Mini meet on the 8 January

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:54 pm

W00DY wrote:
gstark wrote:For the after shoot feed, might I suggest Leichhardt?

Good food, out of the city parking hassles, good food, should be relatively easy to get to, and did I mention that there's good food there too?

VERY, VERY good sugestion...

One of my favourite restaurants is in Leichardt, however I can never remember the name of it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please remember, It's Saturday evening, and Leichhardt Hmmmmmmmm! Parking: How many car are going to bring?
you're not going to walk in any GOOD restaurant without pre-reservation at Leichardt, I knew that area very well and we've been dined there for many years + where're you going to store your gears while dine? in the car at the car park? not me, take them along with you, not me neither!
Hey, a 200-400VR, 70-200VR, 80-400VR, ballheads (3), Gitzo Tripod, monopod (3), camera bodies (3), small lenses minimum of 6, guess what?people are thinking: we robbed somewhere and try to sell them on the walkway at Leichardt :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby phillipb on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:29 pm

I'm not going to the evening workshop so it doesn't affect me, but a good compromise for italian food and safety of gear is to go back to birddogs and order pizza delivery, stop over at the local for a nice red. At the end leave your gear in the house and sleep in the car. :lol:

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:34 pm

If you guy prefer Italian foods, I can reserve a table for 10 at my famous Italian Restaurant in Belfield named: Macinis, heap of car park, very well and modern look, 3 min. drive from my base, drop off my gears and enjoy dinner with good RED :D How's that sound?
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby W00DY on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:42 pm

Birddog114 wrote:If you guy prefer Italian foods, I can reserve a table for 10 at my famous Italian Restaurant in Belfield named: Macinis, heap of car park, very well and modern look, 3 min. drive from my base, drop off my gears and enjoy dinner with good RED :D How's that sound?

I guess it all depends on where we end up taking photos for the afternoon.

For me this would mean driving from Baulkham Hills to Belmore - Belmore to Blues Point - Blues Point to Belmore - Belmore to Baulkham Hills (I havn't forgotten you Onyx, just including you in the Baulkham Hills stop). That's a lot of driving!

As mentioned though I am happy to participate with the masses :)

Just looking forward to a great day with all.

W00DY
Andrew
Nikon D3 and lot's of Nikon stuff!!
W00DY

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:02 pm

That what I wondered from the beginning and my questions was: we have members come in all over the places and at the end of the workshops, everyone has gears with them, we can't leave our gears in the car nor bring them along with us in the restaurant.
So we have to end up somewhere as Burger King or Mc Donald! Not nice though.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby stubbsy on Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:25 pm

Guys

I make 18 people attending at some time in the morning. Apologies if I've missed anyone:

phillipb, bago100, MCWB, stubbsy (me), birrdog, johndec, onyx, killakoala, happyfotographer, leek, ru32day, Geoff (?), Glen, sheepie, woody, louiek, skippy & Matt K (?)

Hope you've plenty of room birddog.

I'll bring some of my home made (by me) Christmas fruitcake for morning tea if that appeals.

So far as dining out (which I'm not since I didn't get in in time for shooting session in pm) why not return to base to leave your gear at someone's place, then dine, then return. Then you can eat without fear of theft etc. Maybe return to birddogs and do Italian?

Just my 2 cents

Cheers
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Onyx on Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:30 pm

We could order pizza, and have it delivered to Blues Point! ;) j/k

I see this will become quite an issue - what do we do after the shoot. Gear security and human feed.
Onyx

Postby birddog114 on Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:43 pm

There will be around up to 25 members will come on Saturday morning + their partner
Bagoo is in QLD.
I used to have up to 70 people partying in my base without any problems.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Glen on Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:44 pm

Birddog114 wrote:Yeah! I've just got back and have some questions:

Big concert at the Oprea house for Tsunami Victims In SEA. It'll be a big crowd!!!!!traffic and road blocked after 2:00PM.

1/ Parking spots will be hard as gold, car pool or BYO?
2/ Wandering around Blue Points with a group of men with backpack and cameras with long lens around their neck.
3/ Weatherman said rain and storm in the afternoon of the 8th Jan.
4/ What restaurant or where are we heading for a bite after workshop?
5/ How do we fund our dinner? Pay per meal ordered by each person or pay by group? and drinka as beer or RED? most restaurant, they don't split bill.

Your thoughts and comments

1/ Parking wont be too bad at Blues Point, we should get 8 cars within about 200 metres using the little park at the bottom and the road around to Sails

2/The cops don't go to Blues Point much, will get Matt K to sort out if they do :evil:

3/ If rain (it now says a chance, could go to Lavender Bay around corner or Luna Park) both have a little shelter. Or even under bridge.

4/I cant make the restuarant but ate at Macini with Poon and Birddy and it was fantastic, highly recommended

5/ Naturally split the food bill and pay for grog as we go! What are we all, accountants?

I could offer to take peoples gear home but will be leaving Aus within 36 hours of end of workshop so that idea is useless. Use the tunnel to exit Northside and no one will see the city traffic.
Glen

Postby gstark on Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:57 am

Birddog,

Birddog114 wrote:Gary,
In the earlier of this thread, few people suggested to split this workshop as two groups (correct me if I'm wrong) for two difference workshops, that what I thought one group will be at Blue Points and other could be on the other sides or other spots.

Thanx for clarifying this for me.

My advice is to steer well clear of the city; let's keep everything north of the bridge.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sheepie on Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:56 am

Glen wrote:...What are we all, accountants?

And your point is? hrmmmmm

Oh well, back to my Year-end :)

hehe
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby Matt. K on Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:57 am

There's no reason why 2 groups can't work at Blues Point. With a 180 degree view there's plenty of room for small groups to work out of sight of each other and there's enough interesting subjects, (static and moving), to keep evreyone working at improving their skills. And as an added incentive I will donate a copy of "THE PHOTOSHOP USER'S A-Z" every Photoshop term you're ever likely to need, see or use, ( hard cover) book as a prize to the member who gets the best, clearest indentification shot of a bridge-walker on Top of the Harbour Bridge. Shot must be taken from Blues Point, you may use a borrowed lens. (Hopefully Birddog will bring some of his treasures for you to have a go at). Tip...you'll need to think about the time of day and the lighting for a high quality shot.

And....Yes, I know it's not a 80-200 VR lens.....but it will help you become a PShop guru.

Winning pic will be chosen on technical merit only by Birddog & Gary and must be posted on the forum within 7 days from the meet. No correspondence will be entered etc etc etc.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:00 am

Matt.
It's great !!! ATM, I don't have any fixed number of people want to participate the workshop.
I have to wait until tomorrow.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby W00DY on Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:02 am

Am I confused?

Is the afternoon meet the "long lens meet" or is that another time?

I originally thought this was just a meet to go over shooting techniques etc... with any lens.

If it is a long lens meet then my 24 - 120 will look a little funny :lol:
Andrew
W00DY

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:05 am

W00DY wrote:Am I confused?

Is the afternoon meet the "long lens meet" or is that another time?

I originally thought this was just a meet to go over shooting techniques etc... with any lens.

If it is a long lens meet then my 24 - 120 will look a little funny :lol:

Yes, it's for long lens meet as at the beginning of the other thread and aimed for tomorrow.
What can you get from Blues Point to the climbing men and women on top of the Harbour Bridge with your 24-120VR?
You should come with more plastics and pick up one brand new 70-200VR to join. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby W00DY on Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:21 am

Ohhhh....

I will wait till tomorrow and try to work out what's going on :?
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Glen on Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:31 am

Matt, very generous, that will get the competitive spirit going.

Woody, I can lend you a 2x old teleconverter, manual everything :wink:

Sheepie, no disrespect intended, meant we wont be bright enough to divide a bill at the end! Plus alot more friendly to share everything :D
Glen

Postby Glen on Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:35 am

Woody, I will bring a 400mm for you to use, that will ensure you use good technique. (looks like a maglight) Will also bring the big russian for those who want to try it out.
Glen

Postby W00DY on Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:38 am

Glen wrote:Woody, I will bring a 400mm for you to use, that will ensure you use good technique. (looks like a maglight) Will also bring the big russian for those who want to try it out.

