Reigniting my passion

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Reigniting my passion

Postby agitlits on Thu May 21, 2020 8:28 pm

Hi Gary and the team,

It's been many years since I posted here. To the point that my login has de-registered.
The weight of life, busy work, other hobbies and multiple kids have suppressed my passion in photography.
Until recently I still used Nikon DSLR system but I found that it no longer served my needs with frequent work travel and many bags carrying family possessions on holidays. I can no longer afford to carry a camera and lenses with me when I travel so I switched to a smaller mirrorless system.

Glad to be here. Hopefully I will post a bit more than in the past five years.

Hope you have all been well and safe.

Alex
agitlits

Re: Reigniting my passion

Postby gstark on Fri May 22, 2020 8:10 am

Hi Alex, and welcome back.

If you could please DM me your original name, I'll see if I can reinstate it for you.

Which mirrorless system did you move to? Coming from Nikon, there are obvious benefits in moving to the Nikon, with the reuse of glass etc, but that's not the full story, of course.

I've had a good play with the Canon, and a short play with the Nikon, and both have impressed me. I've heard nothing but good reports on the Sony system as well, but I've not been able to get a good hands on experience to see for myself. In all instances, the glass for these systems seems exceptional.

My previous primary objection to using a mirrorless system was that of the latency in using a digital viewfinder, but the recent releases have effectively negated that objection for me, to the point where I may buy into mirrorless in the foreseeable future. I'll be looking at the weight reduction for travel as a primary benefit; I have a seriously torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder, and that has caused me many issues in shooting, playing music, and just life in general.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby agitlits on Fri May 22, 2020 9:49 am

Hi Gary,

I think my username was simply "Alex" but may be "agitlits". I am not too sure. It's been THAT long between posts!

I went for a Leica system. I got a really good deal on Leica CL and a 23 mm F2.0 prime lens and am very happy with the combo so far. It is still expensive but the size of the combo is exactly what I need.
I was worried about the electronic viewfinder but so far I am very impressed with it, not that much different to Nikon's D700 that I had and probably easier to use.
Leica is a bloody expensive option but as I mentioned I got a good deal on it and as I am selling pretty much all of my other gear I haven't used for years and probably would never use again, I still think it's the right way to go.

I checked the FAQ and could not see that there is an option to attach jpg files to posts on this forum?

I took the below photo with the combo the same day I got the camera. Taken in jpg mode with no editing apart from USM.

Thanks
Alex
agitlits

Postby agitlits on Sun May 24, 2020 7:12 pm

Hi Gary,

I think I posted my reply but it does not appear.
Why is that?

Thanks
Alex
agitlits

Postby zafra52 on Wed May 27, 2020 4:16 pm

Welcome back Alex. :up:
zafra52

Postby gstark on Wed May 27, 2020 6:10 pm

agitlits wrote:I think I posted my reply but it does not appear.
Why is that?

You did, and it didn't. Situation normal, because you had signed in as a new member; I restrict all new mwmbers' posts in case they're going to be spammers. If they post a spam message, it's off with their heads.

So to speak.

I've just adjusted this membership to bypass that feature; sorry for not remembering to do it more quickly.

Let me see what I can do about resuscitating your old membership.

The Leica is nice gear, and that's a nice image of a fine animal. (I need a puppy here)

Basically, I don't provide any hosting for images here; you just need to host them somewhere, and provide a link to the image. That's how it's always been. Should I change that policy? I'm not averse to the concept. Please let me know.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby agitlits on Wed May 27, 2020 10:21 pm

zafra52 wrote:Welcome back Alex. :up:

Thanks a lot
agitlits

Postby agitlits on Wed May 27, 2020 10:24 pm

Thanks for the welcome Gary.
Tried to log in with the old name and the new credentials but no luck. I may have forgotten what my username was haha.. I think it was Alex or AlexD70.. Not too sure.. sorry.

Cheers

gstark wrote:
agitlits wrote:I think I posted my reply but it does not appear.
Why is that?

You did, and it didn't. Situation normal, because you had signed in as a new member; I restrict all new mwmbers' posts in case they're going to be spammers. If they post a spam message, it's off with their heads.

So to speak.

I've just adjusted this membership to bypass that feature; sorry for not remembering to do it more quickly.

Let me see what I can do about resuscitating your old membership.

The Leica is nice gear, and that's a nice image of a fine animal. (I need a puppy here)

Basically, I don't provide any hosting for images here; you just need to host them somewhere, and provide a link to the image. That's how it's always been. Should I change that policy? I'm not averse to the concept. Please let me know.
agitlits

Postby zafra52 on Sun May 31, 2020 10:29 am

It's a beautiful portrait of a very patient model. :up:
zafra52

Return to General Discussion