POTW 4th March 2014 - Selection by Roozsy (Chris)

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

POTW 4th March 2014 - Selection by Roozsy (Chris)

Postby biggerry on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:58 am

This weeks tidy short list, commentary and POTW selection is brought to you by Chris K (Rooz).

Rooz wrote:As always some brilliant images from our small member group and its encouraging to see both an increase in the volume of posted images and such a broad variety of subjects. if i may make a couple of honorable mentions to begin with...

firstly to ozi's stormy days image here:
http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44228

they say in photography timing is everything, what this image shows is that's not just the time when the image is taken but also the times when the image is taken. if this was taken in any other times it would be a nice image but not a contender for POTW imo. the fact that it was taken now makes it relevant and poignant. an excellent image summing up the news of the day captured by a photographer aware of its relevance.

secondly, matt's dog nose image here:
http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44233

gary made a statement in that thread that this is the sort of image we have come to expect from matt. i have loved seeing the world thru matt's truly unique eyes but i will be controversial and say that i have not connected with matts images of late. this one made me smile and think...wow...this is an honorable mention from me to matt...thanks for getting your mojo back. now many, including matt, will say that he never lost his mojo....and that may very well be the case...i simply mean for my eyes.

the winner though, respectfully to all our other photographers, was not a difficult one for me personally. it captured my imagination from the moment i saw it. i suspect rodney has a difficult job; he sets an incredibly high standard and that being the case we can take his artistry for granted. he also has to contend with the fact that i'm typically not drawn to landscape images, (although gerry is turning me with his spectacular flickr images that he refuses to post here !), but this one is special. the person in the background adds much needed engaging depth and scale to the image that i loved immediately. wonderful stuff mate. cheers and congratulations.

rodney's batcave image here...
http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=44210

gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: POTW 4th March 2014 - Selection by Roozsy (Chris)

Postby biggerry on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:10 am

Excellent selection Chris and I really like the thoughts behind the shortlist.
Well done to MattK, Ozi and of course Rodney - you had a great morning out at Cathedral Rocks and this is a cliché classic (in a good way) gem of a image.

rooz wrote:(although gerry is turning me with his spectacular flickr images that he refuses to post here !)

:lol: we will have you loving landscapes soon :)

at this point its just a time factor Chris - i try to minimise my exposure across the mediums since i think its rude to dump and run without genuinely participating :) maybe in 17.55 years i will have some more time :shock:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:35 pm

biggerry wrote:maybe in 17.55 years i will have some more time :shock:

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby ozimax on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:59 pm

Great choice, outstanding composition, wonderful colours, well deserved POTW.
ozimax

Postby Matt. K on Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:16 pm

This POTW is as good as any National Geographics cover. Brilliant shot Rodney!
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby zafra52 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:47 pm

Greach choices. Somehow I saw the first photo, but I missed the dog's nose and the frog. I also like the view from the cave.
zafra52

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Everything about this photo is 1st class, from composition through to colour. Congrats
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Remorhaz on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:36 pm

Thankyou Chris for the selection and thanks everyone for the kind words - it's been a while between drinks

I know what Gerry means - it's very hard to keep up :) - 17.55 hey - a subliminal reference to a certain lens? :)
Remorhaz

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:12 pm

couldn't agree more with the comments already made. This image was spectacular. From the moment I saw it i thought POTW. So glad it won as it deserved to win the title. I am so impressed by this image. Seriously brilliant shot. Composition = massive tick, Colour = massive tick, contrast = massive tick and creativity =massive tick. Well done!!
bigsarg7

Return to Picture of the Week