Food shots tips

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Food shots tips

Postby ast on Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:51 am

hi guys! need some tips!

we'll be doing some food shots tom., our equipments are as follows:

1.) 1 falcon eyes strobe (studio type with softbox)
2.) 2 SB-800s
3.) 1 Vivitar 500DG
4.) Tripods
5.) 2 D70s :) (lens: kitlens, 50mm 1.8D, sigma 70-300 APOII macro)
6.) Laptop with Nikon Capture 4.0
7.) backdrops (grey, white, apple green)
8.) reflector (round)

setting used on 50mm 1.8D lens: 1/125, f11, iso200, WB-flash, center weight metering (dont know if this is right), AF-S, Fine-L

we did some test shots lastnight, and me and my partners have some questions in mind, they are :)

1.) which lens (from what we have) will give us best photo quality (sharp)?

2.) when shooting food on a plate or bowl, where do we focus?

3.) if lets say we want to shoot the food with smoke coming out of the food, how do we go about it? :)

this will be all for now. :)

hope to hear from you guys!

thanks in advance!
http://www.myPhotoDB.com/ast

Gears: D70, kit lens, 50mm 1.8D, SB-800
ast

Postby huynhie on Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:59 am

1. from what you've got the 50 f1.8D is the sharpest

2.Select your aperature and use depth of field preview to ensure either the everything is in focus or if you select a larger aperature use depth of field preview to ensure what you are focused on is in focus(I hope this makes sense, either way just use the depth of field button before taking your shot)

3i. set fire to it

3ii. shoot while the food is hot.
huynhie

Postby Glen on Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:13 pm

I would suggest use the tripod and use a remote if you have it or timer if you don't. Cant beat a tripod shot.
Glen

Postby ast on Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:19 pm

thanks a lot for the tips so far. will try out the DOF button, some food will be on sizzling plate, it will be nice if we can capture the smoke :)

yup, we will use tripod and remote as well. :)

any more tips?

ast

Postby ast on Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:23 pm

i have an additional question, was using Nikon Capture 4.0 lastnight, but i noticed that all photos go straight to the laptop without saving to the Cf card, is there a way to set the camera to save on CF and backup on the laptop?

ast

Postby kipper on Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:31 pm

For #2

I dunno, haven't really gone into tripod setups to do food photography or still life etc yet. However I'd be inclined to setup the tripod and camera, place a plate of food (assuming plate) on the white top or whatever you're using for the plate to sit on. Aim at the centre of the plate and take a few shots with varying apertures, load them up into NC on the laptop. Pick the one with the best exposure and depth of field, and mark down these settings. Before removing the plate, I'd get a tape measure and find out the distance from the front and side to the centre of the plate. Then remove plate and mark the center with a small bit of tape. To get your centre mark. I expect it will come quite in handy to line up the position if you're bringing in freshly cooked food and want to capture fire, heat, smoke eg. Flamb''e dishes.
kipper

Postby redline on Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:37 pm

my studio teacher said throw out the 50mm. anything that give you the standard human eye view should be avoided. i would suggest using a portrait type lenses /focal length. helps keep the food as flat as possible, unless your after that rounded effect. also keep the food as fresh as possible have you shot ready before your have your meal. but your using cold flash so it wouldn't go off so quickly.
Last edited by redline on Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby birddog114 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:39 pm

redline wrote:my studio teacher said throw out the 50mm. anything that give you the standard human eye view should be avoided. i would suggest using a portrait type lenses /focal length. helps keep the food as flat as possible, unless your after that rounded effect. also keep the food as fresh as possible have you shot ready before your have your mea. but your using cold flash so it would go off so quickly.

Redline,
You meant go out and get the 85/1.4? champion? :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby redline on Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:52 pm

no the food go off by the time you got back
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby stubbsy on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:36 pm

ast

There's an art to photographing food. I remember reading an article about it in Choice magazine some years back. Basically the food has to be faked in many cases to make it look right. This involves things like using raw chicken that's browned on the outside with a blow torch (the raw inside makes it look plumper & juicier in the pic) and judicious use of toothpicks to hold things apart. Plus superglue and water mister bottles & the like.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby huynhie on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:40 pm

stubbsy wrote:ast

There's an art to photographing food. I remember reading an article about it in Choice magazine some years back. Basically the food has to be faked in many cases to make it look right. This involves things like using raw chicken that's browned on the outside with a blow torch (the raw inside makes it look plumper & juicier in the pic) and judicious use of toothpicks to hold things apart. Plus superglue and water mister bottles & the like.

