PotW 9 April 2013

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

PotW 9 April 2013

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:04 am

It seems that the number of images being submitted has dropped of late, which is a real shame.

We all lead such hectic lives these days. I know that photography has taken a back seat in my case. Both my wife and I have ageing parents who are not in the best of health and they need support in things like shopping and cleaning. Her dad has terminal cancer and naturally she wants to see him as frequently as possible, and as he lives a fair distance from us the time involved has curtailed other activities.

Someone whose output seems to be increasing though is Rodney (Remorhaz). And the quality is excellent too, particularly his work with longer exposures.

Possibly because of our personal situation, this recent photograph of Rodney's stopped me in my tracks.
There is something existential about the figure in the foreground (I know it's you Rodney!) under an umbrella looking towards the sea and the sky. There is a smaller figure in the distance too, and the combination of the threatening sky, the reflective water and the footbridge leading into the picture gives rise to all sorts of mental imagery. What is he waiting for? Is he going to walk further down that path? If he does, will he come back? Does he imagine himself to be that diminutive figure in the distance?

I just love photographs like this where there is lots of scope to think. The fact that it is technically almost perfect enhances the enjoyment. The only nit I would have to pick is the presence of the black bands above and below the image. Rodney must have a reason for presenting the image this way and I would love to know what it is.

Congratulations Rodney - this is powerful stuff!

Here is a link to the original thread:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=43511&start=451009#p451009
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Re: PotW 9 April 2013

Postby aim54x on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:42 am

congrats Rodney, great choice Trevor
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby gstark on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:52 am

Great commentary Trevor.

And a wonderful image.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

PotW 9 April 2013

Postby chrisk on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:08 pm

Yah, this is a real beauty. After a while the long exposures blur into each other and it's all a bit same same. All great technically...but its like eating a steak everyday to me personally. Sooner or later you just gloss over it. But this one has that hook that sets it apart from the plethora of other landscape images. It's wonderful.
chrisk

Postby Remorhaz on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks Trevor - both for the selection and the very kind words (and interesting evaluation of the theme :)). I had actually specifically taken the umbrella because I had something like this in mind (and to ward off the rain :))

As for the black bars - I've never done anything like this before so it's something I'm trying to see if I like it - predominantly it's about filling the image to a 3:2 aspect even when I crop internally (e.g. to 2:1 or 16:9 say). To be honest it's probably more about the presentation of the image on places like Google Plus where the thin strip image is lost in the stream.

Thanks Cam, Gary and Chris for your kind words and support
Remorhaz

Postby zafra52 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:37 pm

It is a lovely picture and a very good choice. Congratulations.
zafra52

Postby chrisk on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:35 pm

I like the black lines.
chrisk

Postby stubbsy on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:10 pm

Well deserved - congrats Rodney.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Return to Picture of the Week