Has anybody ever dealt with dragonimage?

Items of local interest for those in Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, plus those lost souls on the NSW North Coast.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Has anybody ever dealt with dragonimage?

Postby Cyrus on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:25 pm

I was just wondering if anybody here has ever had any dealings with http://www.dragonimage.com.au either by purchasing any of their products or by hiring/using their studios?

I am hoping to hire one of their studios very soon but thought I'd ask the question here first.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Cyrus
It is more important to click with people than to click the shutter.
Alfred Eisenstaedt - father of photojournalism
Cyrus

Postby Glen on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:32 pm

I have bought product from them and are nice people. Are you talking about Melbourne, Brisbane or Sydney, you don't have your location in your profile?
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:33 pm

Be careful and watch out the guy named "Dominic"
Met and dealt with him before, not a big one but only once and never again, bye, bye, bye!!!!!!
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Cyrus on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:53 pm

I was mainly referring to the Brisbane studio/office as that's where I'm from.

I'd love to hear a little more about your dealings with Dominic Birddog.... they have numerous testimonials on their website paying tribute to Dominic :?

Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby birddog114 on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:56 pm

Cyrus wrote:I was mainly referring to the Brisbane studio/office as that's where I'm from.

I'd love to hear a little more about your dealings with Dominic Birddog.... they have numerous testimonials on their website paying tribute to Dominic :?

Cyrus

Not with me and some of my colleagues.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Onyx on Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:26 am

LOL Dominic, he's a riot... the owner of Dragonimage IIRC.

To summarise, he's not a man of his word. He has a knack for abusing business relationships. <- I would swear to be factually correct in a court of law.
Onyx

Postby Cyrus on Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:37 am

Haha thanks again for your input here's the testimonials that I was referring to http://dragonimage.com.au/testimonials.html

To Clarify, are you saying that I should AVOID conducting business with them or just be careful?

Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby birddog114 on Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:58 am

Cyrus,
All well said above, finally is your judgement!!!!!!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby elffinarts on Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:19 pm

Has anyone used the Brisbane store yet? I'm curious as to the pricing of their home studio lighting kit and if the special on their site is available up here now.
Mark Greenmantle
http://www.elffinarts.com / mark at elffinarts dot com
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Postby Geoff on Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:05 pm

Cyrus wrote:Haha thanks again for your input here's the testimonials that I was referring to http://dragonimage.com.au/testimonials.html

To Clarify, are you saying that I should AVOID conducting business with them or just be careful?

Cyrus

Cryus - Firstly welcome to the forum. With all due respect however, I don't think they are going to right this Dominic guy off in their promotional website tesimonials :). I can only say that having known our patron Birddog for over a year now, it would take a lot for him to say what he's said about the guy. Anyway, you be the judge and good luck, let us know how u get on! :)
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Cyrus on Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:49 am

Geoff wrote:[With all due respect however, I don't think they are going to right this Dominic guy off in their promotional website tesimonials :).

Geoff,

yeah mate I hear what you're saying, in fact that's what I really meant by posting the link to their tutorials. Unfortunately I am yet to develope a friendship with most of the people on this board (especially the influential ones like Birddog). I take advice whenever I can get it and from whoever I can get it ot. If I don't ask I'll never know :wink: Even not really knowing many people here I got a real feel for Birddogs posts and his positive and nurturing nature, for that reason I'm reluctant to send any of my hard earned $$$ the way of dragonimage.

Now I just have to work out whether I think Brisbane is worth the effort considering the comments relating to the Southern studios of dragonimage. I really need a studio with imagedragons specs and so far I haven't been able to find any others in Brisbane with cycloramas. :cry:

Cyrus
Cyrus

dragon image brisbane

Postby vrboy on Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:37 am

Hi all,
First of all I think people should base character of a person on their own individual experience and interaction with people not of others opinions, I have seen great people mistreated before simply from heresay and rumors. Don't get me wrong I am not defending whoever was being talked about before as I don't know them, I just believe we are all human and therefore are not perfect and have different relationship dynamics dependant on personalities etc.
Secondly I went to the Dragon Image studios today to have a look and the guy there (I cant remember his name} was very helpful and more than curtious with the time he spent showing me around. I encourage you to have a look and decide for yourself.
Kind Regards
C.
vrboy

Re: dragon image brisbane

Postby birddog114 on Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:02 am

vrboy wrote: Secondly I went to the Dragon Image studios today to have a look and the guy there (I cant remember his name} was very helpful and more than curtious with the time he spent showing me around. I encourage you to have a look and decide for yourself.
Kind Regards
C.

May be the first bait for the big fish :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Cyrus on Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:29 am

That's quite a coincidence, I was planning to go there and check out the studios yesterday morning, I ran out of time in the end unfortunately. I still plan to go there and see for myself, do you recall the name of the staff member that you dealt with?

Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby elffinarts on Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:31 pm

Cyrus wrote:
Geoff wrote:[With all due respect however, I don't think they are going to right this Dominic guy off in their promotional website tesimonials :).

Geoff,

yeah mate I hear what you're saying, in fact that's what I really meant by posting the link to their tutorials. Unfortunately I am yet to develope a friendship with most of the people on this board (especially the influential ones like Birddog). I take advice whenever I can get it and from whoever I can get it ot. If I don't ask I'll never know :wink: Even not really knowing many people here I got a real feel for Birddogs posts and his positive and nurturing nature, for that reason I'm reluctant to send any of my hard earned $$$ the way of dragonimage.

