Photoshop & EXIF data

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Photoshop & EXIF data

Postby stubbsy on Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:22 pm

I'm busily using Nikon View & PS CS to convert my masterpieces :D to jpeg from RAW. I notice that while PS keeps some of the EXIF data it discards what I consider important info like the lens used to take the pic. I'm guessing PS doesn't know about this whereas NC does. Is this correct or is there something I can do in PS to keep it?

TIA
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Re: Photoshop & EXIF data

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:25 pm

stubbsy wrote:I'm busily using Nikon View & PS CS to convert my masterpieces :D to jpeg from RAW. I notice that while PS keeps some of the EXIF data it discards what I consider important info like the lens used to take the pic. I'm guessing PS doesn't know about this whereas NC does. Is this correct or is there something I can do in PS to keep it?

TIA

Stubbsy

If you safe as a jpg then all data is retained - but if you use ”save for web” it is lost.

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby stubbsy on Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:52 pm

Chris.

I'm saving as JPEG NOT "for web" since I read elsewhere save for web was bad. However when I look at the EXIF in the jpeg not everything is kept esp the type of lens. An example is here
Peter
stubbsy

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:56 pm

stubbsy wrote:Chris.

I'm saving as JPEG NOT "for web" since I read elsewhere save for web was bad. However when I look at the EXIF in the jpeg not everything is kept esp the type of lens. An example is here

That’s interesting stubbsy - before posting my reply I took one of my photos and did a save as jpg to check and everything was AOK.

I always to a quick check before I put my foot in it.

Will investigate.

Chris
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:58 pm

stubbsy - I dragged your pic to my desk top and opened in PSCS. All of your data is there - you used a 70-200 f/2.8 lens on the shot!!! Speed 1/160th iso 400 aperture f/4.8

Chris
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby phillipb on Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:40 pm

Well that's interesting, I use a program called Opanda Iexif and it doesn't tell me what lens you used but it tells me that your focal lenght was 340mm or 510mm in 35mm equivalent. Did you use a converter?

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby stubbsy on Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:53 pm

sirhc55 wrote:stubbsy - I dragged your pic to my desk top and opened in PSCS. All of your data is there - you used a 70-200 f/2.8 lens on the shot!!! Speed 1/160th iso 400 aperture f/4.8

You're correct. I just reloaded the jpg into PS and it shows there (didn't try that before), but it ONLY shows in PS. When I look at the NEF using ThumbsPlus or Opanda EXIF it tells me the lens, but nada when I look at the jpeg. Me thinks PS moves it to a PS only spot!

phillipb wrote:Well that's interesting, I use a program called Opanda Iexif and it doesn't tell me what lens you used but it tells me that your focal lenght was 340mm or 510mm in 35mm equivalent. Did you use a converter?

Yep. as above I tried opanda and yes, I had a 1.7TC on the camera.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby sirhc55 on Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:02 pm

Peter - I don’t know much about xmp but I would guess that it is the other exif data programs that are stripping the data or unable to comprehend the data.

Chris
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Return to Tips and tricks