Canon 7D

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Canon 7D

Postby Wink on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:59 pm

These aren't the first images i've taken, but they are the first images i've taken to see how sharp the 7D and 24-105 are hand held.
All taken at f/4 with auto ISO.

Click for full size: ---> http://www.photosbyadamlee.com/Experimentation/Canon7DTests/11178549_53oMC#783689697_JqRX3-O-LB

Click for full size: ---> http://www.photosbyadamlee.com/Experimentation/Canon7DTests/11178549_53oMC#783690386_BrohS-O-LB

:cheers:
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Re: Canon 7D

Postby surenj on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:44 pm

Nice looking duck , Adam. :mrgreen: Which focus mode are you using? Have you focus microadjusted your lens?
surenj

Postby Wink on Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:09 am

Just used one shot focus with the expanded centre points activated through the custom functions.
I haven't done any micro adjustment.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby photomarcs on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:29 am

Nice ducks! QUACK! :mrgreen:

Have you tried the 9pt Zone AF system yet? i'm rather fancying that personally. The only thing that annoys me is the decision to whether or not I make the camera determine AF points via orientation or leave them as they are, always a hard choice. nevertheless, yours is alot sharper than mine out of the box LOL
Canon | Sony | Panasonic | Tamron | Sigma
My photography is still developing.
Don't be so negative!
http://www.photomarcs.com
photomarcs

Postby Wink on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:51 pm

I quite like the 5 point AF expansion setting (Page 89 of the manual. C.FN III - 6).
Basically it uses the centre point to first focus on the subject, but if the subject moves it will use the surrounding 4 points to maintain focus if the centre point can't for whatever reason.

The 9 point Zone AF you've mentioned is also quite handy.

I was thinking about having a go with the micro adjustment but it seems a little pointless to me for zoom lenses as each focal length can be different to the others, so i'm not sure how i'd settle on a value.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby Wink on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:49 pm

surenj wrote:Have you focus microadjusted your lens?

Damn you! :lol:
I gave this a try. All shot on a tripod at ISO 100 and f5.6...

50mm f/1.8 II - No adjustment:

50mm f/1.8 II - Adjustment -20:

24-105mm f/4L - No adjustment:

24-105mm f/4L - Adjustment +5:

The 50mm clearly improved a lot!
The 24-105mm had a marginal improvement. I tested it at 24, 55 and 105mm.
I didn't bother looking at increments of less than 5 because it was hard enough to see the difference there let alone at individual increments.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Return to First Image