[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 485: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 485: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4682: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3820)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4684: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3820)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4685: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3820)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4686: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3820)
DSLRUsers.com • View topic - DSLRUsers History - so how did it all start?

DSLRUsers History - so how did it all start?

A brief history of DSLRUsers.net

Moderator: Moderators

DSLRUsers History - so how did it all start?

Postby broadbean on Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:47 pm

broadbean

Postby Killakoala on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:00 pm

Steve.

Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby phillipb on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:00 pm

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:03 pm

g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Marvin on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:06 pm

Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:06 pm

g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:15 pm

The very first meet was on August 22, 2004. There were posts prior to that date, with the organisation of the meet to be attended to and such ...

but to some discussion and images that were posted following that very first meet.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sheepie on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:17 pm

Ahhh - the memories ;)

It's about time we had an "I remember when" thread - thanks for starting it!

I remember it wasn't all that long after I bought my D70 and I was looking through the DPR forum and came across Gary's thread seeing if there was interest in a local group - it was the right time, right place, and I've not looked back since :)

Didn't make the very first meet (in Circular Quay as Gary says) but did get down to the Brighton le Sands meet, which was rather different - no-one knew anyone, and certainly no-one had any idea what this group was to become!

Over the ensuing years I've made many great friends - some of which I now classify as my very best friends - and had some great times. These days, meets are like a family gathering - one where everyone gets along though - it's a bit like we're long-time friends meeting after a time of absence.

Long may it continue!
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby big pix on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:24 pm

I joined on the 17 feb 05...... and still here...... and still enjoying the site
Edit: I am member 233
Last edited by big pix on Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby sirhc55 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:32 pm

12th September 2004 a day not to be forgotten (at least by me) - the day when I came in as member #59. Where did those three years go :roll:

Friends, peers, fun, laughter but above all comradeship in the best hobby in the world (next to marriage, that is) :wink: :lol: :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:42 pm

Yep - caught a post from Gary on dpreview and joined on 22 August. Member #39.

I must say that being a member here has been very rewarding - both photographically and personally.

My History Blog:
My Photo Blog:
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby ozimax on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:04 pm

Member #326, just a newibe really, incidentally that number was also my HSC aggregate in 1979, what a totally useless piece of information, except for the fact that my two best friends in the same year got 325 and 327 respectively!

I must say the D70 camera was revolutionary in it's day, it was another class of camera.

Enjoyable post!

Ozi
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 35mm F1.8
Olympus E-M1x, Olympus 40-150 F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby phillipb on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:04 pm

I just found that thread at Dpreview,
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... ge=9804096
Have a look at the names on the right hand side, do most of them look familiar? :)

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby blacknstormy on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:42 pm

Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby ATJ on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:49 pm

#478. 8)
ATJ
ATJ

Postby Yi-P on Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:54 pm

I joined about a year after this has started, but got to mention, this is the greatest thing I ever experienced in photography community up so far. I learned so much here that I wouldn't if I didnt join. Simply the best!!

And this site is not that colourful nor attractive in its design (just very simple), but I keep visiting on weekly if not daily basis. Something I just can't stop doing... Maybe I'm addicted :roll:
YiP
Yi-P

Postby olrac on Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:29 pm

I have been around for since 8 june 2005 so that is just shy of a year after creation.

I remember reading about the first AW diner and thinking that this was a community unlike the other forums I was reading.

Looking at that old post I have one question
Whatever happened to Birddog?
For those of you who who don't know who I am talking about he is the man who introduced us to the special individual known as Poon.

