Video - Reliable mobile internet solution for DSLR

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Video - Reliable mobile internet solution for DSLR

Postby haring on Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:24 am

I am going to shoot a wedding. There will be activities where there will be no wifi.

Question: how can i provide myself reliable high speed wifi for broadcasting the wedding via youtube?

I usually use OBS installed on my laptop and feed video from my Canon camera into my laptop. I feed sound through wireless microphone into the laptop. OBS does the rest.

I would like to use a DSLR or mirrorless mounted on the top of a monopod or tripod. I would like to move it around as people move around.

Any advice? How should I do it?

Thanks so much!
haring

Re: Video - Reliable mobile internet solution for DSLR

Postby zafra52 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:48 pm

Question: how can i provide myself reliable high speed wifi for broadcasting the wedding via youtube?

I guess that would depend ultimately on your telephony/internet provider and the phone/internet broadband package you have with them. You might have your photo and video cameras connected to your laptop by Bluetooth but the final streaming from the device (camera, phone, laptop) to YouTube without WiFi would have to be done via mobile phone telephony. You might have a laptop that can connect directly to the Internet with a dongle or you might need to hot spot it your mobile. I advice you to do the leg work and visit the places checking for phone signals and check with you carrier; you might be out of range. Consult locally.

At a wedding I went as a guess there were a team of photographers (photographer, videographer and assistant with a mobile phone on a gimbal), one recording the video, one taking photos and the third one with the phone streaming live in YouTube. The streaming was going directly from the phone to YouTube live. I am assuming they had good broadband and reliable signal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwIk9Uc1-xc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F12NEHQOTlk
zafra52

Postby haring on Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:13 am

I think going there and test the network upstream strength is the best option.
4-6mb should make it possible.
I guess I need somebody to be with the camera.
I thought this would be easier to do.
So I have either cable wifi or network hotspot. The only way I find out whether the network is strong enough is to test.
Thanks so much!
haring

Postby zafra52 on Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:09 am

Going over the ground with equipment and someone to help and testing your WiFi and mobile signal strength is a good idea so there are no last minute surprises. When photographing landscapes, you normally have the luxury of being able to come back another day, but a wedding with its guest is a one-off event so be sure you are well prepared and ready and leave nothing to chance.
zafra52

Postby haring on Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:04 am

I tried to do this last weekend. The signal didn't support upstream at all. I had one of the fastest data plan in the USA. It may work for some but didn't work for me. WiFi signal was able to support live stream but not the phone data plan.
haring

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:06 am

Yep.

WiFi is largely irrelevant in this scenario, as it's entirely local to you, and should be under your control. It's the upstream connection available from your provider that's the critical point here, and if that's unable to support your needs, then all bets are off.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby haring on Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:45 pm

I totally agree. It was a wedding venue. Unfortunately, out of my control.
haring

Return to General Discussion