I have read something similar, there seems to be alot of substitution to make the food look appealing in front of the camera.
huynhie

Postby leek on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:41 pm

Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby kipper on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:43 pm

Me raises eyebrows at blowtorching raw chicken. That's quite suprising seeing as I watch quite a few cooking shows here and in the UK. I think Rick Steins went on a photo shoot for his restaurant at one stage, I don't think there was one raw ingredient in the shot :)

Plus if the chefs are that good, the presentation won't need superglue :shock: or toothpicks :shock:. However I have no qualms about the waterbottle to give things a bit of a fine mist.
kipper

Postby boxerboy on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:44 pm

stubbsy wrote:ast

This involves things like using raw chicken that's browned on the outside with a blow torch

I've been to plenty of bbq's like that! :lol:
my karma just ran over your dogma
boxerboy

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:45 pm

As far as steam coming off food it can be done naturally or in post processing.

To actually show flaming food you use metho as it has a blue flame and looks real. Did a shoot once like this and one of the assistants picked up a piece of chicken after it had been flamed and was very ill - idiot :roll:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby kipper on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:53 pm

May I ask what sort of dish was being photographed? :)

Rum burns nice and blue too :)
The downside of using metho, is that if you have a stupid assistant as before you might get charged with attempted poisoning :)
kipper

Postby robw25 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:57 pm

try these for some tips and issue 24 of digital photography made easy has a bit about taking shots of food
cheers rob

http://www.tastingmenu.com/media/default.com

http://www.timhill.co.uk
robw25

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:53 pm

kipper wrote:May I ask what sort of dish was being photographed? :)

Rum burns nice and blue too :)
The downside of using metho, is that if you have a stupid assistant as before you might get charged with attempted poisoning :)

A flambe dish - why use good rum when metho is cheaper and under health regulations the food has to be disposed of after the photography :P
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby stubbsy on Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:38 pm

robw25 wrote:try these for some tips and issue 24 of digital photography made easy has a bit about taking shots of food
cheers rob

http://www.tastingmenu.com/media/default.com

http://www.timhill.co.uk

Rob I think the first URL should be http://www.tastingmenu.com/media/default.htm
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby robw25 on Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:45 pm

thanks stubbsy ..........
robw25

Postby LOZ on Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:05 pm

If you want steam effect, try dry ice, and gloss the food with spray cooking oil. Another trick is to pack rice noodles under the food to give it height on the plate and under cook the food.Shoot at 45deg to 65deg then focus on top 1/3 of the food .Always use a plate twice as big as the food .Best of luck.
LOZ

Postby ElRonno on Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:34 pm

redline wrote:my studio teacher said throw out the 50mm. anything that give you the standard human eye view should be avoided. i would suggest using a portrait type lenses /focal length.

Please note that on a D70 the 50mm is in fact a portait lens (50mmx1,5=75mm!).
ElRonno

Postby Aussie Dave on Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:46 pm

Lucky you uploaded the backup Gary (when the site was hacked last year), or this thread would never have seen the light of day....again :lol:

Actually, I believe that the 50mm lens is still a 50mm lens on the D70. However, the FOV is just cropped to appear like it's a 75mm lens. Magnification is still technically 50mm.....unless I am mistaken (which has happened once or twice before) :roll:

I have read many a debate about this on several forums, and this is why it's called a "crop factor", not a "magnification" factor....
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby big pix on Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:00 pm

I almost set fire to a ceiling when doing a food and model shoot as the help got a little heavy handed with the white rum we were using, as a warm coloured flame was needed....... all ended with a good shot of flame and models as one shot..........

the hint here when you need a warm flame use white rum or lemon essence which also burns red.......
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Return to Tips and tricks