How to make sand white??? :)

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

How to make sand white??? :)

Postby haring on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:44 pm

I am a wedding photographer based in Miami. I shoot a lot of beach weddings. Some of my clients want me to make the sand white. How do you achieve this so it looks great?

I have tried to desaturate the sand however I just don't like how it looks. It looks muddy and not real. How do you achieve the white sand look without traveling to Micronesia....?

Thanks so much!
haring

Re: How to make sand white??? :)

Postby gstark on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:29 pm

What white balance setting are you using?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby zafra52 on Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:30 am

Possibly it shouldn't be me giving you advice, but I take that you shoot in raw format. If so, I would open the picture in Camera Raw and play with the white balance, curves and different settings till you get a desirable effect. There are times when all the playing after a picture is taken in Photoshop or equivalent application is no substitute for the same picture taken in the correct environment and under the right conditions.
I guess, you can use a poor or mediocre picture and convert it into a work of art that people like; this could be your ticket out of a sticky situation.
zafra52

Postby Matt. K on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:06 pm

Throw a selection around the sand....go to 'HUE/SATURATION' and choose yellow from the dropdown box. Try de-saturating the sand and then do a curves adjustment to lighten it up a little. Methinks that might work.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby biggerry on Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:32 pm

post an example.

if your using a desaturation method you need to couple it with adjustment ine colour temp (and with a increase in the blue channel), or else it looks crap.

what software you using?

gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby haring on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:08 pm

I am using photoshop!
haring

Return to Tips and tricks