still for an hour or three and a room.

There does seem to be an anti-equipment ethic about the BCG, keeping it all very much about the photos rather than the equipment. I've suggested to John Lomas that we have a sort of informal show-and-tell night were people can bring along their gear and hopefully meet others who have the same stuff to talk to and help people who are interested in buying. I know I would have preferred to have spoken to someone who actually owned a D70 before I bought one, rather than pushy sales people. I guess we will see if it quite comes out how I envisioned.

I noticed your avatar as an image at the last digital meeting… I really should get myself organised and put some stuff in.

L.
Luke Smith

Postby Manta on Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:49 am

Luke Smith wrote:I understand where you are coming from Manta... We would need to keep it strictly on-track- Purely for people who own (or have been thinking about buying) the SB800 or SB600. There’s lots of people there with D70s from what I can tell who would probably be interested.

I think you're right there Luke and some of them are forum members too, though they're not very active. I still think, however, that we could all benefit from a proper mini-meet style of session including, maybe, some instruction on sensor cleaning, as my dust bunnies are starting to compose their own shots and they're beating me in competitions :shock: .

Luke Smith wrote:Indeed, I'm not sure we need a real model... just someone or something who doesn’t mind standing still for an hour or three

I work with several people who would fit that criteria perfectly... :wink:

Luke Smith wrote:There does seem to be an anti-equipment ethic about the BCG, keeping it all very much about the photos rather than the equipment. I've suggested to John Lomas that we have a sort of informal show-and-tell night were people can bring along their gear and hopefully meet others who have the same stuff to talk to and help people who are interested in buying. I know I would have preferred to have spoken to someone who actually owned a D70 before I bought one, rather than pushy sales people. I guess we will see if it quite comes out how I envisioned.

I reckon we could get something organised.

Luke Smith wrote:I noticed your avatar as an image at the last digital meeting… I really should get myself organised and put some stuff in.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work. Hopefully I'll catch up with you at a meeting and we can have a chat. As John Lomas knows both of us he'll be able to point us out to each other!
Simon
Manta

sb600

Postby nikonman on Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:07 pm

hi Luke and simon
count me in on this one i have an sb600 if only i knew how to use the damn thing.
Martyn(nikonman)
SeaRay Photographics
nikonman

Postby Atorie on Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:09 pm

I'll be up for whatever meet, I have an SB600 with an SB800 on order.. I think we've got quite a few new members who'd be up for a general mini meet just to ay hello to the local D70users and compare equipment, ideas and tips... I guess there's not to many motorsport fans here as there's only two yes' to the QLD300 meet.
Michael
~~~~~
Atorie

sb800 meet

Postby Troppo on Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:05 pm

I've just joined this site and this forum. i'm very keen to do this meet when possible and i can probably organise a place to meet if required.

Areas interested in learning? mainly studio work
Troppo
Troppo

Postby gecko on Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:41 pm

I'm keen to be involved and I fully support the idea of mini-meets of any type, but unfortunately have not been able to commit to anthing of late due to heavy workloads (whinge).

Lets keep the ideas/dates bubbling along and see what comes up....

Flash use/CCD cleaning/Photoshop tutorial/Lens lust session would all be valuable for me.

Cheers
Gecko
gecko

Postby Atorie on Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:01 am

Well I can offer Photoshop and general post production tutorials as I work with the software daily as a graphic designer and background in image retouching for pro photogs/studios.. and have been using PS since v2.5.1 (1993)... I also have a data projector, which is need of a new bulb :( but once bought ($500! *ouch*) I can bring along so we can all see easyily instead of trying to huddle round a screen.
Michael
~~~~~
Atorie

Postby Manta on Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:54 pm

Atorie wrote:... I guess there's not to many motorsport fans here as there's only two yes' to the QLD300 meet.

Definitely a motorsport fan Atorie but V8s and drag cars just don't do it for me. When we get a round of the World Rally Championship or host a Formula 1 Grand Prix then you'll see me putting my hand up!
I was at the Australian GP in 2003 but haven't been able to justify a trip to Perth for Rally Australia yet. One of these days...
Simon
Manta

Postby Manta on Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:56 pm

gecko wrote:Flash use/CCD cleaning/Photoshop tutorial/Lens lust session would all be valuable for me.

Yep/Yep/Yep/Yep.
Simon
Manta

Postby big pix on Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:02 am

We could have regular meets .......... but all that is needed is a venue....... ideas on a venue would be good
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:19 am

big pix wrote:We could have regular meets .......... but all that is needed is a venue....... ideas on a venue would be good

Can I help? :roll:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Atorie on Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:45 pm

Can I help?

Birddog I think we'll let you :P

Ofcourse you *cough* and ur D2X *cough* are always invited to whatever meet we have, someone has to tease us with a 200-400 VR!
Michael
~~~~~
Atorie

Postby big pix on Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:02 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
big pix wrote:We could have regular meets .......... but all that is needed is a venue....... ideas on a venue would be good

Yes you can........ what do you have in mind...... any sort of help would be good
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Postby birddog114 on Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:17 pm

big pix wrote:
Birddog114 wrote:

Yes you can........ what do you have in mind...... any sort of help would be good

I'll ship up to you guys a litre of pure methanol, a bag of Pec*pad and some tools to help the Northern D70Users community in CCD cleaning.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Manta on Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:46 pm

Outstanding! That would be terrific Birdy.
Excellent timing too: I'm about to throw a saddle on my biggest dust bunny and ride him around the house. :shock:
Simon
Manta

Postby birddog114 on Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:49 pm

Manta wrote:Outstanding! That would be terrific Birdy.
Excellent timing too: I'm about to throw a saddle on my biggest dust bunny and ride him around the house. :shock:

So can I ship them to you next week?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Manta on Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:02 pm

That'd be fine with me, Birdy, as long as the local fraternity doesn't mind me babysitting them until we get our Meet organised.
Simon
Manta

Postby birddog114 on Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:04 pm

Manta wrote:That'd be fine with me, Birdy, as long as the local fraternity doesn't mind me babysitting them until we get our Meet organised.

I'll do it on Monday and ship them to you by Courier. :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Manta on Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:21 pm

Thanks Birdy. I'm sure I speak for all of us Banana Benders in expressing our gratitude for your generosity.
:) :) :)
Simon
Manta

Postby birddog114 on Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:24 pm

Manta wrote:Thanks Birdy. I'm sure I speak for all of us Banana Benders in expressing our gratitude for your generosity.
:) :) :)

No problems! Wish all you guys stay closed to my base.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Manta on Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:30 pm

We wish we were closer too Birdy but our Bank Managers are probably pleased there's a bit of distance between us! :wink:

Ah...the lust... the lust.... :twisted:
Simon
Manta

Postby SteveGriffin on Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:14 pm

OK here we go.

The commander has given approval for a Mini-meet at Rochedale Manor to play with SB-800/600 / studio lighting in particular but also dust bunny removal and any other D70 related interests that pop up.

Sunday 24th 1PM till whenever (not to much after sun down). Sorry about the short notice but I expect that we will be able to have followup sesions if there is interest

PM me for the address.

I plan to have a model in attendance (niece) and am hoping to secure the services of a recently retired photography lecturer who might be able to give some tips on the finer points of studio work. He does have a bent towards film but seriously knows his stuff.

Steve
Steve
SteveGriffin

Postby big pix on Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:45 am

Steve ....... I will not be able to attend, sorry as I will still be away.....
Cheers ....bp....
big pix

Next

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast