Shooting advice from the locals...

Items of local interest for those in Sydney

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Shooting advice from the locals...

Postby Ronza on Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:37 pm

I'm heading to Sydney next week just after the long weekend, yet to concrete dates but around the 4th to the 10th at a guess. Nothing serious, been to Sydney a few times, just spending some time with my sister there and relaxing over the school holidays.

I'm looking forward to spending a solid week behind the lens exploring Sydney and its photographic potential. Cliches aside, are there any great spots full of different mood that one can explore safely? I'll be staying at Maroubra, have access to the reaches of the Sydney Public Transport system (woo) and won't mind spending a day on the feet trying backstreets and just wandering. I guess I'm interested in street and to a lesser extent Candid photography; people living their daily lives in dingy, moody environments interest me along with colourful and interest arhcitecture.
http://dslrusers.com/viewtopic.php?t=21306

And to contrast that, I wouldn't mind giving a MP-E 65mm a workout too.

Any recommendations on spots/suburbs that are are interesting? So far I think I'm planning on heading to the Rocks and Surry Hills and perhaps the fishmarket and Chinatown. Are there any more specfic areas around the city or on a train trip?
Ronza

Postby firsty on Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:17 am

most of the shots in this slide show were taken around the back streets of newtown on the main west rail line
http://mcgoffs.net/?page_id=16
firsty

Postby Yi-P on Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:22 am

Buying a day-tripper ticket from CityRail ($15) can get you a day long all around Sydney area. A great value for public transport in terms of flexibility and range if you plan to wander around via train, bus or ferry.

An early stop-over in the city CBD, down Chinatown, Darling Harbour, up to Circular Quay, take a short ferry ride to Balmain or Watsons Bay, grab a short lunch break with the great views, and continue on towards the bay areas, catch another ferry ride along the Harbour and rivers, into one of the inland Islands for a few landscape pics. Back to Circular Quay or Milsons point stopover for a wonderful sunset of the so cliched Harbour, but do you really have to care about cliche? Night back for dinner on The Rocks or CBD, then a few more night time scenery if you still have the energy to move yourself around.

Well, thats one of the MANY choices you can take around Sydney.
Yi-P

Postby Ronza on Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:33 am

Yi-P wrote:Buying a day-tripper ticket from CityRail ($15) can get you a day long all around Sydney area. A great value for public transport in terms of flexibility and range if you plan to wander around via train, bus or ferry.

Just had a look at the Sydney Transport site, I was considering buying a Sydney Pass for the trip but having a look, the TravelPass for 7 days seems like the better option. $25ish for the concesssion, unlimited travel on anything, anytime right?

The area around Newtown seems interesting, I reckon I might spend a day around Newtown/Redfern/Surry Hills on foot - are those areas, during the day, safe enough to be taking camera equipment through or would locals recommend against it?
Ronza

Postby ozczecho on Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:56 am

Ronza, I have walked with all my gear through Surry Hills, Central, China Town and Newtown, and no probs...heaps of photo ops...and things to see. No area is 100% safe, but I never felt threatened...

Enjoy your stay...
ozczecho

Postby ABG on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:06 am

Ronza,

As Mike said, no area is 100% safe, but I've taken plenty of photos in the areas you've mentioned and never felt threatened.

Let us know when you're itinerary becomes a little firmer. Perhaps we can organise an impromptu mini-meet. The forum members here in Sydney are a freindly-ish bunch :wink:
Andrew
ABG

Postby Ronza on Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:04 am

Hehe doesn't sound like a bad idea, just booked the tickets and its the 3rd to the 10th :)
Ronza

Return to Sydney