POTW-21-01-2015

Each week, one of the moderators or administrators selects an image that, for whatever reason, catches their eye. Please feel free to add your comments here. Vigorous discussion of the images and techniques is welcome and encouraged. Criticism of any mod for their choice is not. Please note that this is "Picture of the Week"; do not confuse that with "best picture of the week", which is a concept of which we have no understanding.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

POTW-21-01-2015

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:29 pm

I've chosen this image as winner of the coveted title....it's by Ozimax and I love it because it is so......1950s photo album style, picture perfect. I love the composition with the subject tight against the left hand side of the image space.....an unusual position.....the direct eye contact, so vital for this particular image, and the receding light poles and wharf handrail which provide a strong sense of spatial perspective. The 2 small out of focus figures add a further area of interest and the obvious colour cast gives the image that old fashioned, faded Kodachrome look. Nice one! PS Sorry for the mis-spell on the portal pic ozi. I don't know how to edit it. :oops:

Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Re: POTW-21-01-2015

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Everything that Matt said.

Matt. K wrote:PS Sorry for the mis-spell on the portal pic ozi. I don't know how to edit it. :oops:

As it happens, I happen to know somebody who does. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:48 pm

Great choice, delicately edited.
bigsarg7

Postby ozimax on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Thanks Matt. Much appreciated. My eldest grandson is a quintessential Aussie kid. He loves vegemite, cricket, prawns, the beach and being outdoors. He did taste an oyster at Christmas, but getting a 5 year old to like oysters is asking a bit much. Maybe in a few years' time...
ozimax

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:19 pm

ozimax wrote:He loves vegemite, cricket, prawns, the beach and being outdoors.

Football?

Meat pies?

Kangaroos?

Chevrolet cars? :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:29 pm

gstark wrote:
ozimax wrote:He loves vegemite, cricket, prawns, the beach and being outdoors.

Football?

Meat pies?

Kangaroos?

Chevrolet cars? :)

Footy yes, but it's mid summer. (He's been brainwashed into the Rabbitoh's family from birth). Meat pies? His parents are pretty strict on his diet so he loves veggies, but I try to corrupt him when I can. Chevy cars? My VZ ute has Chevy badges all over it. Sad to say, it's now for sale on Gumtree. I am happy to report though, that the MX5 lives on. I am preparing for a crazy Stark-inspired Winter trip down south, complete with beanie, parka, long johns etc. Should be fun. And yes, the heater does work, but not the windscreen wipers. I think I'm a little off topic here. It's all Gary's fault.
ozimax

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:06 pm

ozimax wrote:I am happy to report though, that the MX5 lives on. I am preparing for a crazy Stark-inspired Winter trip down south, complete with beanie, parka, long johns etc. Should be fun. And yes, the heater does work, but not the windscreen wipers. I think I'm a little off topic here. It's all Gary's fault.

Guilty as charged.

Or 12VDC.

I 've been meaning to ask you about that ... my SLK has now been replaced by a nice shiny new C250 coupe. Sunroof is good, but not the same. What's the wiper issue? Electrics, or maniacal. Er, mechanical?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:11 pm

gstark wrote:
ozimax wrote:I am happy to report though, that the MX5 lives on. I am preparing for a crazy Stark-inspired Winter trip down south, complete with beanie, parka, long johns etc. Should be fun. And yes, the heater does work, but not the windscreen wipers. I think I'm a little off topic here. It's all Gary's fault.

Guilty as charged.

Or 12VDC.

I 've been meaning to ask you about that ... my SLK has now been replaced by a nice shiny new C250 coupe. Sunroof is good, but not the same. What's the wiper issue? Electrics, or maniacal. Er, mechanical?

Electrics are fine. They're just a tad bent etc. I will just replace them I think. I try not to drive in the rain, but that's a bit hard to do in Coffs where it pours every third hour...
ozimax

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:35 pm

Gary
I see a lot of those C250's in my rear-view mirror as I pass them on the freeway. :D :D :D :D
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby biggerry on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:04 pm

nicely chosen Matt and top image Oziman.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby zafra52 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:08 pm

Great photo and good choice.
zafra52

Return to Picture of the Week