Oh and does he still hold the record for most posts?
I shoot therefore I am.

olrac

Postby MCWB on Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:49 am

MCWB

Postby Pa on Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:40 am

number 677----17 april----05

learnt a lot from the members of this club [thanks all]

cheers pa
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby TonyH on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:54 am

#1146 August 2005...... and still here :D
All I know, is that I don't know enough.....
TonyH

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:07 am

g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:09 am

g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:20 am

g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby the foto fanatic on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:24 am

My History Blog:
My Photo Blog:
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:39 am

g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby norbs on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:42 am

norbs

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:51 am

g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Mal on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:59 am

This is certainly a great post. Thanks for the history lesson.
Like most who have posted I am a regular visitor but not as regular a poster. I am still wanting to crack that 1000 post mark..... one day.
For me this is the place of learning and sharing. I can look back to the day I joined (7th March 2005. #540) and see now how much my photos have improved since then.
Many thanks to Gary and all the other Mods who keep this site going for our enjoyment, education and friendship.
Mal
Mal

Postby olrac on Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:25 pm

I shoot therefore I am.

olrac

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:48 pm

g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Greg B on Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:32 pm

- - - -

Greg B

Postby SteveB on Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:49 pm

SteveB

Postby gstark on Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:05 pm

g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby stubbsy on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:06 pm

Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: ***
stubbsy

Postby ATJ on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:41 pm

ATJ
ATJ

Postby Andyt on Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:25 am

Andyt

Postby jethro on Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:33 pm

shoot it real.

look! and see. Shoot and feel
jethro

Postby HappyFotographer on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:00 pm

Member 316 here.

I stumbled across this website after I was gifted a D70 for Christmas.

While I spent time here it was fun, the people helpful and supportive and a fun bunch to meet up with. I remember after the first Anniversary gathering my husband told me I had hooked up with a great crowd of people...and he was right.

But unfortunately I am rarely here anymore...raising family, not time to do the photography I want got in my way. Occasionally I drop in and check things out, and it is good to see the familair faces still here, and the amazing work they are now producing.

I still have the D70 with no real plans to replace it.
"Sometimes when you are sad Poko, it's good to hug the monkey."
HappyFotographer

Postby broadbean on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:26 pm

broadbean

Postby HappyFotographer on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:47 pm

"Sometimes when you are sad Poko, it's good to hug the monkey."
HappyFotographer

Postby Geoff on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:05 pm

I was very enthusiastically and excited to be the 3rd member (1st after Gary and Leigh) on the forum. I was at the right place and the right time, which happened to be online (on dpreview) when I saw a post made by Gary about his desire to start up an Aussie forum...and I'm still here, and loving it. Whilst my life has become somewhat more crazy (busy) my input here has reduced somewhat but what has been said before this post is so true. There is an amazing amount of camaraderie and friendship on this forum - which has kept me close by! I'm proud I was one of the first few, and still look back at the very first 'mini meet' with great fondness :).

So, let me make this a small plug to book in for the dinner on the 8th of December if you're in Sydney, they're always a fun night :).
Geoff

Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Big Red on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:57 pm

nostalgia

member #237 joined on 15 dec 2005
heres my first post and pic
:lol:
http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php? ... ht=#148845

i have met quite a few members here and really enjoyed the photoshoots i've been lucky enough to attend :mrgreen:
Big Red

Postby Dargan on Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:03 pm

In the end we know Nothing, but in the meantime Learn like crazy.
Your Camera Does Matter Nikon D70 D200 D300
PPOK
Dargan

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:02 pm

Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby bwhinnen on Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Wow this is a trip back down memory lane. It is interesting to read your first few posts again, see the first ever pic you . I am member 200, joined in late 2004 after owning the camera for a few months ;) I think I was probably a lurker too :P

I know that I loved the community (and still do) the willingness of sharing from the other members, the criticisms that were un-biased and helpful. It is funny that all of that is still here today. Somewhat of a testament to the Moderating team and the Admin team and of course my fellow members!

Great work guys, I am happy to still be a part of this great community!

Brett
Brett Whinnen

bwhinnen

Postby Marvin on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:04 pm

As an accompaniment to this thread, this is my second post here - I thought some newer people might be interested in the story behind some of the people here.

Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby Big Red on Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:49 am

Big Red

Postby broadbean on Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:28 pm

broadbean

Postby Handlebars on Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:30 am

C&C more than welcome!
Canon 300d...(hopefully not for too long though)
http://www.redbubble.com/people/HandleBars
Handlebars

Return to DSLRUsers History