Now I just have to work out whether I think Brisbane is worth the effort considering the comments relating to the Southern studios of dragonimage. I really need a studio with imagedragons specs and so far I haven't been able to find any others in Brisbane with cycloramas. :cry:

Cyrus

Hi Cyrus,
I've just emailed StaginDimensions across the road from here at the Courier-Mail in Bowen Hills after seeing a google listing where they had supplied one to a show. I hope to have an answer to your needs by Friday.

cheers
Mark
Mark Greenmantle
D70, 50mm/F1.8, kit lens, 80-200mm/F2.8, 35-70mm/f2.8, two 160w/sec slave strobes, sb600, "taller than me" astronomical tripod "can I have that step ladder please"
elffinarts

Postby Cyrus on Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:29 am

Thanks very much mate, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby Cyrus on Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:23 pm

For what it's worth-

I went to Dragonimage in Spring Hill, Brisbane today. The sales person (forgot his name already, woops) was an absolute gentleman in every way. Nothing was too much trouble, in fact he allowed me to walk through to the rear of the studio and check out the cycloramas and protrait studio.

I bombarded this poor gent with sooo many questions (probably quite silly ones but I'd rather not pretend to know things I don't) and on all ocassions I received a calculated and thorough answer. It became clear very early on that none of these answers were manufactured to promote sales from me, most of the time I was given information that would save me money to achieve what I want.

A great deal of time was taken to show me various lighting equipment, softboxes flashes etc and all the while the poor guy had to answer the constantly ringing phone and attending to other customers.

With the utmost respect to Birddog and his opinion/comment about dragonimage, I submit that possibly any issues with Dragonimage might only relate to the stores in Sydney or Melbourne where Dominic frequents. I am planning to hire some lighting from dragonimage with the view of purchasing lighting and other equipment from them at a later date.

I just felt obligated to post my dealings given that I was the one who originally asked the question about dragonimage. I will certainly keep everybody apprasied of my dealings with them in future.

Regards
Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby elffinarts on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:46 am

Cyrus thanks for heading in and checking the place out. did their setup look the same as the shots of the studio in Sydney? If so, the new Courier-Mail colour magazine pictorial editor may be making use of their services when our own studio is either too small or double booked.

I have to say, some of their prices for sales and hire look appealing. I'll be heading in there as soon as I have my tempermental car serviced again.

I'm dying to get my hands on a bowens kit with a softbox or two and a decent backdrop.
Mark Greenmantle
elffinarts

Postby Cyrus on Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:25 pm

elffinarts wrote:Cyrus thanks for heading in and checking the place out. did their setup look the same as the shots of the studio in Sydney? If so, the new Courier-Mail colour magazine pictorial editor may be making use of their services when our own studio is either too small or double booked.

I have to say, some of their prices for sales and hire look appealing. I'll be heading in there as soon as I have my tempermental car serviced again.

I'm dying to get my hands on a bowens kit with a softbox or two and a decent backdrop.

No worries mate, Their setep looked almost exactly the same as the website shots of the southern studio. They have two large (what I would describe as commercial styled) cycloramas which are both accessible from the rear roller door in Exhibition street and the equipment in these cycs was quite impressive as far as I was concerned.

I was almost going to ask if they would consider making a group discount for the dslrforum.com users to come in there and make use of the cyc. The sales person did mention that they intend to run some short course in the not too distant future but the pricess might run into the thousands from what I understood. If some of our members knew a bit about studio lighting and set ups it might prove to be quite a cost efficient and fun meeting place for the Brisbane users.

I didn't see any Bowen gear there but then I wasn't looking for that particular brand at the time. I did check out the Hyundai Photonics digital and analogue lighting systems, and the prices were extremely competitive in comparison to Bowen and you get the three year guarantee too - I think!

Let me know how you go when you check it out mate.

Cheers
Cyrus
Cyrus

Postby elffinarts on Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:04 pm

well bugger me, look who just added me to their friends list on Model Mayhem :D
http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=65135
Professional Photographer moved to Brisbane March 2005
Currently Studio and Sales Manager of new Photographic Sales, Studio and Hire Business DRAGON IMAGE in Bowen Hills
Shevaun Lee Steffens 0419363057

She was recently awarded 2 Silvers at the 2005 Australian Institute of Photography Awards (AIPP)

Funny how small Brisvegas is at times. She has some interesting work, I like her wedding work quite a lot. I'm planning on going in to check out the studio soon.
Mark Greenmantle
elffinarts

Re: Has anybody ever dealt with dragonimage?

Postby nurgle on Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:44 pm

I have had dealings with "Dominic" also and like birddog would never again deal with that firm...

I have also found Rod from their Brisbane office, overbearing, over opinionated and considers himself better than anyone else.. telling everyone "You dont know what you are Talking about.." at the drop of a hat, when I have been in business for 30 years... and constantly putting the AIPP down with derogatory and insulting remarks about its members and organization... Very unprofessional to air his grievance to the public...

Mind you Rod is running a good business for himself from that company... selling his very expensive Grey cards, and trying to talk everyone into attending his lectures... nice job when you can get it both ways...

It was also embarrassing to see the salesman have to go though five flash trigger units to find one that would actually work when I wanted to see it tested... Shoddy chinese goods.. nuf said...

I prefer Kayell and Photo Continental any day...

Nurgle
nurgle

Re: Has anybody ever dealt with dragonimage?

Postby ChrisB on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:59 am

I've dealt with Dragon Image in Brissy and found Rod to be very helpful and friendly and would happily buy from there again.

"Hello, I see the assassins have failed"
ChrisB

Return to Brisbane/Gold Coast/SSC and NSW North Coast