Glen, What no VR???? :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the offer I guess I can attend now :) Looking forward to using some long lenses & all with a freshly cleaned D70 :)

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Glen on Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:46 am

Woody, not only no VR but "all manual"! Will also bring a 70-210 AF so you can use that also, or more realistically share with the group, plus some teleconverters, so will be ok. Time to lust for more senior membership to the VR club :D

Matt, I assume no post processing on the image?
Glen

Postby Mj on Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:27 am

Ok... just managed to read through all that lot... so it sounds like we have the makings of some kinda plan.

If we stick to blues point etc we should avoid the worst of the crowds (would still expect quite a few bods around this time of year though).
If we plan on returning to the Birdie nest and find sustainance near there we solve the equipment storage and safety issues.
We just need to ensure we have the right ratio of people along with suitable gear and a plan for cover should we require it... gues we can cover that off in the morning.

For the morning meet we might need to bring along a few bits and pieces... Sheepie offered some coffee beans, and I can certainly bring along a filter machine and a bean grinder. Anything else we should sort out? Best to cover this stuff off as early as pos today.

Thoughts?

Michael.
Mj

Postby W00DY on Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:29 am

My wife is making us muffins for morning tea....

Look forward to having a freshly ground coffee :)
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Glen on Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:32 am

MJ, great idea filter machine and bean grinder (I was going to bring a bean counter to help with my lusts).
Glen

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:37 am

And the HMAS Manoora (Killakoala's ship) anchored nearby, so we can escape and evasion if needed :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Matt. K on Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:22 pm

Post-processing is allowed....but keep in mind the image should only be enhanced in such a way as to reveal the maximum amount of information about the bridge walker. Remember, the image will only be judged on its technical quality!

Also....just a few minutes up Blues Point Rd is the Blues Point Hotel. (I think that's what it's called). They do a good meal and have plenty of space to dump bags and tripods in a corner. Perhaps a good place to get food after the shoot?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Glen on Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:45 pm

Blues Point Hotel or another 300m up the road The Commodore, great meals (about $20 main) with a little car park underneath (not likely to get into that though, the car park that is)
Glen

Postby W00DY on Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:38 pm

Sounds good to me. I would personally prefer to eat around this area but am happy with whatever.
Andrew
W00DY

Postby W00DY on Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:21 pm

:lol: I just realised that every suggestion of food in this thread has sounded good to me :lol:

Do you think I like eating out :!: :!: :!:

W00DY
Andrew
W00DY

Postby Glen on Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:12 pm

Just went down to Blues Point, almost all of the barricading is down only real thing left is the temporary toilet blocks. All parking is now available in Henry Lawson Drive (the road around to Sails restuarant) and the car park at Blues Point. The useless Disco ball is very visible, I would remind all members to bring the kit lens as well as their big mamas as there will be a great symmetrical (also neat and in the middle) wide angle shot of the bridge available, with ball in middle.
Glen

Postby r2160 on Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:34 pm

So, do I understand that there are two meetings going on tomorrow.

One workshop from 8-1pm then whoever wants to go, on to blues point in the afternoon?

If so, where is the morning workshop? Address? I am keen to learn as much as I can about this brilliant little machine and meeting some of you would be great!

thanks all
Glenn
I finally got one!
D70, 18-70, 70-300, 24-120 VR, SB800
r2160

Postby Glen on Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:36 pm

R2160, the morning meet is at Birddog's place in Belmore. PM him for the address :)
Glen

Postby r2160 on Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:44 pm

Thanks Glen

Glenn
I finally got one!
D70, 18-70, 70-300, 24-120 VR, SB800
r2160

Postby skippy on Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:39 pm

Sorry guys, I'm going to have to bail on the meet. Damn shame, I was looking forward to meeting you, but something's come up I need to sort out. :cry:

Another meet in Feb?

<still more than a little pissed at mortgage providers>
Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
skippy

Previous

Return to Sydney