Milky Way from Yulara

Got a thin skin? Then look elsewhere. Post a link to an image that you've made, and invite others to offer their critiques. Honesty is encouraged, but please be positive in your constructive criticism. Flaming and just plain nastiness will not be tolerated. Please note that this is not an area for you to showcase your images, nor is this a place for you to show-off where you have been. This is an area for you to post images so that you may share with us a technique that you have mastered, or are trying to master. Typically, no more than about four images should be posted in any one post or thread, and the maximum size of any side of any image should not exceed 950 px.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please note that image critiquing is a matter of give and take: if you post images for critique, and you then expect to receive criticism, then it is also reasonable, fair and appropriate that, in return, you post your critique of the images of other members here as a matter of courtesy. So please do offer your critique of the images of others; your opinion is important, and will help everyone here enjoy their visit to far greater extent.

Also please note that, unless you state something to the contrary, other members might attempt to repost your image with their own post processing applied. We see this as an acceptable form of critique, but should you prefer that others not modify your work, this is perfectly ok, and you should state this, either within your post, or within your signature.

Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 950 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and typically no more than four images per post or thread.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Milky Way from Yulara

Postby zafra52 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:27 pm

I took this picture last week. In reality it's a composed image of 22 individual pictures each taken for 20 seconds and one second apart of the night sky in Yulara, the resort complex that serves the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park. I was fortunate to have a night with no moon and this is the result which I hope you like it.

zafra52

Re: Milky Way from Yulara

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:12 am

I'm sorry, but you've been traveling?

How is that even possible? :nono: :nono: :nono:

I suspect that most of us here in NSW lockdown will be jealous. :cheers: :rotfl2:

There's no way that one can comment about the lighting here; nature is doing its best for you, and it shows.

Nice work
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby zafra52 on Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:52 pm

Thank you Gary. Yes, you are right I traveled to the Northern Territory two weeks ago. I wasn't sure it was going to happen with the border closing and flight cancellations; it was touch and go. Luckily for us,our illustrious Anna did not pick up a fight with Michael Gunner, being busy having a spat with Gladys Berejiklian so our main problem was Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin cancellations. There were eight or ten.

The year before last, four of us booked a trip to go to Europe and the south of Spain for spring last year. Well, it didn't happened so we had a year to use the credit we accumulated. Neither of us had gone to see Uluru, Kata Tjuta or King Canyon so this small tour was offered to us to spend our accumulated credit with our tour operator and, we took it. It was fantastic! So there you have it, we spent in four days in the red center of Australia (Northern Territory) what we would had spent in 12 days of hotels, monuments, meals and traveling in Andalusia. But, it was worth it!

I look forward to the day we can get over this border closures and are free to travel freely around Australia, at least.
zafra52

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:36 am

Mazel tov.

zafra52 wrote:we spent in four days in the red center of Australia (Northern Territory) what we would had spent in 12 days of hotels, monuments, meals and traveling in Andalusia.

And people wonder why many of us choose to travel OS rather than tour locally. :bowdown: I find that the costs of local travel can be very expensive, especially when you consider that, for instance, hotel costs in Sydney can rival those of London and NYC. Like, really? ATM, we can't even visit grandchildren just 15k away in another part of Sydney, let alone leave the state, let alone get out of the bloody country. :| It's nigh on two years since our last trip, and I'm not expecting to travel OS for at least another year, although I'm hopeful but not confident that my Seattle based son may visit us within that timeframe.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby zafra52 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:25 pm

I'm hopeful but not confident that my Seattle based son may visit us within that timeframe

Let's hope so. Australia cannot survive being quarantined for much longer.
zafra52

Postby ozimax on Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:21 pm

Great photo Zaffs. Must have been spectacular. Spent a week in Katherine in early June when travel was possible from Coffs.

As for lockdowns, they better end soon or something will give. People can only take them for so long. We are incredibly blessed that all our grandkids live in Coffs and we see them regularly, even if we have to walk on the beach with and "exercise". Eldest daughter lives in Sydney and we haven’t seen her in ages. Here’s hoping.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby zafra52 on Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:59 pm

Thank you Ozi. What you see with the naked eye is lots of stars and a long milky stain like a very pale cloud; even so it's magnificent. I have never seen so many stars in my life and possibly I will never will. If you were able to keep your eyes open for longer that 20 seconds and be perfectly still (not even a heart beat) like a camera on a tripod, you might be able to see something similar. Remember, that picture above is the result of 22 pictures stacked each with an ISO of 3200, f2.8 and 20 second aperture. This picture is a perfect example of what the camera can see and the human eye can not. Besides, it is quite possible that some stars are repeated in the image because in the process of taking the 22 photos the stars moved position and the stack software might have considered them as different stars.

I agree with you. Once most people are vaccinated they will have to invent new excuses to keep borders closed, but they won't. There are only so much people and business can put up with. Just think how sweet it will be to finally hold your daughter in your arms. You have something to look forward to. Thanks to Facetime or WhatApp!

Now, I read this morning and also came on the ABC news that an American pharma has come out with an antiviral pill to fight the flue and it is very effective against covid-19 sick people. They gave the pill to 775 people sick with Covid-19 within the first five days of showing the symptoms . All those that received the pill had milder symptoms and no one died; but, of those taking the placebo pill 8 people died. Dr Fauci said it is a promising drug to treat people and if the data collected can be verified it should be fast track for approval. I appears the US government has already ordered a few million doses, if it gets approved by the drug administration.
https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coronavirus/2021/10/02/merck-pill-treats-covid/
zafra52

Return to Image Reviews and Critiques