My new D700 - First pics

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

My new D700 - First pics

Postby Killakoala on Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:53 pm

Well what a great camera. I should have bought one sooner. Thankfully I have plenty of FX lenses to go with it. Actually I bought the lenses knowing that Nikon would eventually release a camera that supports them properly. After I charged the battery, I shot a few pics to gage how good the camera is. Here are some of the very first; (Please note, they are not great images and not for critique. They were tests. Click on them for a closer look. Images are as they were out of the camera except compressed for uploading.)

The very first image. Actually I accidentally shot this through a glass sliding door, but I still love it, :) Image was taken with a 50mm F1.4 as I especially wanted to see how it looked at 50mm. The dynamic range is amazing.

This is the third image. Taken with a 70-200mm VR F2.8 at 200mm. I am amazed at the sharpness at this range. The image is the back of my garden in Nowra. (Please excuse the pole on the far left.)

And finally the sixth image I took. With the 70-200 VR again. At 1:1 I can see two bees on the flower, good enough to compare with my old D2H in acuity, but from further away.

Whenever I use this new camera I am surprised at how good it is. There are so many options that are great including timed shots enabling me to set up the camera and set it up to shoot automatically at regular intervals. I used to do this with Nikon Capture so I had to have the camera attached to a computer to perform it. Now I don't, so expect some animated sunsets from me soon :)

My upcoming trip to New Zealand is going to be great, so long as the weather is clear. I have a new friend to accompany me.

Thanks Gary, Poon and this forum. It is quicker to get a D700 delivered to my door from Hong Kong than it is to get one from a local camera store.

:bowdown: D700
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Re: My new D700 - First pics

Postby chrisk on Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:56 pm

enjoy steve. i got my d700 the very same way. :lol:

2 things i noticed straight off the bat...
50mm quickly became my fave lens again, just like it was when i shot film.
the d700 makes every lens you own perform better.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:38 pm

Yes,I also agree. I am amazed at the progress in digital imaging in a relatively short time-frame. Remember the D70? It wasn't so long ago!

Actually, I remember when someone started posting images here that were taken with a D2x - it may have been Peter Stubbs. The difference in dynamic range and the accuracy of colour in comparison to the D70 were just incredible.

That is how I feel about the D700, especially with the 24-70mm glass on it. Imagine what a D3x must be like! :mrgreen:
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby chasem on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:40 pm

:agree: the FX makes the 50 so much more usable.

I really shoundn't of hired the d700 cause now i want one even more, you are one lucky man!
chasem

Postby aim54x on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:11 pm

Great stuff...I am getting ever more jealous everyday! I guess I will have to bide my time and get the D800 whenever that comes out...I just cant justify the D700 any time in the near future.

Enjoy the camera. PS my kit is very FX friendly as well, so if anyone is sick of their D700 or D3 please feel free to donate it to me!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Glen on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:39 am

Congratulations Steve, first image came out well for an accident :D
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Return to First Image