Sandisk CF card question

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Sandisk CF card question

Postby timno1 on Mon May 19, 2008 6:04 pm

Is there any way of telling if a Sandisk memory card is a fake? I recently bought a Sandisk Extreme IV 4gb card off a seller on ebay,and it seems a bit tighter in my camera than my old 1gb card...it doesnt spring out when i hit the eject button.It has a serial number on the thin edge,so that part seems real,but i guess that wouldnt be too hard to fake.
Just wondering if anyone is there is a definite way of telling if a card isnt the real thing.
timno1

Re: Sandisk CF card question

Postby dm_td5 on Mon May 19, 2008 6:19 pm

I remember seeing a web page about eBay and SanDisk fake CF cards and how to tell them apart.

Found it! http://tinyurl.com/2docat
D.M. - D200
12°11'34"S 136°46'24"E or there abouts
dm_td5

Postby timno1 on Mon May 19, 2008 6:46 pm

dm_td5 wrote:I remember seeing a web page about eBay and SanDisk fake CF cards and how to tell them apart.

Found it! http://tinyurl.com/2docat

I just took a look at the link you suggested,thanks for that.It looks as though i may have a fake.Even if it is a fake,do you know if it still works as well as the real thing?
timno1

Postby Pehpsi on Mon May 19, 2008 9:01 pm

I recall reading that the fakes performed worse when put to the same test..
Nikon D70
12-24 DX, 18-70 DX, 70-200 VR

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

http://www.jamesrobertphotography.com
Pehpsi

Postby Glen on Mon May 19, 2008 10:36 pm

Most reports I have heard and seen said the same as Pehpsi. Why not test it against a real one transferring the same files. I would send it back, or is it one of those Ebay sellers where it is difficult to get your money back?
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby timno1 on Tue May 20, 2008 9:07 am

It is pretty obvious that the ebay seller that i bought it from is dodgy,because i went back to their id and it says that they are no longer a registered user on ebay.I only paid $35 for the card so i guess it wasnt any great loss.....and its the old saying "buyer beware".
timno1

Postby Glen on Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 am

That would definitely be a fake at that price :D Cheap card though. If you paid by paypal why don't you get them to honour the supposed buyer protection they offer?
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Postby Pehpsi on Tue May 20, 2008 2:05 pm

Wowsers, I didn't even realise that I've been using a fake Ultra II 2GB for ages! Got it from ebay a while ago... Luckily, my Extreme IV 4GB is the real deal..

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1029509288
Nikon D70

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

Pehpsi

Postby timno1 on Tue May 20, 2008 4:07 pm

Glen wrote:That would definitely be a fake at that price :D Cheap card though. If you paid by paypal why don't you get them to honour the supposed buyer protection they offer?

I did pay with paypal,but im thinking,because the seller is no longer a registered user,it may be very difficult to get my money back.
Im not really too concerned about the speed of my new card,i want to use it pretty much for just portrait and fashion shoots,my main worry is picture quality.I have done a few tests and the quality looks the same as my genuine 1gb sandisk card,but i was wondering if anyone else has done a test comparing a genuine sandisk card with a fake one,and what their results.
Im doing a fashion shoot next week and i dont want to get home and find that a lot of the shots are no good,because of my cf card.
timno1

Postby ATJ on Tue May 20, 2008 4:27 pm

Think of a CF card like a hard disk. If it is below standard you could very well lose data or have files corrupted. It is less about the quality of the images you shoot and more about the quality of the files.

I wouldn't trust an important shoot to a fake card.
ATJ

Postby timno1 on Tue May 20, 2008 4:31 pm

Thanks ATJ.Thats pretty much what i thought,i just needed a second opinion.I think i will make a trip to my local camera store,i guess thats the only way you can be sure you are buying the genuine article.
timno1

Postby Glen on Tue May 20, 2008 4:31 pm

Seems like Paypal offers no safety net at all?

I agree with Andrew, if recorded your images will be ok, the question is about failure. Top quality cards are made of single level cells, lower quality cards are multi level cells. MLC hold twice as much data as SLC, but take 4 times as long to write to and last one tenth the time. Still $35 is a good price.
Thank You
Glen

Postby Pehpsi on Tue May 20, 2008 5:08 pm

I lost a number of images from the weekend with my genuine 4GB Extreme IV, but not with the fake Ultra II! Go figure..

Nikon D70

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

Pehpsi

Postby gstark on Tue May 20, 2008 6:24 pm

The second of those is a classic example of fogging. It's what happens when you open the CF slot while the camera is still writing to the card, and you permit light to hit the card before the file is closed for writing.

Getting back OT, the problem with the fake card is manifold. First of all, you have had the product misrepresented to you. Yes, maybe it's only $35.

This time.

It's fraud; you should do something about it.

The integrity of your data is important. Real cards can fail, but which sort of card would you think to be more reliable? The one that's backed up by a name and an organisation that you can go to, or the one that's backed by ..... oh yes, it's not backed by anyone, is it?

Speed - don't forget that there's more than just write speed involved here. The speed of off-loading the data from the card to your PC may also be an important factor: a faster card might be quicker to be able to be reused in a shoot. if you're just sitting around waiting for a dump to your PC, some cards won't even let you boil the water, while others permit a liesurely cup of coffee to be made and consumed.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Pehpsi on Tue May 27, 2008 7:49 pm

My Extreme IV had a spaz today, the camera told me to format. Used 'PhotoRescue' to get the pics back, which it did, and it also found images I deleted a few months ago from a gig!! Fancy that..
Nikon D70

20" iMac Intel C2D
Aperture 2.1
PS CS3

Pehpsi

Postby team piggy on Tue May 27, 2008 9:26 pm

Jeez, I just ordered 4 x Extreme IV - 8 gig and a couple 4 gigs, you guys calm it up, your beginning to worry me they will all fail !! Aghhh! :cry:
D3 | D700 | D300 x 2 | D200 X 2| D70s| 300 2.8VR| 70-200, 2.8VR| 28-70, 2.8|24-70 2.8 | 14-24 2.8 | 50-500| 50, 1.4| 18-200VR| 10.5 Fishy | Batt Grips| SB800 x2 | SB900 |Pocketwizards | Manfrotto's blah blah.
team piggy

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions