New 'Old' Body

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

New 'Old' Body

Postby newmankl on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:18 pm

So i purchased my first DSLR earlier this year, and then went on holidays. I think this is the only image that i really really like, the rest are mainly just happy snaps.

This is from a D70 with 18-70 kit lens. So far i really like it.

But none the less it is my first image I've ever shown anyone so I'm a bit nervous. I'd love some basic tips/ideas as to what you would have done as i have no idea at the moment. I think if this goes well i will continue to post up images for help.

I wasn't really thinking when i took this, i just clicked, it would have been in auto mode.

I'm not really sure what to expect, but its what everyone suggests to do.

Thanks guys,

Tim.
newmankl

Re: New 'Old' Body

Postby team piggy on Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:07 am

I like the concept of it, makes me want a nice skinny latte right now.. bugger its midnight.....

The shot is a bit dark overall, and quite shadowy, but the shadows do add some character. Maybe a bit more exposure would be my tip?
Its the old story, Practice makes perfect, keep up the good work :D
D3 | D700 | D300 x 2 | D200 X 2| D70s| 300 2.8VR| 70-200, 2.8VR| 28-70, 2.8|24-70 2.8 | 14-24 2.8 | 50-500| 50, 1.4| 18-200VR| 10.5 Fishy | Batt Grips| SB800 x2 | SB900 |Pocketwizards | Manfrotto's blah blah.
team piggy

Postby Pa on Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:30 am

the bright foreground on the right grabs your attention more so then your subject....

next time you do some thing like this try to have your subject in even light
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby aim54x on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:56 am

Try moving the glass further into the table (getting rid of the distracting top right corner - someone in PJ's??) and maybe offset the glass a little further to the left, that way the eye catching beam of bright light leads the eye onto the glass.

Great try, keep it up and you will be getting even better results.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:35 am

The white light leading to the coffee can be utilised by cropping the left hand side to remove the white patch or clone it to grey. Clone out PJ man and then take all of the shadow area back to near black. In this way the right hand white will enhance the coffee glass. In this way you will be working on a shot that exists but keep in mind what others have said for any future shot.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby blacknstormy on Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:27 am

The feedback so far pretty much covers it , PJ man is a shocker ;), but with a little PS, the shot comes up pretty well - I wanted to be drawn to those lovely reflections dnacing across the bottom of the glass, the spoon and across the plate, so after cropping, I highlighted these reflections even more with selective dodging of highlights, and used the burn tool to get rid of PJ man once and for all - this is just a play, and gives you an idea of how to tweak the shot already taken, but as sirch55 has pointed out,
sirhc55 wrote:keep in mind what others have said for any future shot
PS might allow you to tweak a shot that you've already taken, but it is far far better to have the shot in your mind and take the shot that matches that image, and the only way to do that is to keep it up :)

I've attached the reworked copy, but I will remove it immediately if it offends - I just thought it makes more sense if you can see it :?

Cheers
Rel
Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships! -Ansel Adams

http://www.redbubble.com/people/blacknstormy
blacknstormy

Postby aim54x on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:38 am

I like the rework! Great job blacknstormy and sirhc55, this is another part of the forum I love - being able to have someone show you the tip in action I find hugely advantageous over just a description. I am not a huge on PS so seeing the improvement is awesome.

Someone want to rework my images for me?? :lol:
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby newmankl on Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:06 pm

Wow, I'm astounded at the amount of replies in such a short amount of time.

I love the reworked image. Your right without the stripes it looks a lot nicer. Thanks heaps for actually showing me what was intended.

I will take a few notes of what has been said, and keep it in mind next time I'm shooting.

What a great forum,

Thanks guys,

Tim .
newmankl

Return to First Image